News   Apr 16, 2024
 646     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 463     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 826     1 

Lesser recognized buildings in Toronto that you enjoy

Although as per the photo, the Dundas frontage has been a bit "adulterated" from its original prismatic white brick form.

That's a *really* strange place; I think it was actually built as an urban *hotel* in the 60s, though I don't know what the client was ingesting if he really believed that Dundas & Keele would be a marketable tourist-accommodation proposition in those years (and w/o parking, yet). In any case, it soon enough became a hospice/residence and has remained so ever since.

BTW the view of it from the back alley is fascinating, in that the balconies lend a bit of a "Lorraine Motel" effect.

William Burgess PS in East York (1914), which owes a lot to Dwight Perkins' "Prairie schools" in Chicago--quite avant-garde for its time and place
IMG_0595-2.jpg
Avant-garde indeed, and aging extremely well. At a century plus this gem has a more contemporary feel than many a building thrown up in this town in the 21st century.

I've always been fond of these rentals near Alexander Muir park at Yonge and Lawrence

muir.jpg

And these two buildings (actually connected at the back) across from Rosedale station really stand out

rosedale.jpg

Attachments

• muir.jpg
    muir.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 998
  • rosedale.jpg
    rosedale.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 1,071
What happened with the Bellwoods plan?

Last quote anywhere regarding this was from January 2017. Previous estimates had a slated move-in date for summer 2017. I haven't even heard anything in the beer community grapevine regarding it still happening, or been dropped. A third facility was always needed (Hafis was going to be a barrel storage and brewing site not open to the public, but landlord delays shuffled the cards in their hand).

Source: Ben's Beer Blog
BBB: Lastly, what the heck is going on with 950 Dupont?
MC: The project has been delayed for the last 18 months while the landlord of the building reconfigures tenant areas and prepares to renovate. The landlord has a huge amount of work to do to the building before we can even start our work. It’s out of our hands at the moment. Our guess is it will be a minimum of a year before Bellwoods will even be doing any work in that building. In the meantime we’ll be focusing on improving everything we do at Hafis Rd. and Ossington.

EDIT:

There does seem to be some active use... All out of the control of future tenants.
https://950lofteventspace.com/
https://www.instagram.com/950lofteventspace/

Google cache for real estate page dated May 12: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...erscanada.com/24206+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Toronto Hydro Wiltshire Ave Station (near Davenport and Symington).

20180713_200629.jpg

Attachments

• 20180713_200629.jpg
    20180713_200629.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 1,086
This is one of the first buildings mentioned in this thread, posted by @ADRM on the first page.

I don't quite get the appeal of this one, but obviously I appear to be in the minority.

For me, personally, the shabbiness is part of the appeal. I'm assuming that is part of what you find unappealing.

I think it would've been better without the green horizontal siding they put up in, I suppose, the 70s. (But at least the windows look original)

Maybe these aren't all that 'lesser recognized', but a couple that came to mind.

Cylinder on Alexander. It's a bit unattractive with the blue and white, but look how tall and round it is. Impossible not to notice when catching a glimpse from afar. I believe it's 16-sided (hexadecagon).

round-bldg-alexander-st.png

The Huge Garner Coop. So weirdly shaped. There's brick, then orange and black aluminum-clad up top. With *bay windows*. What.

Huge-Garner-Coop.png

And...do you believe in magic? Just cuz it causes curiosity to passersby. I could've sworn this building had a pentagram adornment out front but perhaps it's a false memory.

Magic-bldg-sumach.png

Attachments

• round-bldg-alexander-st.png
    round-bldg-alexander-st.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,887
  • Huge-Garner-Coop.png
    Huge-Garner-Coop.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,734
  • Magic-bldg-sumach.png
    Magic-bldg-sumach.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,733

Back