News   Apr 15, 2024
 942     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 647     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Unless streetcar drivers stop at an intersection to allow a bus to pass it on the right, which would be a tight squeeze for buses, then these buses will be driving in gaps between streetcars.
That's exactly it. The drivers talk. TTC drivers are friendly to their fellow TTC drivers so I'd imagine if the bus driver wanted to pass, the streetcar driver would understand and allow it.

Yes of course TTC has never thought about, or is incompetent about, whether there is room for buses to pass streetcars.
Yes of course some rando on a chat board knows more about this than the TTC.
/endsarcasm

Last edited:
No, there isn’t. There is effectively only one lane each way on King Street. The former curb lane is used for transit stops, bike share stations, art installations, semi-permanent patios and taxi stands. There’s a right turn lane at every intersection but it’s not intended for passing because the lane ends on the other side. Unless streetcar drivers stop at an intersection to allow a bus to pass it on the right, which would be a tight squeeze for buses, then these buses will be driving in gaps between streetcars.

Yep. I noticed that the spot the TTC picked for the eastbound express bus stop on King at Jordan Street has very recently been taken over by a Bike Share Toronto station. I bet no one at the TTC bothered to actually check if that was open space or not. I'm sure this won't be noted before November 25, and there will be a surprise mad scramble on that day with no one able to figure out what to do.

Even in the very few and limited spots where the 503 bus can pass a streetcar it never does. There's too many obstacles. Now the new express buses will turn the already large streetcar/bus queues at Yonge and University into gigantic lines. It will be fun to see this arrangement cancelled two days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traffic can be extremely bad on Richmond/Adelaide in the afternoon rush, so bad that some of these buses are almost empty and extremely slow.

The 14X express buses moving on King at the same speed as the King streetcars will be much faster, moving steadily.

It was ongoing an hour ago.

I saw it yesterday right after I passed by the University stop where there were three(!) cars stopped inside the damn thing.

I saw it yesterday right after I passed by the University stop where there were three(!) cars stopped inside the damn thing.
They were working further west and were not doing any work at the University stop - you probably just saw the usual illegal parking at stops (which the new raised ones ought to prevent.)

Now it's Yonge Street's turn. See link.

If only they could put the rapid transit under Yonge Street. ;) :eek:
It wouldn't made any different today, as Toronto Roads were a Zoo and a parking Lot.

It took 7 lights for an eastbound 504A to move 200' at Bay St. I counted 4 LRV plus 4590 at the rear between Yonge & Church going east. 2 cars turn north on Church. A driver was bitching about the out of service car that turn out to be 4590 I found when I looked at the photos I shoot for the day after I uploaded them to the computer. Try telling this driver it was the traffic in front of the LRV's causing the issue, but he wanted out of the mad hat city. The cop told him to go north on Yonge to the 401 to Get to Milton.

What do you expect when you have 6 lanes merging into 1 lane on King. You had Adelaide force to go south on Yonge and both north and southbound lanes on King going ear. Saw the east Queens Quay and the Lakeshore and a parking lot going east. Everything north-south was close west of Sherbourne, as well Front/Wellington/Adelaide from what I saw first hand. The driver should had fought the traffic to Sherbourne to get on the Gardner than try Yonge as it was bumper to bumper going north to Dundas.

3 504B pass me going west before an 504A car show up after the parade was over.

Support Yonge to a single lane n/s road.

Much better than what was there before, but I’m still wondering since this is permanent now, why waste money on these platforms, instead of properly extending the sidewalk. Also, why replicate the poor Roncesvalles design where the bike lane conflicts so much with passengers, instead of having it go around the stop.
One immediate flaw I see is the use of a yellow ”yield to pedestrians” sign. Under the HTA, don’t yellow signs mean recommended/suggested, while white signs are obligatory and also police enforceable? Can a cyclist failing to yield be charged with this signage? I foresee an unnecessary legal battle.

Protected Bike Lanes that Work for Everyone
Protected bike lanes and intersections are important for bike and pedestrian safety, but what about people who have physical challenges or visual impairments?

See link.

WalkSFCover.png

A new instruction guide developed by Walk SF and others shows how to make sure protected infrastructure doesn't encumber or endanger the disabled. Illustration by Eric Tuvel.

bus.jpg

An example of what not to do. This bus boarding island at Potrero and 16th in San Francisco requires bus riders to go down and up again to cross the bike lane at street level. Advocates want bikes to rise up instead. Photo: Streetsblog/Rudick

WalkSFBullets.png

Noparatransitpickups.png

An example of what not to do from the guide. In this case, the lack of breaks in the planter strip make paratransit loading challenging. Illustration by Eric Tuvel.

Walk S.F. is making this manual available to the public, with the hope that other cities will incorporate its recommendations.

It’s accessible here (PDF).

Back