News   Jun 17, 2024
 176     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

"With the odd streetcar...?" The King streetcar is the busiest surface route in Toronto, 65 000 riders a day. Not sure what you're harping on about.

torontoboy, obviously there's an issue since we're having the pilot project in the first place. Do you ride the streetcar during rush hour? Are you trying to argue that north/south traffic jams are not causing a slowdown on King and even Queen St?

I have taken this route twice a day for the last 7 years.

Your post makes 0 sense.

Are bicyclist considered people?
It's an odd thing, I cycle everywhere in this province, haven't had a driver's licence here for generations, still have my UK and California ones though, although neither is recognized after a year in Ontario. Ontario charges you money to renew the driver's licence. The others don't, but they retest you if they do have to. Ontario should do same. How did I lose my licence here, even being a truck, cab, and motorcyclist? I failed to send them money one year. That's it! Ontariariario. Zero demerits lost from a decade of commercial driving.

As a cyclist, *even when I have to walk the bike a few blocks*!!! I still shop. Why is that so difficult for so many other cyclists? What if a store is on a one-way street? And you're facing the wrong way? Does that mean you don't walk for a block to get where you want to go?

The real test is going to be Friday and Saturday night. Since the clubs moved in, it's been a real shit show. Given how much police presence is already down here on weekends, I'm curious how well the street will work with fewer cars but so many pedestrians. They would do well to install crowd barriers to widen the sidewalks into the curb lanes.

For the record, I'm not optimistic it's going to go well despite the police presence. There are always cars pulling over or parking illegally even with swarms of cops around. And if streetcars are suck behind an endless stream of taxis, it'll be a failure. Some blocks just need to be shut down to traffic and given fully to streetcars and pedestrians.

Last edited:
Bring in the cavalry....err, traffic wardens.

Seriously, the traffic wardens cant come quick enough. The success or failure of this pilot will be most impacted by them. Will they have the ability to write tickets?
I had also favoured this initially, but as Paul had pointed out, and it's slowly dawning on me, many of the drivers are so irate that best the ticketing officer, if a Highway Traffic Act offence, be armed. That means being a full-fledged cop. City Hall is completely asleep on this. Where's the budget to do it? I raised that point a few posts back. No enforcement, the thing collapses. How can anyone be surprised by this? Council had best pass an emergency motion and fast to budget the TSP to enforce this long-term.

Heavy handed enforcement is not a long term solution. The design is broken. It has been since they chose it. It was a compromise and I knew right away that it depended too critically on driver compliance. People in this city do not follow rules.
I'm not sue that many posters get that, let alone City Hall. *As it stands*..."heavy handed enforcement" is the only option to allowing other options to work.

The street design should enforce the desired flow whereas any rule breaking is immediately obvious and deliberate.
It's certainly far too intuitive for most Torontonians.

Kinda reminds me of liquor laws in this Province. Ontarians, given looser liquor laws, (and God help us, dope laws, and believe me, I'm no prude, spent years in the music biz in three nations) will just get drunk en masse and act-up.

The same mentality happens on the roads, unless enforced.

Last edited:
Given how much police presence is already down here on weekends,
I used to have a studio a decade back above one of stores on south side of Queen, just east of Spadina. Backed onto "This Is London".

Ummm...where to start, besides the shootings, barfing, pissing, shidding, basic rampant azzhole behaviour in the lane and public square (now sold to private and high rise going up).

And there were lots of cops. Paid duty. Some on the take. Won't get into that, but the 52 shakeup had a lot to do with it.

Cops on paid duty don't give an F except doing the job they're getting paid for at the time. All of those clubs have hired duty cops, it's part of the licensing agreement with many. The point is, they're not going to be enforcing King Street.

Council has to pass an emergency motion to fund the TPS to police King after the two weeks is up.

Council had best past an emergency motion and fast to budget the TSP to enforce this long-term.

Why would TPS need a budget for this? Seems like it would be a cash cow for them. Just a few tickets an hour would more than offset the cost of the officer, I would think.

