News   Jul 15, 2024
 759     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 914     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 637     0 

Hyatt on King West (Holiday Inn remake) COMPLETE

Yeah, perfect place to stroll with old Hanna-Barbera incidental music in your iPod (i.e. the repeated background scenery)

Did anybody notice the black spray paint applied to the West end of the building? Looks cheaptastic! Granted, once signs and all go up, it could look fine.

April 12

Northeast corner of King West and Peter they are spray painting the Holiday Inn black.

2408984014_cbd2a53c7f_b.jpg

2408984018_bf75762bb4_b.jpg

Looks like something you might find on a cruise ship.

2408984024_2f9a2620a6_b.jpg

This paint job has finally exposed once and for all that there is no redeeming this giant artificial wedding cake of a failure.

I never seem to understand how people hate this building so much. I kind of like it. Yes, the cladding needs to be redone, but it's an interesting building that brings something quite unique to King West.

I have to say that the black spray paint job didn't work out so well but replacing the white metallic tiles with something reflective that doesn't stain/rust like those do could make it look quite nice.

They could replace the tiles with white backed glass panes. Could look nice.

EDIT:
I think I had this on the back of my mind when I formulated that idea:

Gehry's NYC IAC HQ
185330417_3d8080dc45.jpg
iac-tama-getty.jpg

It actually looks better in the pics, than it does in person. The spray painting of the panels makes it look quite cheap.

Replacing the tiles with something new and fresh would definitely do the trick... but, that would actually cost real money.

I have to agree with metroman on this one. There is something charming about it. While it could use a good cleaning it has many nice little touches that bring the design together. Those arched windows facing west look like some fun little rooms and the fact they have enclosed all the mechanicals in a top which fits in with the building unlike 95% of new construction where they just seem to throw on a corrugated aluminum shed.

Does anybody know when the Holiday Inn was built?

Really, the only major problem with this building is the old cladding and perhaps some of the street level uses (improving).

This could be quite the gem downtown if Hyatt wants to spend a little money to revamp the skin.

Spray painting the panels is a poor excuse for a real renovation.
It's like painting bathroom tiles to "freshen" it up - the paint will eventually start to peel or scratch off - then it'll look worse than it did in the first place.

So Holiday Inn and Hyatt are "Trading Spaces" - or maybe Museum Station and Hyatt are Trading Spaces?

Actually, it looked very dynamic with all the screens going. I think it can turn out to be a nice corner although it breaks up the look of the building by being so different.

Back