News   Jul 16, 2024
 320     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 500     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 620     2 

Laneway and Garden Houses (various)

This one is interesting. It proposes to add a unit above an existing garage that will be retained. I wonder what the cost is to do that but am guessing it would be lower than a complete rebuild. Also has a rooftop green roof that would increase useable outdoor space thus providing a reason to ask to exceed lot coverage maximums as well as improving the aesthetics of the area. Finally, there seem to be a lot of these going up in this specific area.
IMG_3157.png
IMG_3156.png
IMG_3155.png

Last edited:
This one is interesting. It proposes to add a unit above an existing garage that will be retained. I wonder what the cost is to do that but am guessing it would be lower than a complete rebuild. Also has a rooftop green roof that would increase useable outdoor space thus providing a reason to ask to exceed lot coverage maximums as well as improving the aesthetics of the area. Finally, there seem to be a lot of these going up in this specific area. View attachment 490203View attachment 490204View attachment 490205
I like it, but wonder at the need for three full bathrooms in a two bedroom apartment.

Reactions: vic
This is on the east side of Dufferin around Alma. Something is going up on the corner of the street and the laneway and it will be interesting to see if has a modified design to take advantage of the arterial frontage. Maybe a three storey structure or higher? Btw there is a garage a bit further north on the same side that is a stacked garage which, to my knowledge, is the first of its kind in Toronto.
IMG_3220.jpeg

Need to start tallying up the laneway houses that are clad in that black aluminum. Starting to feel that it's mandatory or something.

There's a standalone laneway lot for sale behind 774 Manning: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/26155786/rear-774-manning-ave-toronto-annex

1697996063752.png

Curious if anyone knows how building on a rear lot like this would work? My understanding of the laneway housing by-laws is that laneway structures must be a part of the main house, from an address/municipal services perspective. I assume a project here would have to go through a different process.

Back