News   Jul 16, 2024
 372     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 478     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

So the “real test” begun today, as many have pointed out.

Thus far there is no traffic on King, and still no congestion at Bathurst or Jarvis. It’s working.
Isn’t the real concern how the alternative East - West routes handle the displaced King traffic? How are Richmond/Adelaide/Front/Queen moving?

https://twitter.com/NEWSTALK1010/status/930433059891109889

Driver blaming the King St. pilot for her hitting a pedestrian this morning.
I read it as the driver saying they were unfamiliar with their setting/surrounding because they normally drive on King.

Not excusing her.....just not seeing her saying “I cannot drive on King anymore so I hit a pedestrian”

It is a variation of a concern I expressed last week when talking to friends.....a whole lot of people who do not normally drive with bike lanes beside them will now be on Richmond or Adelaide.....it is an extra shoulder check necessary before making a turn....and since many of these people will be making turns, i would exercise a bit more caution while in the bike lanes until these folk figure it out.

It is a variation of a concern I expressed last week when talking to friends.....a whole lot of people who do not normally drive with bike lanes beside them will now be on Richmond or Adelaide.....it is an extra shoulder check necessary before making a turn....and since many of these people will be making turns, i would exercise a bit more caution while in the bike lanes until these folk figure it out.

So these people are regularly driving downtown, and they haven't been shoulder checking for bikes when making a right turn? The fact that they haven't hit a bike until now is sheer luck, because bikers are biking all over downtown Toronto.

I always, always, always shoulder check when making a right turn. Even if I'm in rural areas I'll do it. You never know where people will be biking.

So these people are regularly driving downtown, and they haven't been shoulder checking for bikes when making a right turn? The fact that they haven't hit a bike until now is sheer luck, because bikers are biking all over downtown Toronto.

I always, always, always shoulder check when making a right turn. Even if I'm in rural areas I'll do it. You never know where people will be biking.
As do I.....and I can tell you it is a deeper shoulder check at a different angle and you have to look farther back when there are bike lanes......we can ignore these things and just revert to a “blame the big bad driver “ or we can accept and anticipate that changing people’s routines will raise challenges.

I don't buy this. Crosswalks work the same way regardless of what street you're on.
Yes they do.....but what she was probably saying was “I was trying to figure out I get from this new Point A to my old Point B and I made a mistake”......again, I am not excusing her.....just understanding what she is saying.

A lovely ride on the 514 this morning. Nice and fast.
Any rough guess how much faster? Doubtless it will change day to day, but good to know how to gauge expectations with further improvement to the Project.

it is an extra shoulder check necessary before making a turn....and since many of these people will be making turns, i would exercise a bit more caution while in the bike lanes until these folk figure it out.

As do I.....and I can tell you it is a deeper shoulder check at a different angle and you have to look farther back when there are bike lanes.
If you want to survive, you have to. An incredible number of cyclists don't. Sometimes it's necessary...often...to double check before making moves, there's no room for error on a bike.

"Measure twice, cut once".

As for the pedestrian target practice driver, bet she reads the Stun:

Do you support the King St. pilot project? (This is from two hours ago)

upload_2017-11-14_11-28-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-14_11-28-18.png
    upload_2017-11-14_11-28-18.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:

Back