Legacy, Ultra, Yorkland @ Heron's Hill Condos (Monarch Homes) - Real Estate

I'm still in the 10 days cooling period with Emerald city. What's bad feedbacks have you heard? Anyone else care to inform me before my 10 days cooling period over? I'm going to check out Legacy and Ultra as well this weekend.

What do you guys think of this 627sq feet 9' foot ceiling 1 bedroom + den layout for $267,400(after $15k credit) 1 parking and locker included? It's facing North east on the 8th floor. I think it's a great layout. Could you analyze this for me in all aspects, Solaris and Alex S? You guys are great!

http://www.emeraldcitycondos.ca/flash/assets/pdfs/floorplans/poppy.pdf

I was also quite interested at the Emerald at one point and I was ready to put a deposit on the Azalea unit until they raised their prices which kind of turned me off. That wasn't the deal breaker but it was more of the neighborhood around Emerald. There's too many lower housing apartments which makes me wonder about the people in the area and also as investment. I love having direct access to subway, but I would lean towards Ultra mainly cuz I'll be further away from neighborhood. I also like the fact Ultra offers stainless steel appliances as standards and "2 sinks" whereas Emerald would be an upgrade.

Good luck....I know it's a tough decision.

I was also quite interested at the Emerald at one point and I was ready to put a deposit on the Azalea unit until they raised their prices which kind of turned me off. That wasn't the deal breaker but it was more of the neighborhood around Emerald. There's too many lower housing apartments which makes me wonder about the people in the area and also as investment. I love having direct access to subway, but I would lean towards Ultra mainly cuz I'll be further away from neighborhood. I also like the fact Ultra offers stainless steel appliances as standards and "2 sinks" whereas Emerald would be an upgrade.

Good luck....I know it's a tough decision.

I also have a tough time deciding between Ultra and Emerald. And I finally picked Daffodil from Emerald over Ultra (the showroom 2 bedroom + den unit). I have considered the points below before I made up the final decision:

1. our family have been living around the area for 15 yrs, we know the neighbourhood inside out, so we have no bad feelings about the surrounding
2. the unit is for my soon retiring parents, so proximity to retail and public transit is a must (especially winter)
3. I like Emerald's standard 9' ceiling and feel that their layouts would be more practical

In general, I like both, but you really need to ask yourself what you need and what Ultra and Emerald can offer. Hope that helps!

I also have a tough time deciding between Ultra and Emerald. And I finally picked Daffodil from Emerald over Ultra (the showroom 2 bedroom + den unit). I have considered the points below before I made up the final decision:

1. our family have been living around the area for 15 yrs, we know the neighbourhood inside out, so we have no bad feelings about the surrounding
2. the unit is for my soon retiring parents, so proximity to retail and public transit is a must (especially winter)
3. I like Emerald's standard 9' ceiling and feel that their layouts would be more practical

In general, I like both, but you really need to ask yourself what you need and what Ultra and Emerald can offer. Hope that helps!
I used to live in Finch and leslie and I liked it. I didn't have any problem and; I have been living in North york until now. The reason I asked is because the Emerald City thread in this forum hasn't gotten many hits as any other threads and it made me wonder why. Just base on the plan, I think Emeral City is a good buy. It has its own direct access to TTC and the mall through underground. I read Solaris's thread and he said he heard not so good feedback from Forest Parkway. It made me wonder again. I want to make sure that I'm not getting myself into a trouble. I don't like Ultra cause it only has 8' ceiling.

I'm still wating for Solaris and Alex S analysis of the suite that I chose. :)

Do you guys know whether I have to pay the full HST first then get a rebate, or will it be done right on the application by my lawyer so I don't have to pay the full HST first? I know I won't have $20k extra to pay for the full HST.

Is Emerald city and emerald park different developers?

Newbuyer, emerald city alreadys has furnitures placed in their floorplans. I'm not too good at doing pros and cons.

Newbuyer, emerald city alreadys has furnitures placed in their floorplans. I'm not too good at doing pros and cons.

yup. Emerald City = Elad Group, Emerald Park = Bazis

what do you think about the floor plan and the whole deal that I got?

I'm still in the 10 days cooling period with Emerald city. What's bad feedbacks have you heard? Anyone else care to inform me before my 10 days cooling period over? I'm going to check out Legacy and Ultra as well this weekend.

What do you guys think of this 627sq feet 9' foot ceiling 1 bedroom + den layout for $267,400(after $15k credit) 1 parking and locker included? It's facing North east on the 8th floor. I think it's a great layout. Could you analyze this for me in all aspects, Solaris and Alex S? You guys are great!

http://www.emeraldcitycondos.ca/flash/assets/pdfs/floorplans/poppy.pdf

newbuyer ... I'll try my best to provide some thoughts on the unit (being no expert or anything ;))... and I'll respond appropriately in the Emerald City condo thread ~

One thing I'm learning is that it's hard to be happy with everything about a condo. Obviously there are some good things with either Ultra and Emerald and I had a hard time to decide too. It's gonna come down what's more important to each individual and go from there.

