News   Jun 26, 2024
 178     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 337     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 430     0 

Homicide down across GTA in 2008, up in Peel

Even some of the large U.S. cities have nearly as many murders per 100,000 inhabitants as Toronto has in total. Detroit, Baltimore and St. Louis all have around 40 murders per 100,000 people. To put that into perspective, Toronto would have to have over 1000 murders a year to match that rate. This is why I hate it when the Sun runs headlines like "Summer of the Gun". They have no idea what constant, unrelenting violence is.

And hopefully we never find out!! I think our media does a good job of reporting violent crimes and a sign that we are still doing "ok" as a city/region (IMO) is that each murder and most violent crimes do get media attention........the fact that we report/react (you might say over report/react) this way keeps the issue in the public eye and I, for one, would rather we felt bad about the situation rather than taking a "well we are still ok cause we don't murder each other at the same rate they do in Detroit" sorta 'tude.

Just another way to look at the same situation.

I think it's interesting that crime is falling in the city, but rising in the 905. The 'safe' suburbs will see a huge spike in crime, I think, due, to lifeless big box plazas, and lack of walkable neighborhoods, factors that leave people feeling small, insignificant and alienated.

I think it's interesting that crime is falling in the city, but rising in the 905. The 'safe' suburbs will see a huge spike in crime, I think, due, to lifeless big box plazas, and lack of walkable neighborhoods, factors that leave people feeling small, insignificant and alienated.
I think you're right. In Cabbagetown, you'll find me and my neighbours on our front porches, me with a glass of red wine or mug of tea. In the 'burbs, no one sits on their front steps or porch (if they've got one) unless they've lost their house keys.

I think you're right. In Cabbagetown, you'll find me and my neighbours on our front porches, me with a glass of red wine or mug of tea. In the 'burbs, no one sits on their front steps or porch (if they've got one) unless they've lost their house keys.

Very true, I've only recently moved out of Scarborough.......back there, you would be hard pressed to even see a neighbor except getting in their car for the morning commute. The really sad thing is that Scarborough isn't all that bad compared to the 'real' suburbs.

Never had house keys till I got to be a big kid, mind you, but I grew up sitting on my parents' front steps and porch. Now, at my own family's, we hang out on our own front steps, and talk to the neighbours all the time.

The really sad thing is that Scarborough isn't all that bad compared to the 'real' suburbs.

Depends where you compare it to, though, huh? My corner of the 905 was far denser, growing up, than where lots of the folks I knew in Scarborough lived. Still is.

The point I'm trying to make is that these 416/905, us-and-them, blanket generalizations that seem to have become increasingly popular post-amalgamation (or maybe I'm just getting crotchety?) are remarkably silly, and have very little to do with Toronto's lived urban form.

Yes, that certainly explains the high crime rates in American suburbs.

Interaction with your neighbours beyond seeing them get into their cars or pop out to get their mail or watching them shovel snow or garden depends almost entirely on how homogenous your neighbourhood is, and, to a lesser extent, on how the front yards/garages/porches/etc. are designed. Cabbagetown is a relatively homogenous place, so people interact more...they're comfortable with each other, speak the same language, etc. It has absolutely nothing to do with how urban or suburban your neighbourhood is. Absolutely nothing at all, unless you live in exurbia on multi-acre lots and literally can't see your neighbours (but that's not "the suburbs," anyway).

I've lived on ultra-suburban culs-de-sac (two car garages, no sidewalks, detached houses with pink brick keystones) where backyards would be unused because everyone spent all their time in the front yards, but we wouldn't just sit there and spy on each other, we'd enter and use each other's homes like Kramer used Seinfeld's apartment. People began moving away, though, and the neighbourhood became increasingly diverse...the more diverse a neighbourhood is, the less likely it is that your house will be within eyesight of multiple potential friends and a real porch culture (not just sitting out there staring as passersby) will not develop.

And let me guess, it's only certain "kinds" of diversity that will be a problem.

If they're the kind of people that attempt to read between the lines and end up finding things that aren't really there, yeah, it'll be a problem (interaction and awareness can turn into vigilance and paranoia). If you define "kinds," I can tell you why you're wrong in more detail.

Well, hang on. First, this story was about homicide, not "crime" generally. Second, homicide fell in the City of Toronto -- but it fell more in York Region and Halton Region. Only in Peel Region did homicide rise. And that's before you cook in population growth rate: the City of Toronto's grew least.

Your assumptions as to where "the city" falls and where "suburbs" fall are wrong, but so is your characterization of the news item into which you're reading those assumptions.

I admit I'm a bit predjudiced against the burbs.......only because I used to live there! and I got my information from a Globe and Mail article.

I admit I'm a bit predjudiced against the burbs.......only because I used to live there! and I got my information from a Globe and Mail article.
Scarborough's not all bad. My uncle lives on Meadowcliffe south of Kingston Rd and it's a great area. He's down the hill near the bluffs, and due to the angle, even has septic.

Crime is up in the burbs because it has been moved out a lot of fringe Toronto areas because of all the police activity.

No doubt in Brampton some of the Jamaican crime gangs have moved in and Peel Police are more concern about saying everything is all right.

Back