News   Jul 17, 2024
 259     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 968     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 558     0 

How do you obtain your music?

How do you get your music?

• Download via music stores online (iTunes, etc.)

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Download for free (torrents, p2p, etc.)

Votes: 62 80.5%
  • Music retail stores (cd and vinyl, etc.)

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I don't buy music, I just listen to the radio

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
isn't the major reason why we're allowed to copy music is because libraries have and do allow you to photocopy copyrighted material? wouldn't the government cause all kinds of implications that could backfire on on the government if it made personal copying/sharing illegal?

what's the difference if you record a movie on TV with your PVR because you wanna see it later and downloading a movie on P2P?

Last edited:
Your cable provider gives money to the broadcasters. Your ISP doesn't?

you still are copying copyrighted materials. you can argue that the file you download was broadcast on TV, recorded on a PVR & uploaded to a P2P program and shared over the net.

Last album I bought in stores was the Smashing Pumpkins, Machina The Machines of God way back at the start of the decade at York U.. wow

I use all the above sources. I often download via P2P to check out new groups, or sometimes to get albums that I haven't been able to get in a store or online. I use iTunes for albums I like that I either can't get on CD, or don't want to spend too much money on if they are rare or import albums.

CD's are still my top choice for albums that are really well recorded, or even just a group I really like. Part of the reason has to do with the fact that I will always enjoy going to a record store. The other part is because CD's quality is still better than most digital downloads and after investing in a proper stereo, I want a recording quality that suits the equipment.

Here's my answer...

n511825398_2104716_3099.jpg

Seriously though, I worked in music shops for years so it can be hard for me to feel like I actually own something unless I can put it in my hand. Still, it hasn't stopped me from downloading quite a bit (both legally and illegally), but if I'm really into something, I'll still buy it. CD quality is still superior and I still get a real thrill from searching through bins in a music shop. Downloading is generally used to decide on things I may want to buy later basically.

Last edited:
Last album I bought in stores was the Smashing Pumpkins, Machina The Machines of God way back at the start of the decade at York U.. wow

Speaking of The Smashing Pumpkins, George Stroumboulopoulos (The Hour, on CBC) had a great interview with Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin last night. They have some very pointed views on the music industry in the last 1/3rd of the piece which sort of ties in with the title of this thread.
It can be viewed online at http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/videos.html?id=996704482

I buy my CDs.

Because I listen to Asian rock bands (no offense but I think they're cooler) and you couldn't really download that stuff. :)

A friend of mine told me today that he received a letter from his ISP that a certain studio put in a complaint that he downloaded a movie via bit torrent, so download at your own risk.

A friend of mine told me today that he received a letter from his ISP that a certain studio put in a complaint that he downloaded a movie via bit torrent, so download at your own risk.

Its usually the hollywood films that do that.

Foreign films, you can get it no problem.

What's the studio and what was the movie? Where was it downloaded from? Super curious...

Probably one of the large public trackers like TPB or mininova. Those DMCA notices get forwarded all the time.

It doesn't matter anyway. Your ISP isn't allowed to do anything about it, and the movie company is not allowed to find out who you are. The ISP is not allowed to give that information. It's against privacy rights in Canada. Keep on downloading :)

Because I listen to Asian rock bands (no offense but I think they're cooler) and you couldn't really download that stuff.

I beg to differ, there's almost nothing that can't be found online from asia ;)

Back