I do agreed the layouts in Emerald is more appealing and the 9" ceiling. Price is slightly more. But would the neighborhood sort of hurt the value of investment over time? Or the fact you have direct access to subway and mall sort of over ride any negatives?

This might not be a big deal, this developer is new to Canada, no? Or Toronto at least. Some ppl have a preference over more reputable home builders. This may or may not be factor to some, but it's a thought.

On a side not. I seriously doubt it will be ready in 2011, is it? They still have to rebuild newer low rise apartments for the current tenants then start on Emerald. I see more 2012 at least is more realistic.

One thing I'm learning is that it's hard to be happy with everything about a condo. Obviously there are some good things with either Ultra and Emerald and I had a hard time to decide too. It's gonna come down what's more important to each individual and go from there.

I do agreed the layouts in Emerald is more appealing and the 9" ceiling. Price is slightly more. But would the neighborhood sort of hurt the value of investment over time? Or the fact you have direct access to subway and mall sort of over ride any negatives?

This might not be a big deal, this developer is new to Canada, no? Or Toronto at least. Some ppl have a preference over more reputable home builders. This may or may not be factor to some, but it's a thought.

On a side not. I seriously doubt it will be ready in 2011, is it? They still have to rebuild newer low rise apartments for the current tenants then start on Emerald. I see more 2012 at least is more realistic.
According to the proposed plan, they should start the construction on Emerald City tower 1 on September 2009. That is 2 months from now. I don't know whether they are going to start on time or not. I hope it will be. I don't see the rental building being a down side, aside from the colour. I think they will renovate everyone of them as well to match emerald city project. Beside, many condos downtown are surrounded by old and ugly premises. People still buy them.

How many condos out there have its own private direct access to the mall and TTC? Emrelad city also has 2 storeys lobby.

Last edited:
Legacy & Ultra @ Heron's Hill

I am getting a Vista 722 at 20th floor for 283K in Ultra. What do you guys think about the price point ? This is the best they can do they said. Any buyers of Ultra around ? specifically any buyers for Vista 722 ? or Vista 713 ? Just wanted to do a price check and wanted to see how is their agreement of sale like ? Is it pretty standard or did any one find any catches in the standard documentation ?

I am getting a Vista 722 at 20th floor for 283K in Ultra. What do you guys think about the price point ? This is the best they can do they said. Any buyers of Ultra around ? specifically any buyers for Vista 722 ? or Vista 713 ? Just wanted to do a price check and wanted to see how is their agreement of sale like ? Is it pretty standard or did any one find any catches in the standard documentation ?
What you need to do is to have the builder to cover the provincial portion of 8% when the HST takes effect in July 2010. If they don't then you are looking to pay an extra 8% of the pruchase price upon closing.

What you need to do is to have the builder to cover the provincial portion of 8% when the HST takes effect in July 2010. If they don't then you are looking to pay an extra 8% of the pruchase price upon closing.

Hey Newbuyer, I have been told that all purchases under 400K are exempted from HST !? is that correct ? I was under the impression that regardless - HST will only effect if the value of the new constructed house or condo is above 400K - Should this be true, Seesus will not have any impact upon closing !? please correct me if i dont have my information right - thanks :)

Hey Newbuyer, I have been told that all purchases under 400K are exempted from HST !? is that correct ? I was under the impression that regardless - HST will only effect if the value of the new constructed house or condo is above 400K - Should this be true, Seesus will not have any impact upon closing !? please correct me if i dont have my information right - thanks :)
According to the latest update from CRA, they will give 75% rebate back on the 8% provincial portion for new homes under $400k. The tricky part is no one knows how is this going to play out. There is no detail information about this. Everything is still up in the air. Some scenarios:
- You still could be asked to pay the 8% then the government will refund you 6% back, or
-The government totally exempt all new homes under $400k, or
-there wil be rebate on the spot just like how the OLTT and TLTT are implemented, therefore you don't have to worry about coming up with an extra 8%.

If you think that you will have extra dough by the time it closes, then don't worry about it. But, if you are on tight budget then it might be a good idea to have the builder cover the HST for you.

I was pretty close of getting this unit too, but the last time I checked which was like 2 weeks ago, they had nothing left below 23rd. I was looking at the 25th or 26th for around 284K(after the discount)....so I'm not sure how you got that price at 20th. Unless they raised the price recently. Did you buy this long ago?

If you think that you will have extra dough by the time it closes, then don't worry about it. But, if you are on tight budget then it might be a good idea to have the builder cover the HST for you.

This might have been discussed else where, but i would ask it here as well - as to how will this work. Lets assume i purchased a pre-con house on July.2.2008 (signed the paperwork) and its occupancy lets say is in 2011 - will i still be hit with HST or will my signing date help me to get exempted, should this impact houses below 400K. At that time there wasnt any HST and I am wondering if this will still impact me - I am pretty much screwed and so would be a lot of purchasers who purchased along the time frame when HST was non existent. Could the builder be approached on this after this long ? what are the thoughts here ?

Back