360     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Jasonzed's myDrone Activity of Toronto and Area

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be football lines, but outside of school hours I think more people are playing soccer there on any given day.

Of course, soccer is more properly called Football...........the world knows this.............

Less known, is that this game (with minor rule variances) that North Americans call football should, in fact, be called Hand Egg!

The definition of ball, as per the Cambridge Dictionary would seem to preclude the object in this game being described as a ball.

A round object that can roll and usually bounce and that is used in many games in which it is thrown, hit, or kicked:

Since it also spends most of its time in players hands, not at the point or side of their feet; Hand Egg would seem the much more apt name!

May be football lines, but outside of school hours I think more people are playing soccer there on any given day.

That's obviously not the point. Football was developed at the colleges and universities of central Canada in the 1860s and later exported to the United States (McGill - Harvard series in 1872). Football is as Canadian as peanut butter, hockey, and the telephone. What's astonishing (and sad) is how many Torontonians don't know these things. They think football is something we imported from the US. They, by extension, don't value it and conclude it has little/no value.

Football is a part of our cultural heritage. No one is telling people they need to like football but that they display a little more respect for this country's traditions, history, and culture.

Of course, soccer is more properly called Football...........the world knows this.............

Less known, is that this game (with minor rule variances) that North Americans call football should, in fact, be called Hand Egg!

The definition of ball, as per the Cambridge Dictionary would seem to preclude the object in this game being described as a ball.

A round object that can roll and usually bounce and that is used in many games in which it is thrown, hit, or kicked:

Since it also spends most of its time in players hands, not at the point or side of their feet; Hand Egg would seem the much more apt name!

That's not witty or funny. You may not be from Canada originally but I'm sure you've had ample time to learn about Canadian culture and its history. Being ignorant of it is NOT an excuse. What's next mocking/disrespecting hockey and the flag?

And btw, over the doorway at the U of T football team locker is a sign that reads 'Know Who You Are'. It's in reference to football tracing its roots to this school. The first documented football game was one played at University College at the University of Toronto in 1861. Not only does football come from Canada but it arguably traces its roots to Toronto. It's what makes it all doubly bizarre and unbelievable that it's Torontonians crapping on it.

Last edited:
That's obviously not the point. Football was developed at the colleges and universities of central Canada in the 1860s and later exported to the United States (McGill - Harvard series in 1872). Football is as Canadian as peanut butter, hockey, and the telephone. What's astonishing (and sad) is how many Torontonians don't know these things. They think football is something we imported from the US. They, by extension, don't value it and conclude it has little/no value.

Football is a part of our cultural heritage. No one is telling people they need to like football but that they display a little more respect for this country's traditions, history, and culture.

That's not witty or funny. You may not be from Canada originally but I'm sure you've had ample time to learn about Canadian culture and its history. Being ignorant of it is NOT an excuse. What's next mocking/disrespecting hockey and the flag?

And btw, over the doorway at the U of T football team locker is a sign that reads 'Know Who You Are'. It's in reference to football tracing its roots to this school. The first documented football game was one played at University College at the University of Toronto in 1861. Not only does football come from Canada but it arguably traces its roots to Toronto. It's what makes it all doubly bizarre and unbelievable that it's Torontonians crapping on it.

Being rude to me earns you no respect from anyone, myself included.

If you can't express yourself moderately and thoughtfully, kindly don't bother.

PS......I know plenty about U of T..........its my alma mater.

I wonder if those early (1860s) games of "football" in Canada were actually versions of British RUGBY.

DJI_0383.JPG
DJI_0390.JPG
DJI_0368.JPG
DJI_0393.JPG
DJI_0391.JPG
DJI_0351.JPG
DJI_0343.JPG
DJI_0348.JPG
DJI_0357.JPG

DJI_0372.JPG

It's kind of bizarre seeing all these condos and intensification being built right next to those detached homes near Burnhamthorpe Rd. I wonder what a long time home owner in that area makes of all the construction. Although I would imagine in the last 5-7 years a lot of those houses in that area have been bought by investors who are now operating the houses as boarding homes for students.

You really need to lighten up a bit. There are doubtless many possible ways that rugby and soccer 'combined' to become 'football" - here is what that internet thing says, at least on this website: https://www.history.com/news/who-invented-football

The sport we in the United States know as football is more properly called gridiron football, for the vertical yard lines that mark the field. Closely related to two English sports—rugby and soccer (or association football)—gridiron football originated at universities in North America, primarily the United States, in the late 19th century. On November 6, 1869, players from Princeton and Rutgers held the first intercollegiate football contest in New Brunswick, New Jersey, playing a soccer-style game with rules adapted from the London Football Association. While a number of other elite Northeastern colleges took up the sport in the 1870s, Harvard University maintained its distance by sticking to a rugby-soccer hybrid called the “Boston Game.” In May 1874, after a match against McGill University of Montreal, the Harvard players decided they preferred McGill’s rugby-style rules to their own. In 1875, Harvard and Yale played their first intercollegiate match, and Yale players and spectators (including Princeton students) embraced the rugby style as well.
he man most responsible for the transition from this rugby-like game to the sport of football we know today was Walter Camp, known as the “Father of American Football.” As a Yale undergraduate and medical student from 1876 to 1881, he played halfback and served as team captain, equivalent to head coach at the time. Even more importantly, he was the guiding force on the rules board of the newly formed Intercollegiate Football Association (IFA). Thanks to Camp, the IFA made two key innovations to the fledgling game: It did away with the opening “scrummage” or “scrum” and introduced the requirement that a team give up the ball after failing to move down the field a specified yardage in a certain number of “downs.” Among the other innovations Camp introduced were the 11-man team, the quarterback position, the line of scrimmage, offensive signal-calling and the scoring scale used in football today. In addition to his work with the rules board, Camp coached the Yale team to a 67-2 record from 1888 to 1892—all while working as an executive at a watch-manufacturing firm.

You should really rename this to Mississauga and area. Definitely about 75 % of these pics are of Mississauga. Great pics and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back