News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 638     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 918     0 

Jarvis and Dundas

One bit of good news: a sushi joint just opened in the HOEM tower on Jarvis Street, called J San. I hope it does well, as it's really good - well priced and tasty.
10% discount for Ryerson students and staff is very nice. Cheap and good sushi, cant complain!

Purple Haze cannabis is open at 75 Mutual - not in Max, but just next to it. The Plug Canna6is application is still pending.

Does anyone know what's up with Nana Coffee & Tea? It doesn't appear to be open, but there are often groups of people inside hanging out, painting, eating etc. It looks like it's being used as someone's living room - there's a pingpong table set up inside!

Purple Haze cannabis is open at 75 Mutual - not in Max, but just next to it. The Plug Canna6is application is still pending.

Does anyone know what's up with Nana Coffee & Tea? It doesn't appear to be open, but there are often groups of people inside hanging out, painting, eating etc. It looks like it's being used as someone's living room - there's a pingpong table set up inside!

My guess is that it's a condo retail unit, and the owners just haven't decided what to do with it with the pandemic. I pass by it a lot, and it just looks weird with maskless people inside studying or hanging out. It certainly doesn't look open for business in the usual sense.

My guess is that it's a condo retail unit, and the owners just haven't decided what to do with it with the pandemic. I pass by it a lot, and it just looks weird with maskless people inside studying or hanging out. It certainly doesn't look open for business in the usual sense.
My theory is that someones rich parents bought the place for their kid to hangout with friends and not be held down by rules and closures in condo amenity areas. I always see the same people in there. They are always maskless doing whatever they want and its clearly not a coffee shop anymore. Probably no intention to open up an actual business until the pandemic is over.

My theory is that someones rich parents bought the place for their kid to hangout with friends and not be held down by rules and closures in condo amenity areas. I always see the same people in there. They are always maskless doing whatever they want and its clearly not a coffee shop anymore. Probably no intention to open up an actual business until the pandemic is over.
That's what my partner and I guessed: rich parents bought the business for their kid, but rather than run it during a pandemic they're using it for a place to hang out with their friends. Those croissants have been sitting on the counter for like, 2 months now.

With a Tim Hortons and a Starbucks on neighbouring corners, Page One over on Mutual (which was a wonderful spot to chill pre-pandemic), Mast on Shuter, and Pop Coffee next door (which now has very limited hours, with part of the seating area given over to a discreet personal care business) I don’t know what the idea for that place was.

Obviously Good Earth wasn’t going to make a second go of things up against Tim Hortons and Starbucks. NANA perhaps could have done okay as a tea shop catering to an East Asian clientele – had the pandemic not persisted.

Looks like TD is moving-in to the south-west corner of Dundas Square Gardens. If the excitement of a major bank, a Starbucks and a Tim's is too much to handle, for now you can get tasty Caribbean food at Chef Kareema's where Smoke's Poutinerie used to be. (The Escovitch Snapper and ackee & saltfish spring rolls are good)

Looks like TD is moving-in to the south-west corner of Dundas Square Gardens. If the excitement of a major bank, a Starbucks and a Tim's is too much to handle, for now you can get tasty Caribbean food at Chef Kareema's where Smoke's Poutinerie used to be. (The Escovitch Snapper and ackee & saltfish spring rolls are good)

J. San sushi bar, in the HOEM tower is very good for its price point. Despite the recent population growth, it's the only really exciting thing to open in the neighbourhood in the last two years.

J. San sushi bar, in the HOEM tower is very good for its price point. Despite the recent population growth, it's the only really exciting thing to open in the neighbourhood in the last two years.
It's a bit outside the intersection/immediate neighbourhood, but the small-batch custard ice-cream from Creamery X at Queen and Jarvis is really, really good. They opened up in the last few months, and I believe moved from the Annex.

Toronto Journey 416 has a then and now comparison of NE corner at Dundas E & Mutual on their IG story:

Screenshot_20211129-214954_Instagram.jpg

Looks like the neighbourhood will be getting a third dental office, this time in one of the retail spaces in Max condos at 81 Mutual. There's already one around the corner in Pace and another in the Merchandise building on Mutual.

Chef Kareema's Caribbean at Dundas and George St closed at the end of last year, but Esra's Market/Cafe/Juicery opened up at 237 Dundas (next to in.DE): they have great juice and coffee and also sell organic produce and groceries.

Pop Coffee Works hasn't been open in some time, and the Good Earth/NANA's coffee space is still vacant (with a kicked-in door).

Last edited:
POP Coffee is now home to The Anarchist. In addition to serving and selling POP coffee (and some others), there is also a selection of anti-capitalist books, art etc. And there's a very nice patio!

It also looks like J-San finally has a competitor in takeaway Japanese: Tenda Sushi is opening up in the little space next to Page One on Mutual.

Finally, the neighbourhood is definitely filled with a very different crowd this weekend due to summer and Pride. Lots of tourists and a very different vibe!

Some more retail shuffling is happening in the neighbourhood:
  • Just in case it wasn't clear that Dundas & Jarvis is on the up-and-up, gourmet butcher 'Butcher Boutique' is moving into 75 Mutual (formerly Purple Haze cannabis). The building has been re-painted black and a new mural has gone up. I'm excited!
  • The Anarchist coffee shop, in the former POP Coffee spot, is closing at the end of the month.
  • Avenue Cafe + Bistro is opening up in the seemingly unlucky corner spot in PACE condos. Their signage has been up for months, but it looks like some new furniture etc. has been delivered recently.
IMG_1828.jpg

Back