News   Apr 26, 2024
 578     0 

Licenses and plates may loom for Toronto cyclists

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Right-On..bring it on:)

TORONTO - The Toronto Police Services Board briefly talked about licensing cyclists Thursday.

Councillor Frances Nunziata raised the issue after Chief Bill Blair presented a report on the enforcement of cycling infractions in the city.

The York South-Weston councillor wants the city to look at licensing cyclists.

“I think that is something that we need to look at because of the number of fatalities we have on the streets,” Nunziata told the Sun following the meeting.

Blair said licensing motor vehicles is “very useful” and licensing cyclists would have some positive aspects.

“One of the more positive aspects is it does create some accountability for the owner of the bicycle that could assist us in enforcement,” he told the cop board.

He added licensing would help ensure stolen bicycles could be returned to the rightful owner.

The board also discussed the hodgepodge of bylaws within the city when it comes to bikes, particularly cycling on the sidewalk.

Blair acknowledged sidewalk cyclists are a big complaint police hear about.

Board members voted to ask city council to look at creating a comprehensive bike policy for the whole city.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/20/licenses-and-plates-may-loom-for-toronto-cyclists

If only the police force would actually enforce the laws that already exist. I see bicycles ride past cops on the side walks all the time, and the officers could care less. The City really should encourage people to be using transit, bicycles, and walking. Instead, they will just look toward this money grab, because it's not like they'll actually be enforcing it laws any more. It's a shame that a small percentage of cyclist ruin it for everyone in the end.

Licensing cyclists is ridiculous. Just write them up tickets for the laws that already exist. Bill Blair is a moron.

The number of fatalities and accidents are in great part due to a large percentage of careless, aggressive cyclists and the lack of a safe cycling network in the busy downtown/midtown areas where a large majority of cycling takes place. I'm a cyclist and have advocated elsewhere on this board for the testing and licensing of cyclists but there does need to be a more aggressive stance taken by police for those riding on sidewalks and not obeying the rules of the road along with protected cycling lane networks that actually get people to where they need to go.

Let's license pedestrians too while we're at it. As for cyclists on sidewalks I make it a policy never to move out of the way for them. I make them stop and get off their bike to pass me whenever possible. There is zero enforcement of existing policies. Why not start there at least?

As a frequent cyclist I could swallow being licensed if it was forced upon me. The people who would be hurt by this are the people who have a bike in the garage that they take it out a couple times a summer month for an evening spin around the neighbourhood. It wouldn't be worth the hassle and cost of registering for them. Either they ignore the law and take their chances or they give up bike riding entirely. Same dynamic as helmet laws.

i dont blame cyclists for cycling on suburban sidewalks since the cars treat roads like highways and there Are rarely pedestrians. in busier sidewalks and downtown i think this practice is inconsiderate and dangerous. i never bike downtown since im scared of the crazy cars and i know the sidewalks are super busy.

“One of the more positive aspects is it does create some accountability for the owner of the bicycle that could assist us in enforcement,” he (Blair) told the cop board.

The accountability of a license didn't assist the police in enforcement when Mayor Ford admitted using a cellphone while driving. The police said they would have needed to witness the infraction to issue charges.

And what is this number of fatalities of which Nunziata speaks? I believe there was one this year up near Finch caused by someone riding on a sidewalk colliding with a pedestrian. There was the incident at Dundas and Huron that cracked the skull of an elderly woman, but I can't find if she died from that. There may have been deaths to cyclists in collisions with automobiles, but only the elderly cyclist on the east side comes to mind. I do know that a pedestrian was killed at Wilson Tuesday morning when he was hit by a minivan.

So while we're talking about licensing. Kids can't ride bicycles then? Are they gonna enforce it so only 18 yrs and older can own a bicycle? :O

The accountability of a license didn't assist the police in enforcement when Mayor Ford admitted using a cellphone while driving. The police said they would have needed to witness the infraction to issue charges.

And what is this number of fatalities of which Nunziata speaks? I believe there was one this year up near Finch caused by someone riding on a sidewalk colliding with a pedestrian. There was the incident at Dundas and Huron that cracked the skull of an elderly woman, but I can't find if she died from that. There may have been deaths to cyclists in collisions with automobiles, but only the elderly cyclist on the east side comes to mind. I do know that a pedestrian was killed at Wilson Tuesday morning when he was hit by a minivan.

im pretty sure there are more cyclists killed by cars when riding on suburb roads then there are pedestrians killed by cyclists in the sidewalks in the suburbs. the reality is that just as its not safe for pedestrians to have to avoid cyclists it is also not safe for bikes on certain roads. the problem for cyclists is that the roads are always busy. where as only some sidewalks sre busy. normally downtown sidewalks.

closer to the downtown there is road then sidewalk. in the suburbs it goes road, patch of grass then sidewalk. if all these patches of grass were converted to bike lanes there would be a solution. the argument will be unfortunately, are there enough cyclists to justify this construction in these areas. its ironic that this is never a question asked about sidewalks in extreme rural areas.

This is all about discouraging people from riding bikes on city streets. One more slap in the face to cyclists.

No, it proves that Ford has no backbone when it comes to unions.

Rob Ford (or maybe Doug) loves the police. Rob (or maybe Doug) Ford did mention that the work police do guarding construction sites with coffee and doughnut in hand is worth billions. They need to be on the same side of the police, given Rob's previous run ins with the law, and it doesn't hurt politically. Conservatives love the "tough on crime" image.

As a frequent cyclist I could swallow being licensed if it was forced upon me. The people who would be hurt by this are the people who have a bike in the garage that they take it out a couple times a summer month for an evening spin around the neighbourhood. It wouldn't be worth the hassle and cost of registering for them. Either they ignore the law and take their chances or they give up bike riding entirely. Same dynamic as helmet laws.

I know a this would create a loophole however, I always thought why not "license" or "register" those cyclists that use their bikes as their only mode of transportation? This could separate the leisurely cyclists from the commuter cyclist. I also had a thought that if cyclists pay a sort of "user-fee" that those "fees" could essentially be used for bike infrastructure within the city.

Any thoughts?
Just brainstorming...

Back