Why would TPS need a budget for this? Seems like it would be a cash cow for them. Just a few tickets an hour would more than offset the cost of the officer, I would think.
Cops don't get the money, the courts don't even get it, it's the City and Province. Head of the TPS Board was pleading exactly this case months back, and Council was warned.

I've posted it in this string from a couple of months back, I'm not adept at searching this string, I'm spoiled by far more intuitive search engines, but I'll see if I can find it with Google.

The City was warned...City gets parking tickets, Province gets HTA infraction conviction fines.

Cops won't hand out parking tickets unless specifically on that duty and paid by the City to do Bylaw enforcement.

Remember, this project, just like cycling infrastructure, is a mish-mash of overlapping legal jurisdictions. City Bylaw officers should be out en-masse ticketing and towing parking scofflaws, and cops should be enforcing the HTA.

Last edited:
Heavy handed enforcement is not a long term solution. The design is broken. It has been since they chose it. It was a compromise and I knew right away that it depended too critically on driver compliance. People in this city do not follow rules.

The street design should enforce the desired flow whereas any rule breaking is immediately obvious and deliberate.

Alternating one ways would do that. Any driver going through the intersection would be met with this.

View attachment 127377

Any car that actually drives through this sign would be completely obvious because they’d be driving in the wrong direction for a block. It’s self enforcing.

Would alternating one ways be any better, when cars could ignore the DO NOT ENTER sign and drive on the steetcar tracks?

Would alternating one ways be any better, when cars could ignore the DO NOT ENTER sign and drive on the steetcar tracks?

They would have nowhere to go:

IMG_0450.JPG

In this example from the Alternating Loops option, a car would arrive at the intersection and see their route blocked by a sidewalk. There's no Eastbound lane. To be sure, we'd have to block off the streetcar lane to all vehicles but streetcars. Flexible bollards leading up to intersections and deep cuts in the road would keep out all but the most determined rule breaker and they'd have nowhere to go since there'd be no curb lane, leaving them vulnerable for an entire block, a sitting duck for police. People that try to get away with breaking the rules look around for cops but they wouldn't try that if they knew that they can get caught down the road where they can't see. It's the same reason people don't intentionally drive the wrong way down one way streets. For a finished road after the pilot, that streetcar lane could be a raised curb at intersections.

If drivers don't understand signage (how the F*ck did they get a license anyway?), then they will understand hard infrastructure. A dead end, is a dead end.

Attachments

• IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 276
For the pilot they should really have had signals like the following with three phases:

1. Red car signal, transit signal green, separate bicycle signal green, pedestrian walk
2. Red car signal with green right arrow, transit signal green, bicycle signal green, pedestrian don't walk
3. Red car signal, transit signal red, bicycle signal red, pedestrian don't walk, opposing road is green

The transit signal could be the white vertical bar.

After 10pm, phase 2 would need to be a regular solid green to handle the taxi exemption. Ideally the late night taxi exemption wouldn't exist, or the signal could just not have a solid green spot so drivers would realize going straight wasn't possible.

While drivers could claim ignorance of any signs, it's harder to do so for red lights whether they are new or not. Cars going through reds I assume are much less common than ignoring turn restrictions. My understanding is that photos cannot be used to enforce those not following signs, but red light cameras can be used, avoiding the need for manual enforcement here as the signal is never not red for cars.

For the pilot they should really have had signals like the following with three phases:

1. Red car signal, transit signal green, separate bicycle signal green, pedestrian walk
2. Red car signal with green right arrow, transit signal green, bicycle signal green, pedestrian don't walk
3. Red car signal, transit signal red, bicycle signal red, pedestrian don't walk, opposing road is green

The transit signal could be the white vertical bar.

The transit signal cannot be the white vertical bar. That signal means (in Toronto) that you can turn left or right, but not go straight (see King & Sumach for example). In order to change that meaning, you'd first need to change every existing transit signal in the City - which is also difficult given that Ontario only permits that one type of bar and not the diagonal bars used elsewhere for turns.

The person(s) on the bicycle are people, just like the person (usually the only person) in an automobile, or pedestrian walking. (And like the 70+ people in a streetcar.)
Thanks for taking my question at face value; it might have been better to use the word bicycles instead of bicyclists.

Back