Legacy, Ultra, Yorkland @ Heron's Hill Condos (Monarch Homes) - Real Estate

The kitchen/living area is pretty poorly layed out like solaris said. Just out of curiosity of how one can layout the room, i've shuffled a few furniture aroudn and this is all I can come up with that is livable. Everything's to scale

drawing1.jpg

Based on the above I think you'd be better off putting the dining table in the den and placing the sofas facing each other so as not to run parallel to the kitchen. Either way, as Solaris said it's a tough floorplan to work with when laying out the main room.

c78616b1-db55-414e-8c3b-cc9ac95411af_floorPlan.jpg

Vista 722 suite, my thoughts:

PROS
  1. nice wide useable balcony
  2. walk in closet in master bedroom provides dream storage space
  3. sliding door access to balcony from all rooms

CONS
  • both bedrooms are small (10x10 and 9x9)
  • washer/dryer located in master bedroom is awkward
  • wasted space wtih approx 8 foot long hallway @ entry
  • enclosed/separate kitchen makes the unit looks smaller, maybe little clausphobic to cook in ... this is more typical of condo from mid-1990s ?
  • balcony is shared/connected with units on both sides, only separated by 'privacy screens' which often provide little privacy
  • 16'6" long living/dining room will be insufficient to put dining table and sofa, for typical living/dining room arrangments I believe 18'6" is minimum ... this space would only work if you plan for small round table and love seat

you are definitely an investor (e.g., waste sqft on hallway), lol.

Hey Solaris, can you do the same pros/cons review for the 661sqft 1+1 unit and perhaps have a furniture layout to scale on the floorplan as well and how much you think the unit can rent for by the time of completion.

Thanks in advance!

Right off the bat you can see a lot of wasted hallway spaces again. That's one thing I don't like about Monarch is that they have such a few selection of good floorplans. Is this Monarch's fault or is it mostly the architects?

Right off the bat you can see a lot of wasted hallway spaces again. That's one thing I don't like about Monarch is that they have such a few selection of good floorplans. Is this Monarch's fault or is it mostly the architects?

Somehow I can tolerate the 722 over the 665. The wasted space in 665 seems more blatantly obvious whereas at least the 722, you have better arrangement of furniture.

you are definitely an investor (e.g., waste sqft on hallway), lol.

Hey Solaris, can you do the same pros/cons review for the 661sqft 1+1 unit and perhaps have a furniture layout to scale on the floorplan as well and how much you think the unit can rent for by the time of completion.

Thanks in advance!

I'm flattered argos ... but nope I'm no investor, just your typical Torontonian who's interest in new developments, floorplan layouts, and happens to work in the Urban Planning field :D

I hate long hallways because (a) it wastes precious sq.ft. in a small condo typical nowadays and (b) creates visual impairment upon entry into a suite, a nice open floorplan upon entry is one that makes an impression on your visiting guests ;)

Unfortunately I can't help you with the furniture layout mock-up, maybe Alex S could help if you request?

my thoughts on the Ultimo 661 suite as requested ~

c694a8bf-d275-4c64-817f-8e1441d04f9a_floorPlan.jpg

PROs
  1. no question, unobstructed (22-38th floor) south views are the amazing ... and plenty of sunlight too
  2. I think you also get 9' ceiling on these floors which is always a PLUS
  3. nice to have a walk in closet in the bedroom
  4. nice sized den with 3 usable walls (anything larger than 7' x 7' is big nowadays)
  5. walkouts to balcony from both bedroom and living room is a PLUS

CONs
  1. hm... where to start? the LONG HALLWAY !! approx 11 feet at the entrance PLUS another hallway leading to the Den ... that quite some sq.ft. lost in this 661 sq.ft. unit, you can calculate the % of space lost
  2. balcony connected to neighbours on both sides provides little privacy
  3. small living/dining/kitchen space, take note that 19' includes the kitchen cabinetry, so in effect you only have 17' of floor space to work with, within which you must put a dining table and living room seating, one would HAVE TO put a round table in the kitchen (like a conventional country kitchen layout) in order for this floorplan to work, but I personally don't like eating right IN the kitchen and would prefer a distinctly delineated yet visually connected dining space ... that's just me though
  4. that little 'nook' in the living room wall on the left looks to be about 8'6", which means you can fit a comfortable sofa in there ... and nothing more !
  5. the last point here is perhaps the main reason why this suite hasn't sold I think ... there's a garbage chute that this suite surrounds !! (bounded by the entrance closet, the den, and the washer/dryer)

Good points. The proximity to the garbage shoot can be convienient. Since the garbage isn't going to sit in that room, it's not gonna smell bad. One thing to tack on the con list if you don't mind me doing so, is that you have a wall that is shared with the elevator shaft. Although the wall looks like 10 to 12" thick, there's a possibility that you'll hear elevator noise at night. Not only that but you'll get a lot of traffic in front of your door.

On the same note as the elevator ... the problem of having the garbage chute next to the suite is not so much the smell, but rather the noise related to garbage being dumped down the chute ~

wow, thanks!

Alex S, can you kindly put in some furniture to scale on your free time. i would really like to see what can fit in this unit.

you guys are great, thanks in advance.

Alex S, Your work is really fantastic and infact the way you think of placing the furniture in these spaces is great as well :) I was wondering if you would be able to render some furniture in the 722 sqft unit as well .. Just for comparison sake :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex S, Your work is really fantastic and infact the way you think of placing the furniture in these spaces is great as well :) I was wondering if you would be able to render some furniture in the 722 sqft unit as well .. Just for comparison sake :)

Thanks Rocky. I can only work on this when i take a break from work.

722.jpg

Last edited:
same as argos ... if I were to choose a high floor tower suite in either Emerald City or Heron's Hill ... I would choose the latter

yes its not right on the suway, but being in the pure rental apartments neighbourhood concerns me ... plus I hear no so good feedback on Parkway Forest
I'm still in the 10 days cooling period with Emerald city. What's bad feedbacks have you heard? Anyone else care to inform me before my 10 days cooling period over? I'm going to check out Legacy and Ultra as well this weekend.

What do you guys think of this 627sq feet 9' foot ceiling 1 bedroom + den layout for $267,400(after $15k credit) 1 parking and locker included? It's facing North east on the 8th floor. I think it's a great layout. Could you analyze this for me in all aspects, Solaris and Alex S? You guys are great!

http://www.emeraldcitycondos.ca/flash/assets/pdfs/floorplans/poppy.pdf

Last edited:

Back