News   Apr 23, 2024
 105     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Ignatieff is useless

I don't care whether he resigned yesterday or today. It was a foregone conclusion.

I began to feel truly sorry for Iggy around the midpoint of this campaign. He seemed to be trapped in a situation where anything at all that he did, seemed to be wrong. In hindsight, he was the wrong man for the job, right from the beginning. He isn't a skilled communicator. In fairness, most people are not, at least, not at the level which this job requires. But the job does require no less than an exceptional ability to communicate.

I also think that Iggy did not realize how vulnerable he was to the Cons. attack ads, particularly the "just visiting" (just brilliant) line. If he is such a dedicated and patriotic Canadian, being out of the country for 30 years really does not square with that. The average Joe at the Tim Hortons does not relate to that (seemingly) globe-trotting or jet-setting lifestyle, and would simply consider it as evidence that he exists on another plane and doesn't really connect with average Canadians.

He is well qualified for the academic life. Probably his phone is already ringing, with universities offering to hire him as a professor. Good luck to him; he'll be OK and I won't shed too many tears for him.

I don't care whether he resigned yesterday or today. It was a foregone conclusion.

I began to feel truly sorry for Iggy around the midpoint of this campaign. He seemed to be trapped in a situation where anything at all that he did, seemed to be wrong. In hindsight, he was the wrong man for the job, right from the beginning. He isn't a skilled communicator. In fairness, most people are not, at least, not at the level which this job requires. But the job does require no less than an exceptional ability to communicate.

I also think that Iggy did not realize how vulnerable he was to the Cons. attack ads, particularly the "just visiting" (just brilliant) line. If he is such a dedicated and patriotic Canadian, being out of the country for 30 years really does not square with that. The average Joe at the Tim Hortons does not relate to that (seemingly) globe-trotting or jet-setting lifestyle, and would simply consider it as evidence that he exists on another plane and doesn't really connect with average Canadians.

He is well qualified for the academic life. Probably his phone is already ringing, with universities offering to hire him as a professor. Good luck to him; he'll be OK and I won't shed too many tears for him.

So What. He left the Country. He went exploring. Good for him.

When Ignatieff appeared on TV election night and the next day, he seemed stunned, as if he had undergone some profound psychological trauma. I know it must be really hard to lose like that, but his manner almost made it seem that he was an abuse survivor.

While Ignatieff was obviously never cut out to be a retail politician, he's a thoughtful student of history and politics. I hope he writes a scholarly book on Canadian politics and identiy along the lines of his distinguished ancestor's Lament for a Nation.

When you go exploring for 30 years and then come back just to take the leadership of the opposition party, that comes off as rather opportunistic. Just saying.

I can't help but agree with you, kEiThZ. Honestly, there are some times when I ask myself "what the hell were the Liberals thinking?").

Iggy's attempt at politics (leadership at that) turned out to be a big vanity trip, imho. Not a good thing.

Couldn't the liberals have taken a better candidate than I-man ?

When Ignatieff appeared on TV election night and the next day, he seemed stunned, as if he had undergone some profound psychological trauma. I know it must be really hard to lose like that, but his manner almost made it seem that he was an abuse survivor.

While Ignatieff was obviously never cut out to be a retail politician, he's a thoughtful student of history and politics. I hope he writes a scholarly book on Canadian politics and identiy along the lines of his distinguished ancestor's Lament for a Nation.

I disagree. He's a warmonger who's quite biased and misinformed.

edit: for the second time today I have some posting problem where I double post. Please delete this, mods.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the Bob Rae could probably have saved the Liberal party if they had chosen him instead of Iggy. While Bob has some baggage here in Ontario, he doesn't have any more baggage than Jack Layton and look how he did. In fact I think they are very similar in other ways too including the way they come across in the media - as trustworthy every day guys with just a hint of intellectual vision. I think many Canadians (particularly those outside of Ontario) would have voted for Bob before they voted for Jack, but ended up voting for Jack rather than Iggy.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the Bob Rae could probably have saved the Liberal party if they had chosen him instead of Iggy. While Bob has some baggage here in Ontario, he doesn't have any more baggage than Jack Layton and look how he did. In fact I think they are very similar in other ways too including the way they come across in the media - as trustworthy every day guys with just a hint of intellectual vision. I think many Canadians (particularly those outside of Ontario) would have voted for Bob before they voted for Jack, but ended up voting for Jack rather than Iggy.

And you can trace the demise of the Liberals back to the Montreal convention when both Iggy and Rae were side-swiped by the Kennedy-Dion deal. The Cons were handed the prize on a silver platter, and relentlessly proceeded fed on the stumbling Dion, just as piggishly as they ever did on Iggy's alleged elitism. Lucky for Jack that he won't have to face the same withering attacks now the Cons have their majority.

That's a little rich considering how the NDP/Liberals have portrayed the conservatives these past ten or twenty years... turn about is fair play my friend!

The dynamic is different now, though. All eyes will be on what the majority government proposes, and the critique won't be from the mushy middle.

In the end, Count Iggy was the victim of Tory/NDP Hocus Pocus
m.jpg

I'm going to be the contrarian voice here. I think Iggy campaigned decently. The problem was the Liberal platform and the Liberals inability (or unwillingness) to throwdown with the Conservatives on their attacks.

Back