News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 351     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 913     1 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Yup, Ferdinand Bolstraat at Quellijnstraat looking south towards the Albert Cuyp Market. How do those businesses survive without parking spots in front of them!!!

The Dutch business owners and employees probably use the public transit to get to their business.

Unlike the King Street businesses, who need a parking spot in front of their business for the business owner or employees to park their SUVs.

The Dutch business owners and employees probably use the public transit to get to their business.

Unlike the King Street businesses, who need a parking spot in front of their business for the business owner or employees to park their SUVs.
People probably don't harass you or pee shoot up on the tram as much as here

How often does this happen to you? I've taken the TTC for decades and never seen anyone pee/shoot up or been harassed.
about every other trip, though lately it's rare it's directed at me. I've even been sexually harassed as a guy in the bathroom. It was actually the kick in the pants that got me to start driving, I kept getting personally harassed on dates when we'd subway home.
Even saw a guy PEEING ONTO THE TRACKS at ~5pm at yonge and bloor. Funny since it's one of the few stops with a bathroom!

There were like 3000 security related delays alone last year, depending on your route chances are good it will at least delay you.

How often does this happen to you? I've taken the TTC for decades and never seen anyone pee/shoot up or been harassed.
I have had someone coat the floor of a bus in vomit once. Fortunately I was at the front of the bus as we were arriving at my stop as the wave of vomit was washing toward me

about every other trip, though lately it's rare it's directed at me. I've even been sexually harassed as a guy in the bathroom. It was actually the kick in the pants that got me to start driving, I kept getting personally harassed on dates when we'd subway home.
Even saw a guy PEEING ONTO THE TRACKS at ~5pm at yonge and bloor. Funny since it's one of the few stops with a bathroom!

There were like 3000 security related delays alone last year, depending on your route chances are good it will at least delay you.
That is surprising for me to hear. How are harassed defined here? Do they come by and ask for change once or is it when there is an aggressive interaction with you?

I am with you that security needs to be ramped up big time on the TTC.

That is surprising for me to hear. How are harassed defined here? Do they come by and ask for change once or is it when there is an aggressive interaction with you?

I am with you that security needs to be ramped up big time on the TTC.
The spare change people have never given me a problem when I said no, some guy made fun of me in Spanish once but I just laughed.

I’ve had crazy guys come up to me and my date and ask sexual questions or start insulting us, I’ve had crack heads walking around insulting people and they actually ended up fighting a guy. Normally they just SCREAM and threaten murder but not to anyone specific. I’ve had people ask to see my phone. I’ve seen people smoking cigs, kids opening the doors causing the driver to stop the train.

As for security I want more but the issue is they’d most likely stay in their cars since they can’t traverse the system to an incident if trains are holding

Most of the above are reasons for having a TTC human onboard the automated trains, at all times. A security camera does not have "smell-vision". What is worse is the bean-counters who got rid off the day-time cleaners, who would clean up the discarded newspapers, spillage, etc..

I ride the TTC almost every day (though admittedly very rarely in the evenings, thanks to having a small kid) and I don't think I've ever been personally harassed. I have witnessed it, and some more security could be warranted in a few places, but you are never going to have security in every train just because someone might be screaming on occasion.

In terms of there just being more people out in public who are struggling with addiction and mental health, and who may do things that seem disturbing to others in the same public space, that's a problem across the whole city right now, which the city/province doesn't seem to be that interested in doing anything about.

Most of the above are reasons for having a TTC human onboard the automated trains, at all times. A security camera does not have "smell-vision". What is worse is the bean-counters who got rid off the day-time cleaners, who would clean up the discarded newspapers, spillage, etc..
AFAIK cleaning happens at the end of the lines, I've seen it at kennedy but not kipling though

These aren't TTC problems, or Toronto or transit problems. They're public realm problems that apply everywhere. The mental health and substance abuse problems chickens that we've been raising for the last 50 years are coming home to roost. Politicians on the left, right and centre really don't have solutions, and residents and riders are voting with their feet. This discussion is about the future of dense urban areas post-pandemic, and really deserves its own thread.

Back