News   Jul 17, 2024
 117     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 751     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 534     0 

How do you obtain your music?

How do you get your music?

• Download via music stores online (iTunes, etc.)

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Download for free (torrents, p2p, etc.)

Votes: 62 80.5%
  • Music retail stores (cd and vinyl, etc.)

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I don't buy music, I just listen to the radio

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
Apple makes A TON of money off of the artists. It's best if possible to buy from the artist directly, which is becoming more common.

Actually, Apple doesn't make a profit off the artist's work. Itunes is a loss leader for Apple. Apple makes its profit from selling Ipods and Iphones.

Recently, the recording industry and Apple have come up with a three-price strategy for music downloads. Along with the original 99 cent price, there is now a $1.29 price for brand-new stuff and 69 cents for really-old music.

The next logical step is getting the record labels out of the loop: An artist creates content and then submits it to a service like iTunes or Amazon. A customer purchases and the aristt gets paid. Done.

where's the option for "bringing home the guy that plays the accordion at the italian restaurant" in this poll? ;)

Man, we're a bunch of pirates, eh? :)

I absolutely LOVE going to record shops and picking up CDs and vinyl. I MUST own original hard copies of anything I even remotely like.

The only thing I really download for free off the Internet are sets and mixes that aren't available retail.

Before mp3's existed, I probably bootlegged just as many songs onto cassette from the radio.

I will never be able to get over the fact that it is in essence the same thing. If I like an artist, if I like a record, I will most likely purchase it.

One of the things that irks me is how the recording industry automatically assumes that if I have downloaded a song, that I would have actually purchased it. Sorry, a lot of the stuff I download goes immediately to the recycle bin, where it belongs. I download it to try it out. I download games to try them out. If I like, I buy.

I will only buy music. I have too much respect for the musicians that I enjoy to steal their product. Not to mention the hardwork that goes in to album art and what not. I love having the physical product, and have never purchased from iTunes because of that. If I hear of a new band that I was previously unaware of I go to their Myspace page and take a listen. If I like it I head down to Soundscapes or Rotate This and grab the album.

Far too many people don't realize that illegal downloading has really ruined music. Illegal downloading has caused some great bands to never get to release their material because they're stuck on a label that can't afford to release their stuff (see Greenwheel, who had to legally change their band name to Go Van Gogh just go get out of their contract with Island, after building a name and image for themselves). People say "ya but bands make all their money off of touring!" which is mostly true, but a lot of touring is based around the release of an album. I can't think of any bands that release one album and then tour it for 5 years without providing their audience with anything new.

Then you have the stores that are struggling because people can get whole albums for free. Independent stores like the ones I mentioned above are really important to local music scenes and if not for Toronto's huge indie scene, they probably wouldn't exist. Those are people's jobs and livelihoods on the line. Also, this has a direct impact on local music scenes as often these stores are promoters and sell tickets to local shows. The residual effects really do go on and on.

Ultimately, I find it insane that people are okay with stealing music. I think it says a lot about the respect we have for other people's work and its value. I watched a guy in class yesterday download 5 Tragically Hip albums from a torrent site. When I told him I don't do that, and that I like to support the bands I like by buying the album, he said "well I bought their first cd." I couldn't help but shake my head.

Bla bla bla bla artists need money, GET WITH THE TIMES. Sorry but Sir Paul Mccarntey or David Bowie who's net worth is over half a billion dollars doesn't need my money. Bowie even charges people to join his lame fan club. No way i'm paying for a CD when artists are charging over $200 for ONE concert ticket i have no sympathy for them at all. I paid $700 for 3 tickets for Leonard Cohen, $450 for two Neil Young tickets. U2 i love no way i'm paying to see them at rogers centre. As for indie bands buy their music at the concerts or off their websites.
Sadly record stores are a thing of the past. I use a ipod instead of cd player at home and in the car. No need for cds anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I blacked out while writing that but did I say I listen to the U2's and Paul McCartney's of the world? (Even then, do you steal from Walmart because they're successful?) Actually, I do have all of the Beatles stuff, but come on, it's the Beatles.

Most of the well known albums I've purchased over the last 5 years are independent releases, and they're made by people that aren't much different from the rest of us... Albums like Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea", Arcade Fire's "Funeral", Feist's "The Reminder" or Broken Social Scene's "You Forgot it in People".

You should get out more. There's so much better stuff out there then whatever generic piece of dribble that U2 is putting out (Have they even been relevant since Achtung Baby?). And you don't need to pay one months rent for tickets! I went to 15-20 concerts last year for maybe... $350-400 total?

Ya, gabe....your musical tastes are killing your wallet.

I go to days long music festivals for between 100 and 200 dollars and see a shitload and a half of VERY enjoyable artists.....usually all day and night.

That's value. Not some hour-long set with a half-assed opener for that price.

Look, paying for music online is a scam anyway....or it's becoming one.

I just picked up The Prodigy's new release for 15 dollars.

11 tracks that on Beatport would cost between 1 and 2 dollars
a DVD with two music videos and two live tracks from music festivals in Europe

11 times 1.99$ (Beatport) equals a touch more than 15 dollars and no DVD to be seen.

And before you ask....yes, every single track on the album is worth having in my collection so, yes, I would have had to purchase all 11 tracks online for more than I paid for the hard copy

and man......you can't download vinyl!

Value Village has a DVD/Tapes/CD's section (they have books and magazines too), I found quite a few gems there, also Craigslist and Kijiji.... ahh I also borrow a lot of music from the Library.

Back