News   Jul 17, 2024
 277     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 996     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 561     0 

How do you obtain your music?

How do you get your music?

• Download via music stores online (iTunes, etc.)

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Download for free (torrents, p2p, etc.)

Votes: 62 80.5%
  • Music retail stores (cd and vinyl, etc.)

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I don't buy music, I just listen to the radio

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
Screw them...

I get it for free and plus music sucks today.

mainly iTunes these days, but am having issues with the new DRM free tracks, they are bigger files, and while my computer downloads them fine, they then hang on 'processing file' mode for anything upto 5 minutes a track, the last album took 3 and 1/2 hours to download ! :mad: If anyone knows why this would be, please let me know, I seriously don't want go back to CD's.

mainly iTunes these days, but am having issues with the new DRM free tracks, they are bigger files, and while my computer downloads them fine, they then hang on 'processing file' mode for anything upto 5 minutes a track, the last album took 3 and 1/2 hours to download ! :mad: If anyone knows why this would be, please let me know, I seriously don't want go back to CD's.

some of their files still contain DRM. i purchased some the other day. some had DRM, some didn't.

Any track labelled PLUS should be DRM free, these are the ones causing issues, as non PLUS tracks are fine, damn you Apple....!!

Any track labelled PLUS should be DRM free, these are the ones causing issues, as non PLUS tracks are fine, damn you Apple....!!

it's the apple of discord! all hail eris!

I'm getting my music mostly from iTunes. When CD's were the main choice, I almost never bought music because I knew that I wouldn't be bothered to find the CD, pop it in the player and listen to the music before the urge to listen to a particular track was gone.

Now, I spend $30 to $50 on music on iTunes per month. I also buy a US$100 iTunes cards for my AppleTV (tv shows and movie rentals) every 2 or 3 months. That beats paying $100 for Rogers cable every month on channels I never watch.

^ You find it a waste of money to pay the artists that created the music you listen to and enjoy? Could you elaborate on your blanket statement?

Also, I prefer paying 99¢ for each selected track that I know I like rather than paying $20 for an album on CD with lots of fluff and only a couple of good songs.

Apple makes A TON of money off of the artists. It's best if possible to buy from the artist directly, which is becoming more common.

Apple makes A TON of money off of the artists. It's best if possible to buy from the artist directly, which is becoming more common.

how much does an artist make off the sale of a 99 cent song?

I gave emusic a try and I am mixed on what I think of it. the indie aspect is cool, and the price is right. But when it comes to imports and singles there is not much of anything, and the quality of the files is certainly fine for an mp3 player, but less so if you want to appreciate the subtleties of the music at home.

Getting music straight from the artist is good too. The only problem I have is that each time you go to a new record label you have to dig through the site at length sometimes too find out about the audio quality. And it is nice because a lot of labels are starting to release long out-of-print albums digitally saving an expensive CD purchase or a lot of searching (which can be fun, but frustrating too).

I mostly buy used cd's, though depending on the genre sometimes I buy new. I do alot of downloading on Limewire, but as others have mentioned this is mostly to sample different things and widen my horizons. I dont do iTunes at all - I'm not part of the iPod generation. Recently started listening to the radio again now that there is some decent top40 out there.

Darkstar - nice office / media room there. Youve got the same computer speakers as me and quite a few more cd's!

^ You find it a waste of money to pay the artists that created the music you listen to and enjoy? Could you elaborate on your blanket statement?

Also, I prefer paying 99¢ for each selected track that I know I like rather than paying $20 for an album on CD with lots of fluff and only a couple of good songs.

Does Paul McCartney and Madonna really need my money? That money ain't going in to the artists pocket ( very little) the greedy record labels get a majority of the sales. Ask any indie artist they encourage you download their music either illegally or off their myspace page or what ever.
Buy concert tickets and go see them in concert and buy their cds and merchandise that's where they money is.

how much does an artist make off the sale of a 99 cent song?
I am trying to find out. I had an article that said how much, but now I can't find it. They even increased it recently.

Here:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...utter_itunes_over_proposed_royalty_hikes.html

The artists get 9.1 cents per song. Apple 29 cents. The record label 70 cents.

Lots more articles here:
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=apple+threatens+itunes+shutdown&btnG=Search&meta=

Last edited:

Back