News   May 09, 2024
 212     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 483     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.8K     4 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Personally, I'd want nothing less than private jet and a little pied a terre on the Côte D'Azur.
You laugh but what I wanted was attainable 20 years ago, and still is depending on your commute length.
A 3 bedroom condo is about the same cost as a house not that far out of downtown considering appreciation and criminally high maintence costs over 20 years

You have the freedom to make choices in your personal consumption. Living in downtown Toronto is not a human right, much less in a detached house with a white picket fence for your 2.5 kids.

You have the freedom to make choices in your personal consumption. Living in downtown Toronto is not a human right, much less in a detached house with a white picket fence for your 2.5 kids.
Never stated I wanted to live downtown, it's just sad what people can expect has gone way down the last 20 years.

Well yeah, in 20 years Toronto has gone from a pretty sleepy hamlet to a bustling international megacity. There is less room to go around. There were less than 4M people in the GTA in 1990 and well over 6M today. Despite that, the average size of dwellings (even considering the shrinking size of apartments) has gone up.

Well yeah, in 20 years Toronto has gone from a pretty sleepy hamlet to a bustling international megacity. There is less room to go around. There were less than 4M people in the GTA in 1990 and well over 6M today. Despite that, the average size of dwellings (even considering the shrinking size of apartments) has gone up.
Don't think it's grown so much a house costing 800k in Orillia makes sense

When you have 2.5M new people and you build hardly any dwellings, they have to go somewhere. Places like Orillia are often it. We just hired someone who lives in Cobourg!

When you have 2.5M new people and you build hardly any dwellings, they have to go somewhere. Places like Orillia are often it. We just hired someone who lives in Cobourg!
It’s actually interesting they have a transit system (a Chevy express van) That runs to Oshua go in the morning and back in the evening. I think it’s a new service I’m surprised they didn’t have enough ridership the started earlier though

Some of the suburban houses have so much big square footage (including finished basements) that they could take in a single, a couple, or a small family, once the owner's children have grown up and moved out. IF, and its a big IF, at the moment, the municipality's by-laws allow it.

Some of the suburban houses have so much big square footage (including finished basements) that they could take in a single, a couple, or a small family, once the owner's children have grown up and moved out. IF, and its a big IF, at the moment, the municipality's by-laws allow it.
Many of them are so big that 10 or more people from multiple generations live in them, which is good for housing people, but creates various health and safety risks. Which could be regulated by municipalities, but many of them refuse to recognize the reality on the ground.

Many of them are so big that 10 or more people from multiple generations live in them, which is good for housing people, but creates various health and safety risks. Which could be regulated by municipalities, but many of them refuse to recognize the reality on the ground.
In Brampton, 20 or more people live in one of those "monster mansions". One reason for why their public transit has a "high" ridership (excluding Toronto, of course).

In Brampton, 20 or more people live in one of those "monster mansions". One reason for why their public transit has a "high" ridership (excluding Toronto, of course).
I don't think this is that common. It would show up in the census stats of household size.

I don't think this is that common. It would show up in the census stats of household size.
I have worked processing census forms several years ago. It was interesting to open up the envelopes (no internet back then) and see the numbers. Many counts were in the teens, some in the twenties. The largest number of people at one Brampton house, that I counted, was 28. Don't know about today.

Back