News   Jun 25, 2024
 423     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     3 

High Speed Rail: London - Kitchener-Waterloo - Pearson Airport - Toronto

Awesome but unnecessary IMO - convenience and not price (at that of a regular fare) is going to be the deciding factor for using transit to access the Ottawa Station.

Personally I think it would be nice to have some kind of weather-proof connection to Tremblay Station - the current proposal suggests a marginally covered route that is otherwise open to the elements.

AoD

To downtown, it would be about a $10 cab fare, maybe a bit more. For 2 people, OC Transpo cash fare would be $6.50. Most hotels in downtown are either in the Market area (Westin, Les Suites, etc), or along the Queen corridor (+/- a block). With paying either way, it's a bit of a toss-up, but throw in that fare for free, and it may tip the scales.

I should specify that I'm talking specifically to and from Downtown Ottawa, not any other points. This is just to make up for the fact that the Via station isn't downtown, like it is in pretty much every other major Canadian city.

If Via could somehow work something out with OC Transpo that your Via ticket is good for a free ride on the Confederation Line from Bayview to Tremblay, that would be awesome. Not holding my breath though. Ottawa's station is the only one not within the CBD, so it's the only one that would need such an accommodation.

IIRC Confederation line will use fare gates so getting an emailed VIA ticket to interact with faregates would take more than a little effort (see Moscow airport trains for barcode readers in faregates).

If it was POP then VIA could sell a Toronto/Montreal to Tremblay ticket without much fuss just as VIA sells GO tickets today.

Of course, Presto ought to reliably allow payment via Credit/Debit by 2018 too so it won't matter nearly as much.

IIRC Confederation line will use fare gates so getting an emailed VIA ticket to interact with faregates would take more than a little effort (see Moscow airport trains for barcode readers in faregates).

If it was POP then VIA could sell a Toronto/Montreal to Tremblay ticket without much fuss just as VIA sells GO tickets today.

Of course, Presto ought to reliably allow payment via Credit/Debit by 2018 too so it won't matter nearly as much.

That's a good point, I forgot they weren't going with POP. I haven't read any details on it though, but I would suspect that they would have in-person staff at busy stations/stations with high tourist traffic (thinking back to my experience in Boston, where Gov't Center and the Airport stations both had someone standing beside the payment machines).

I would think that something could be arranged where if the rider flashed their Via ticket, the staff member could open a gate for them. That may actually be better than POP, because then you have someone right there who can answer any questions for you.

Come to think of it, that type of system will need to be in place anyways, because people who have RedBlacks tickets get free rides on OC Transpo to and from the games already. And a game ticket obviously wouldn't work with Presto.

So this isn't happening right?

As much as this has the chance to sink into a California-esque mess, there's always something alluring about having a prestige megaproject that we don't see that often these days in Canada.

That's a good point, I forgot they weren't going with POP. I haven't read any details on it though, but I would suspect that they would have in-person staff at busy stations/stations with high tourist traffic (thinking back to my experience in Boston, where Gov't Center and the Airport stations both had someone standing beside the payment machines)

Any mechanism in this regard should support both directions (out of and returning to the Ottawa train station), so you can't really cherry pick a process for high tourist traffic stations.

However, all of the TTC required mechanism (single-trip Presto tickets, automated fare machines, etc.) should be available at most Ottawa stations too. I'm not sure it's worth it for VIA to attempt rolling it as an option.

As much as this has the chance to sink into a California-esque mess, there's always something alluring about having a prestige megaproject that we don't see that often these days in Canada.

Well, *something* is happening, it's just a bit soon to know what it is. ML apparently has the green light to negotiate on the Bypass thing, and VIA is clearly about to put a proposal on the table for east of Toronto.

It will likely arrive in bits and pieces, which may not look like a shiny megaproject - but the pieces may actually line up.

- Paul

There is one giant constraint still in the way but it (CN Rail) also blocks improved GO service to Brampton (and beyond) too.

I would say it's unlikely unless Wynne (and Wynne only, another Liberal leader won't do it) somehow manages to get another majority. I think Metrolinx could solve the CN Rail problem with a second term of well above normal capital funding.

Getting large numbers of trains to Kitchener is the expensive piece and we want to do that anyway (HSR or not). The London component is fairly straight forward after that.

We're still waiting on a report from Collenette this fall; probably 4 days before Christmas to bury bad news.

Last edited:
Pieces of this project will come, yes.

Probably not a 300kph shiny train To London, but an enhanced electrified express GO RER train that takes approximately only one hour to KW. And many years later than their forecast. (2030s, not 2024). With, say, a late-2030s or early-2040s upgrade path to true HSR to London.

The success of achieving a Bypass will be key.

Last edited:
Rules now exist in the states for trains up to 220 mph, would Transport Canada harmonize with them?

https://www.wired.com/2016/11/feds-finally-make-safety-rules-high-speed-rail/

Edit: Proposed rules now exist, lol.
Very interesting article!

Whether Cdn DoT leads or lags on this remains to be seen. Certainly for HFR there's still some details to be clarified, not least the 'crashworthiness' aspects and how that meshes with temporally separated operation. Canada could have trainsets 'off the shelf' in short order if this was the case.
From the article:
[On the crashworthiness front, the draft regs touch on engineering arcana like emergency systems, brakes, and windows (those used on slower trains would create a ton of drag and noise, inside and out).
[...]
Before, faster trains had to go through a lengthy bureaucratic process to get each element of their design approved. It’s easier to plan when everyone knows the rules.

But of course, this is government we’re talking about: There is more bureaucracy before these regulations are finalized. The railroad regulators will go through an open comment period, where industry, consumer advocates and general train nerds will submit comments. By early 2017, it should finalize these rules.

The proposed standards are particularly industry-friendly because they borrow from international standards. It shouldn’t surprise you that experienced rail engineers are mostly overseas, working for folks like Siemens, Nippon Sharyo, and Alstom, in places where they can actually, you know, build railroads. Federal rules say heavy infrastructure must be built stateside, but the whole enterprise gets a jump start by borrowing from foreign smarties.]
[...]

If VIA refuses to pitch in or even coordinate with an electrified London/Toronto HSR project then there is a relatively fast alternative. British Rail has been running a HSR diesel service since the early 80s..........the InterCity125. It has a cruising speed of 201/km per hour {125 miles per hour hence it's name} and a maximum speed of 238km/hr. They have been in service for decades now and have been very popular and saved a small fortune on electrification. A non-stop to London would make the trip in less than a hour. Of course they could also be used on a HSR Mon/Ott/Tor route and seeing the trains are older I am sure they could get newer renditions that go even faster and are more fuel efficient.

If Via could somehow work something out with OC Transpo that your Via ticket is good for a free ride on the Confederation Line from Bayview to Tremblay, that would be awesome. Not holding my breath though. Ottawa's station is the only one not within the CBD, so it's the only one that would need such an accommodation.

Not in the CBD. But the location is very convenient. Never got the complaints. With the transit way was less than 10 mins to downtown. Faster and more comfortable with the LRT.

On the other side, we need to talk about London Shift. Hope there is real integration planned with this service. I don't see evidence of that yet.

Any word on this? I thought we were supposed to see something in the "Fall". We're now past a rather liberal interpretation of autumn on the calendar.

Back