News   Apr 26, 2024
 65     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 296     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 514     0 

Ignatieff is useless

I'm no fan of Harper. But I find this predilection to bring up comments made by politicians from decades ago disturbing. Where would great leaders like Trudeau have been, if we had judged them according to their comments in their younger, more ideological years? Or god forbid, imagine judging a politician like Churchill. In my opinion, it's this constant desire to judge and never forgive the past that gives us mediocre politicians today who never learn anything because they are too afraid to make a mistake publicly that will be held against them for decades to come.

The fact that Trudeau rode his motorcycle around Montreal wearing a Wehrmacht helmet during WW2, when literally hundreds of thousands of Canadians - including my father - were risking death to defeat the Nazis, should have disqualified him from holding public office. The fact that Canadians didn't care at the time they voted for him shows how pathetic we were. If we now pay more attention to all party leaders' comments from their past lives and truer selves, so much the better for us.

The fact that Trudeau rode his motorcycle around Montreal wearing a Wehrmacht helmet during WW2, when literally hundreds of thousands of Canadians - including my father - were risking death to defeat the Nazis, should have disqualified him from holding public office. The fact that Canadians didn't care at the time they voted for him shows how pathetic we were. If we now pay more attention to all party leaders' comments from their past lives and truer selves, so much the better for us.

do you believe that everyone who drives a VW is a nazi?

also, somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but i think back in the day, it was a trend to take things from the enemy and use, wear or display them. some kind of hip "i got your shit dude" statement or something.

True - my grandfather, old Benjamin Shocker, got a German pickelhaube helmet during the First World War ... though he didn't wear it around London afterwards.

do you believe that everyone who drives a VW is a nazi?

also, somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but i think back in the day, it was a trend to take things from the enemy and use, wear or display them. some kind of hip "i got your shit dude" statement or something.

You are both right and wrong. The trend for young men in Canada from 1939 to 1945 was to volunteer for military service and in many cases to be killed or wounded for their country. It wasn't a "trend" to ride around in Nazi regalia - strangely enough people would have to wait another 30 years for the delights of Easy Rider. Hipster irony wasn't really the fashion during the Second World War. Soldiers did sometimes come back with souvenirs they had taken from the enemy. Trudeau wasn't in that category, never having served. His display was a calculated middle finger directed at all those suckers - in his view - who had.

pman, maybe he was being a poser? i don't know. but do you honestly think it was a deliberate affront against our troops? or that he supported the nazis?

pman, maybe he was being a poser? i don't know. but do you honestly think it was a deliberate affront against our troops? or that he supported the nazis?

I don't think he supported the Nazis, PTS. I do think it was an incredibly offensive gesture from an smart, privileged brat who generally acted in a calculated way in his later public life. So yes, I credit Trudeau with the intelligence to have understood the significance and offensiveness of his actions.

Furthermore, it seems the Tory characterizations of Ignatieff were correct. He parachuted into Etobicoke and now he's jumping ship completely, right out of politics.

Back