News   May 28, 2024
 671     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 510     0 

Laneway and Garden Houses (various)

What does "pre-WW2" city mean again?

It's the neighbourhoods that were built prior to World War 2, i.e., from the founding of Toronto until the late 1930s / early 1940s.

Really, this is downtown + streetcar suburbs. It is before the winding "garden city" type of suburban development really caught on. It is also shorthand for the more walkable neighbourhoods that initially developed before cars became a preoccupation for planning of new neighbourhoods.

When you are attuned to it, it is very easy nearly at a glance to determine if a given location is in a pre- or post-WW2 developed neighbourhood in Toronto (or really any Canadian city).

It's the neighbourhoods that were built prior to World War 2, i.e., from the founding of Toronto until the late 1930s / early 1940s.

Really, this is downtown + streetcar suburbs. It is before the winding "garden city" type of suburban development really caught on. It is also shorthand for the more walkable neighbourhoods that initially developed before cars became a preoccupation for planning of new neighbourhoods.

When you are attuned to it, it is very easy nearly at a glance to determine if a given location is in a pre- or post-WW2 developed neighbourhood in Toronto (or really any Canadian city).
Small nitpick, but this is an interesting topic. I would say that sometimes the lines can blur in areas built immediately before/after WWII with 1950s suburbs. Car use was creeping in, some commercial spaces have parking, and the housing typologies can range dramatically. Wealthy neighbourhoods from the time are low-density like true postwar suburbs, poorer neighbourhoods have seen mish-mashed development patterns, and the war stimulated some rapidly-constructed worker's cottage neighbourhoods that feel like 1950s subdivisions. Essentially, there's an approximately 20-year period of ambiguity where these things clashed... In Toronto, I think of areas like Cosburn in East York, and neighbourhoods adjacent to Eglinton W (before Etobicoke). In Hamilton, I imagine Westdale, the Parkdale area and the mountain around/ just south of Concession. They have prewar 'bones' but were developed for a car-oriented lifestyle.

Is South Etobicoke part of this?

Around Dufferin Street and Alma Ave:

20230528_145257.jpg
20230528_145417.jpg

Located on Lee Ave, just south of Kingston Road in the Beaches/Upper Beaches area:

346 LEE AVE
Ward 19: Beaches-East York

Lee Terrace Developments proposes to use an existing right-of-way/laneway extending westerly from Lee Avenue as the principal access to the public street for the three new dwelling units. The laneway comprises a portion of land adjacent to the rear of the properties located at 346, 348 and 350 Lee Avenue. Historically, the rear portion of the lots located at 535, 535A, 537 and 537A Kingston Road were combined with 342 Lee Avenue. Permission has been given through OMB and the site plan approval dated - March 2017 to build three detached 3 storey residential units. As per the OMB decision, the project is classified as a common element condominium.

leeave.JPG

A duplex and laneway suite planned along Jones Ave, a few blocks south of Danforth:

477 JONES AVE
Ward 14: Toronto-Danforth

To construct a new three-storey, two-unit, detached dwelling with a front porch, a rear ground floor deck, a second storey rear balcony, and front and rear third storey balconies. Also, to construct a two-storey detached ancillary building (for the use of a laneway suite) in the rear yard of the property (abutting the lane), with a second storey rear balcony. The existing two-and-one-half-storey detached dwelling will be demolished.

jones.JPG

A duplex and laneway suite planned along Jones Ave, a few blocks south of Danforth:

477 JONES AVE
Ward 14: Toronto-Danforth

To construct a new three-storey, two-unit, detached dwelling with a front porch, a rear ground floor deck, a second storey rear balcony, and front and rear third storey balconies. Also, to construct a two-storey detached ancillary building (for the use of a laneway suite) in the rear yard of the property (abutting the lane), with a second storey rear balcony. The existing two-and-one-half-storey detached dwelling will be demolished.

Hopefully we see more 'plexes getting proposed soon and then I think we should probably have a separate Duplex/Triplex/Quadplex thread.

10 A KENSINGTON AVE
Ward 11: University-Rosedale

Proposal for a 3-storey mixed-use building having a residential gross floor area of 301.87 square metres, and a non-residential gross floor area of 120.23 square metres. A total of 3 residential dwelling units are proposed.

kenz.JPG

I wonder if along with the new zoning changes permitting for multiplexes, if Toronto should follow in the footsteps of LA and provide a selection of standardized designs to help speed along the process?

Back