News   Jul 15, 2024
 68     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 341     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 536     0 

Islington Subway Station

"Other than Sherway, I don't see much to service on the way to Mississauga City Centre."

If people in MCC would actually use the subway to go long distances into Toronto or even all the way downtown, it doesn't matter what's between MCC and Kipling.

But there's nothing AT Cloverdale. It's not a destination for anyone. It's a local mall. Stopping at Cloverdale would be like stopping at Jane & 7 if you ask me.

Except that entire area has redevelopment potential.

AoD

There's nothing at Kennedy & Eglinton, either, yet 75,000 people a day seem to find it useful. Between a slew of bus connections and the ability to connect later with massive MCC, the route taken west of Kipling is trivial in some respects.

What about going to both Sherway and Cloverdale?

Excuse my ignorance of MT (never been on it) but where do people using the MT buses to connect to Islington board? Do the bulk take buses to MCC then transfer, or do they get on at stops all over west Mississauga, or what? I wish there was a map showing where everyone who uses MT buses to get to Islington lives...since the exact routing of buses can be changed on a whim, the origin of the passengers is ultimately of huge importance when determining where to put the terminal - they might as well run MT bus routes to whichever station is closest, Sherway, Cloverdale, Kipling, or Islington.

In my experience with MCC, I think a station at Cloverdale would be way more benefical than one at Sherway. I'd say the two busiest routes on MT to Islington right now would be the 1/1C/201 (Dundas/Express) and 26/206 (Burnhamthopre/Express). The 1 could just drive up to Cloverdale and the 26 could be re-routed along East Mall which in my experience moves faster than Burnhamthorpe (The same applies for the 3 Bloor). The East Mall rerouting would also make those NIMBYs who every 26 rider will remember blocked the buses back in the 90s because of the "noise". I've never taken any of the MT routes that take teh 427 to get to Islington so I don't know if a Cloverdale station would be an advantage for them, but I'm willing to bet it would be better than a Islington station serves now.

From my experience with living in Southern Sauga, I can say that a Sherway station wouldn't really be all that benefical. It would cut down on time for riders already (I take the 23 to Long Branch and then connect through either the 123 (Kipling) or 110 (Islington) depending on where I'm meeting people which is between 10-20 mins faster than transfering twice in Mississauga) which would be good, but MT only has one route going there which already doesn't see much ridership as the area in Southern Mississauga is pretty much low density with the occasional high/mid density areas (Port Credit/Clarkson) and a large percentage is already pretty well off so nice cars aren't uncommon. From my persepctive, I just can see a Sherway station being justified compared to one at Cloverdale. While it would be nice for me I just don't see it getting the ridership, both from MT and the TTC.

EDIT: Ideally imo, the best routing to SQ1 after Kipling would be to just follow the railway tracks with stations at Dixie GO (5), then Dundas/Cawthra (1), Cooksville GO (19) and than bore up to SQ1 (Terminal). That being said there are the problems of CN (or is it CP) with the ownership of the tracks, crossing the Etobicoke creek, the fact it would essentialy be a "GO Train" and could be replaced by all day cheaper go trains. An intermediate rail or S-Bahn (I believe it's the most compareable) would make more sense for the route I described, but it likely could only end up like the RT and only would end up being a band-aid solution. That being said, I still feel a station at Cloverdale is the most senisble place for a westward extension of the B-D line. It is closer to denser areas, it would likely provide for better conectivity and it's a extension.

If people in MCC would actually use the subway to go long distances into Toronto or even all the way downtown, it doesn't matter what's between MCC and Kipling.

Amen to that! I know I would and judging by the sheer numbers on subway-bound MT and GO every day, I'm sure they would too. Taking the subway to work from MCC would probably cut my commute in half! Nevermind casual weekend use.

where do people using the MT buses to connect to Islington board?

I haven't seen any real data, but it already takes about 25-30 min to get to Islington from MCC by bus, so I imagine that most Islington-bound riders originate in central and eastern Mississauga along Burnhamthorpe, Bloor, and Dundas. Anywhere else it probably makes more sense to drive and/or take the GO.

The benefit of a stop at Sherway is...the mall. It really has less to do with bus connections and more to do with the thousands of people every day who would use that station to go to the mall, probably more than the local bus routes could feed in, even; Yorkdale is the busiest stop on the Spadina line for the same reason. Yet, I don't know if Sherway would welcome the subway with its current set-up...

"Anywhere else it probably makes more sense to drive and/or take the GO."

Just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean people don't/won't do it...look at the ungodly distances/times tens of thousands of people in outer Scarborough commute every day. If people at Winston Churchill could get downtown with only one non-GO fare, lots more would take MT buses to the subway.

Plenty of people take Route 89 (very busy) out of Meadowvale Town Centre straight to Islington Station in the morning, and Route 27 in the PM (not so busy). So yes, people do come from outside of south and central Mississauga.

I don't think the Bloor-Danforth line should be extended to Sherway, but I don't think it should be extended to Square One either.The ridership to Sherway is too low and it is not a good enough reason to divert the path of a subway away from a busy transit corridor with high redevelopment potential (Dundas), which we already know is a bad idea from experience (the Spadina line). Hurontario/Dundas is a good location for the terminus of an extended B-D line; it is relatively urban and high-density and it is part of Mississauga's urban growth centre in the Places to Grow plan. If people need to get to MCC, they need only transfer from there to the future rapid transit line along Hurontario.

A Bloor line that avoids MCC and Sherway would be like a Spadina line that avoids Yorkdale and York U.

Exactly. Bypassing Sherway would be ridiculous. Especially since it is (relatively) on the way.

The Spadina line itself has very low ridership so a connection to Yorkdale obivously didn't make much of a difference and a connection to York University isn't likely to either. A Bloor-Danforth line that is built the same way as the Spadina line will be a failure like the Spadina line, it's as simple as that.

People, get over this obsession a subway to Sherway. It is does not have enough ridership. A lot less people take the bus from the subway to Sherway than to Square One, despite the fact that Square One is much further away and people have to pay two fares to get to it. When a location in Toronto cannot support as good transit service as a location in Mississauga you know something is wrong.

Would the extension to Sherway be the closest station to a Wal-Mart?

Back