UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
UrbanToronto Year-End Poll: Vote On The Best Buildings of 2018
ALSO

Lesser recognized buildings in Toronto that you enjoy

Avenue

Leaside Towers are definitely amazing. Shame about the location though (and rental instead of condo).

AlbertC

Attachments

adma

Superstar
The former Faberge plant on Queen Elizabeth Drive, a Parkin recipient of a Massey Medal in 1950--now Great Lakes Brewing (and surprisingly intact, right down to the wiggly brown brick wall by the entrance--you can tell that they adore their premises, even though it still lacks "official" heritage status)

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member

adHominem

I love the organic and rustic look that was achieved through the unusual cladding. It makes the building a landmark. What kind of cladding is it?
Curious about this myself! You can see a similar effect on the bridges (which I've always loved) between the Canada Life building on University and 190 Simcoe.

adHominem

There's a whole strip along Eglinton West that I love. I should really go out on a nice day and take proper photos while they're still around, rather than relying on Google Streetview.

Forest Hill Manor, 790 Eglinton West:

forest-hill-manor-790.png

Savoy Plaza, 130 Old Forest Hill Road (pre-reno):

savoy-plaza-130-old-fh.png

The Crofton, 740 Eglinton West:

crofton-740.png

The Roycroft, 736 Eglinton West:

roycroft-736.png

Hmm. Come to think of it, maybe I just like buildings with names written in cool mid-century type.

Attachments

Skeezix

A few modernist churches that I have always admired:

1. St. Peter's Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church, on Mount Pleasant just north of Eglinton. The interior of this church, with the stained glass, is amazing.

Lutheran3.JPG
Lutheran2.JPG

(Credit: Kaido Haagen)

2. Holy Eucharist Ukrainian Catholic Church on Broadview Avenue, overlooking Riverdale Park East and the Don Valley. A landmark.

Ukrainian.jpg
(Credit:Keith Armstrong)

3. The Estonian Baptist Church on Broadview Avenue, in East York. The building has seen better days, but I love the exuberant 1960s architecture. There is something almost Brady Bunch-esque about this church.

Estonian2.png

(Credit:Jennifer Vieira)

Attachments