News   Mar 28, 2024
 446     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 382     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 732     0 

Lesser recognized buildings in Toronto that you enjoy

The elevators are a little less death-star now: they replaced the red LEDs with a more brightly lit waffle ceiling...

Despite some rather off-putting modern touches, I've always enjoyed the slender, unassuming proportions of 76 Church. With the 5-floor setback, it's easy to miss this 9 story mini-scraper all together:

904909-Large-76-church-street.jpg
924199-Large-76-church-street-toronto-canada-canada-exterior-fullheightview-looking-northeast.jpg

904917-Large-76-church-street.jpg
917346-Large-76-church-street-toronto-canada-canada-exterior-top-upper-east-face.jpg

Despite some rather off-putting modern touches, I've always enjoyed the slender, unassuming proportions of 76 Church. With the 5-floor setback, it's easy to miss this 9 story mini-scraper all together:

904909-Large-76-church-street.jpg
924199-Large-76-church-street-toronto-canada-canada-exterior-fullheightview-looking-northeast.jpg

904917-Large-76-church-street.jpg
917346-Large-76-church-street-toronto-canada-canada-exterior-top-upper-east-face.jpg
Reminds me of the story behind the Newby-McMahon Building in Wichita Falls

The profile of 76 Church is pretty neat, along with its obscure dome and spire up top. Would be nice to see a photo of it before the coat of white paint, but I was unable to find one.

If it was more ornate, it strikes me as something you may find in a place like Buenos Aires or Sao Paulo.

Interestingly enough, that was one of the first residential conversions of a 50s office building in Toronto--and it remains one of the best, i.e. quite sympathetic to the original form. (Probably validated by such contemporary precedents as the BC Hydro/Electra conversion in Vancouver.)

Back