From link.

To: Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada
Doug Ford, Premier of Ontario
Omar Alghabra, Minister of Transport, Canada
Caroline Mulroney, Ministry of Transportation of Ontario
Phil Verster, CEO Metrolinx
Cynthia Garneau, CEO VIA Rail

Re: The necessity of a strong train and bus network throughout Canada

I have read with grave concern about Greyhound Bus Lines’ decision to permanently end its operations throughout Canada, following its earlier decision to shut down its routes in western Canada. This, combined with service cutbacks to VIA Rail, have severely reduced public transit options for Canadians living in small towns and rural areas in this country.

In urban centres, it is easy for Canadians to take their mobility for granted. Many of us have cars, or access to good public transit networks to get them where they need to go. But outside of Canada’s big cities, people who cannot drive - either because they can’t afford it or are medically or for other reasons unable to - are effectively locked into their own homes. Services like Greyhound, or the now defunct Saskatchewan Transportation Company, gave people access to medical appointments or jobs they wouldn’t otherwise have had. Bus services like Greyhound have been important links for women fleeing abusive domestic partners.

Public transit is a public service, just like roads and highways. If private enterprise is unable to provide this necessity, it’s up to our governments to step in. A good step to take in the short term would be to contract Greyhound to continue operating its routes, covering its operating deficits. Going forward, a proper national network of connecting bus and train networks should be built so that people can travel across this country without having to rely on cars or planes.

In Canada, in addition to improving VIA service in the Quebec-Windsor corridor, Canada’s national train, the Canadian, should be improved to daily service, and freight railroads strongly encouraged to give this train priority over their tracks. In Ontario, the provincial government could improve service in southwestern Ontario by providing additional funds to VIA Rail for equipment and operations, such as how California provides service through Amtrak. Ontario Northland should receive the funds necessary not only to restore the Northlander, but to take over the Sudbury-White River train and extend it to Thunder Bay or Winnipeg. Bus lines should be set up connecting these train services to smaller towns further afield.

These steps would support Canada’s fight against climate change and support national tourism as that industry recovers from the pandemic. More than that, these steps would ensure that Canadians everywhere have equal access to this country, regardless of their ability to own and drive a car. Mobility rights in this nation have been overlooked for too long, and provincial and federal governments need to step up to address this long-neglected need.

Sincerely,
James Bow, Chief Content Editor, Transit Toronto
Robert Mackenzie, Senior News Correspondent, Transit Toronto

I made the map by mapping out Greyhound’s January 19, 2020 schedules (you can still find them on Greyhound's website if you want to double check). I tried to show significant differences in routing without getting into the weeds with tiny route variations. Sometimes the different routes have different schedules, and sometimes they are on the same schedule. For example, the Ottawa-Monteral Express, Northshore, and Southshore routes are on three different schedule (nos. 780, 781, and 782 respectively), where as the 2 different routes to Kingston are on a single schedule (no. 786).

Out of curiosity, I combined the three Ottawa-Montreal timetables, and here's what the combined westbound service was:

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Agreed.

I can't help but feel a new option will arise as we move out of the pandemic. There's still a demand for these trips.

We definitely need an option. Think of all the locals, students, and the thousands of tourists who use Greyhound to get around. They are now SOL, we have such limited train service in this country.

I always spent the extra few bucks and took Greyhound over the GO bus, because it was faster, the GO bus takes too long, makes too many stops, plus they don't have restrooms. I don't mind GO for shorter routes.

Remember that in Ontario...

Once drivers reach 80 years of age, every two years they must:
  • Take a vision test
  • Undergo a driver record review
  • Participate in a 45-minute Group Education Session (GES)
  • During the GES, complete two, brief, non-computerized in-class screening assignments
  • If necessary, take a road test
If they fail, and they are still mobile over 80, how will they get around? They would be stuck in large parts of Ontario.

Then what about the people under 80 with suspended or revoked licenses? Will they have to beg and be at the mercy for rides from relatives or friends? Without a bus, will they have to pay big time for rides with taxis or ride-hailing?

This makes me so angry. I remember my grandpa couldn't drive after 70 because of his vision loss. Greyhound was the only way to get into the city without a car to see his family. It's not just seniors either, people with disabilities who cannot drive are going to be stranded as well.

Update on the relocation intercity buses to the new Union Station Terminal: https://globalnews.ca/news/7863365/megabus-ottawa-toronto-kingston-greyhound-canada/

Megabus to leave Toronto Coach Terminal in ‘coming months’​

The change announced by Megabus on Friday won’t be the only one for travellers coming to, or going from, Toronto.

Emberson said the carrier is going to be leaving the Toronto Coach Terminal, located near the corner of Bay Street and Dundas Street West, “in the coming months” and will be relocating to the Union Station Bus Terminal. He said a formal announcement will be made in the near future.

Anne Marie Aikins, a spokesperson for Metrolinx — the government agency that oversees the new Union Station terminal at Bay Street and Lake Shore Boulevard West, confirmed Megabus will be moving into the terminal. She said riders can expect to see Megabus vehicles testing at Union Station as well as signage going up.

“It’s always been a part of the vision of it because it’s so big and it’s so centrally located. You’ll be able to take a bus from anywhere to the Union Station Bus Terminal and be able to connect with a GO train, a subway train, a VIA train all right there,” Aikins said.

With Greyhound Canada ending its Ontario routes (although some trips from the United States will still be coming to Toronto) and with Megabus moving to the Union Station Bus Terminal, it has raised questions about the future of the Toronto Coach Terminal with a major reduction in trips. Ontario Northland is still scheduled to operate trips out of the downtown terminal though.

Global News contacted the TTC, the organization that oversees the terminal, as well as the City of Toronto to ask about how the recent moves will impact the operations of the Toronto Coach Terminal. TTC spokesperson Stuart Green said the agency is still in the process of assessing the impacts.

“We are aware of the public comments of these companies and are determining next steps,” he told Global News.

This makes me so angry. I remember my grandpa couldn't drive after 70 because of his vision loss. Greyhound was the only way to get into the city without a car to see his family. It's not just seniors either, people with disabilities who cannot drive are going to be stranded as well.
No way I’d ever be taking Greyhound.

Having a connection to the LRT and bus routes is an upgrade as well. When/if HFR happens, it would be a short move to a hopefully integrated bus terminal at Tremblay.
Hopefully they could put a bus terminal either where one of the parking lots next to the Via station is, or on Terminal Ave to the south (which would also let them finally build a public pedestrian tunnel under the rail corridor).

^Well if they didnt, they wouldnt be planning said expansion now would they?

It's likely they will stagger the rollout to factor in for any additional fleet and labour requirements.

^Well if they didnt, they wouldnt be planning said expansion now would they?
A lot of these bus companies get too confident and then end up not being able to deliver.

It's a lot to be prepared for. Need standby equipment and drivers, equipment cycling and dispatching.

It's not cheap.

Not to mention making deals with ticket agents and setting up a booking system.

^You're definitely right and that's a point I dont dispute at all.

I get the feeling we'll see quite the expansion and patchwork of a few regional players scattered all over Canada, and eventually a lot of them will fold up shop. Coach Canada and Megabus will likely be the larger national players IMO. Whether we see any integration is anyone's guess, because the Feds dont seem like they're in any rush to help out when it comes to that.

Ontario Northland is moving from the Central Bus Terminal to Ottawa Station. This is good news, as Ottawa Station has amenities such as seating, washrooms, basic food service, and security.

It's unfortunate that Megabus decided to use St-Laurent Shopping Centre as its Ottawa terminus, but at least they are only one stop away from each other on the LRT.

Back