News   Apr 26, 2024
 639     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 231     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

This isn't hard. Some green paint would do wonders. Paint a little biker on the platform so even the braindead will know that they're not to stand there. Seems so bloody obvious that I'm almost impressed they didnt do this from the start

maybe we should stop catering to cyclists on every street especially if there isn't space for them to be able to use it safely all of the time.

Cyclists are going to use King Street regardless. Without these platforms, we'd just be creating a more dangerous situation for pedestrians.

Cyclists than can reasonably use alternative routes will use them. The fact that they'll have crowds of pedestrians regularly blocking their path on King should effectively deter the bulk of cyclists from using King as a major thoroughfare.

There will absolutely be pedestrian-cyclist collisions, but this seems like the least-evil option.

Here’s the finished Portland platform.

Photos: City of Toronto

The City has also cleared up that there will only in fact be 2 stops with platforms while they test them and work out the kinks. It’s unlikely that the entire route will get these modular platforms because in 2023 they’re going to rip up the street entirely and build permanent platforms.

The fact that they'll have crowds of pedestrians regularly blocking their path on King should effectively deter the bulk of cyclists from using King as a major thoroughfare.
simple pedestrians outnumber cyclists as do commuters and car drivers and adding more cycling lanes and such are not going to all of a sudden make everyone who uses public transit or owns a car all of a sudden decided I'm going to buy a bike and cycle instead of using public transit. Cyclists who say that are living ina dream world and should move to Europe because they think its better there.

Ok let’s just ban cars then - we can’t cater to them all the time when there isn’t space ;)

Used to be ALL the streets in Toronto were two-way streets. That was fine when people actually used to streets to walk on, kids to play sports on, and horses to trot along, without taking too much real estate.

Then the cars started using up space on the street to park. That narrowed the streets too much. So the city created one-way streets because of the automobile.

20150126-1900s-King-Edward-LAC.jpg

Looking west on King from outside the King Edward Hotel. From link. Note the people walking on the sidewalks and street itself. Even an automobile parked on the "wrong side of the street".

King Street has the same ROW as this street in Katowice, Poland. I understand this is just a pilot, but I don't see any reason why we don't transform the entire street accordingly. Wider sidewalks, space for cyclists to navigate, safe waiting area for the streetcar, and local traffic & deliveries are allowed.

1574442441203.png 1574442472325.png

Back