News   Apr 16, 2024
 64     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 652     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 468     3 

Liberty Village pedestrian link

There is a certain pucker factor by the lift operators —

Many commuters would have had a bad week with a fully blocked USRC in an accidental drop.

Even mundane things like a sinkhole under a crane feet, and the need to doublecheck before a critical lift.

Kudos on getting all these logistics through! Now you can sleep easy.

The designer of this bridge should be ashamed! This is truly an atrocity.....

I'm happier with this one than with the more extravagant "international design competition" approach that built the one in Weston. Nothing wrong with infrastructure that is functional. It's in the right place and is going to be well used. The surroundings aren't any architectural peach, and actually this fits in pretty well.

- Paul

Might you want to wait until it is completed before passing judgement?

Dan
Before its finished? Ha! This thing has only downwards to go...my friend.

I have no issue with utilitarian designs, but chain link fencing and sloped concrete bridge with simple concrete piers would have been miles better than this. This is neither utilitarian or functional. It's intentionally made to look like this, to sell it.

Last edited:
Might you want to wait until it is completed before passing judgement?

Dan

The designer of this bridge should be ashamed! This is truly an atrocity.....

Put the "blame" on who asked for the cheapest and not the best looking, the Mayor Rob Ford administration.

Before its finished? Ha! This thing has only downwards to go...my friend.

I have no issue with utilitarian designs, but chain link fencing and sloped concrete bridge with simple concrete piers would have been miles better than this. This is neither utilitarian or functional. It's intentionally made to look like this, to sell it.
Are you going to use this bridge or be near it on a regular basis that it would disturb your lifestyle to have it be in your presence? Complaining about a multi billion dollar hack job that is Union station is one thing, but this bridge is so minuscule youre honestly wasting your breath, especially since it's not even complete yet.

Are you going to use this bridge or be near it on a regular basis that it would disturb your lifestyle to have it be in your presence? Complaining about a multi billion dollar hack job that is Union station is one thing, but this bridge is so minuscule youre honestly wasting your breath, especially since its not even complete yet.
It's comments like yours that dissuade people from having a proper dialogue about our built environment. Not to mention, why I comment so infrequently.

Sept 24, 2019

Looks medieval.

DSC02054.JPG

DSC02057.JPG

DSC02059.JPG

DSC02062.JPG

DSC02065.JPG

DSC02068.JPG

DSC02071.JPG

DSC02074.JPG

DSC02078.JPG

DSC02085.JPG

DSC02087.JPG

Behold - a bridge befitting of the distinct architectural character of Liberty Village.

Oh, and those elevators - that will breakdown consistently - mainly due to the vast majority of people being too lazy to use the stairs, only to be closed indefinitely due to the increasing costs of repairs, while those who are unable to climb said stairs, will be left without a bridge. Genius.

Oh, and those elevators - that will breakdown consistently - mainly due to the vast majority of people being too lazy to use the stairs, only to be closed indefinitely due to the increasing costs of repairs, while those who are unable to climb said stairs, will be left without a bridge. Genius.

Hopefully it won't develop a reputation similar to Edmonton's funicular - installed at great expense to help people access the downtown from the river walk, and vv - it's not attended, and all it takes to take it out of service is for anyone to press the Emergency Stop button. Sits largely idle on weekends and holidays because there is no city employee on duty to send out to restart it, and paying overtime for callouts just isn't on.

- Paul

Back