News   Mar 28, 2024
 15     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 202     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

High Speed Rail: London - Kitchener-Waterloo - Pearson Airport - Toronto

Never in my lifetime, that even the mere planning of high speed rail, has finally come this far.
This is unprecedented as well. Although I wish the top speed will be 300km/h as opposed to the current 250km/h. Hopefully Phase 2 will be constricted for speeds up to 300km/h.

Notice of Commencement for the Terms of Reference for the EA:

Ministry of Transportation
Policy and Planning Division

High Speed Rail Branch

900 Bay Street, 1st Floor,
Macdonald Block, Room M1-21
Toronto, Ontario
M7A 2A2

Tel: 416-212-3444
Fax: 416-212-1936

February 27, 2018

Subject: High Speed Rail Environmental Assessment Terms of Reference – Notice of Commencement

The Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) has initiated an environmental assessment (EA) Terms of Reference for High Speed Rail (HSR) between Kitchener-Waterloo and London. The attached Ontario Government Notice announces the commencement of the study.

The planning and design of HSR is being undertaken in accordance with the Ontario Environmental Assessment Act. Prior to preparing an EA study, the Act requires that a proponent prepare a Terms of Reference and submit the document to the Minister of the Environment and Climate Change for approval. Once approved, the Terms of Reference will set out a framework to guide the subsequent planning, design and EA study.

Topics that are addressed within a Terms of Reference include: project study area; purpose and description of the project; alternatives that will be examined; a description of the existing environment and the potential environmental effects of the project; approach to assessment and evaluation of alternatives; mitigation commitments; and a consultation plan.

Consultation is an integral component of the EA process as the input and feedback provided will inform assessment and evaluation, and influence decision-making. The Terms of Reference will be developed through engagement with Indigenous communities and consultation with municipalities, government agencies and members of the public.

Should you require further information regarding this study, please contact Mr. John Slobodzian, MTO Project Coordinator at 905-704-2204 or John.Slobodzian@ontario.ca.

Sincerely,

Original signed by

Jennifer Graham Harkness, P.Eng.
Executive Director

Attachments

c. John Slobodzian, MTO

Attachments

• HSR Notice of Commencement - EA ToR - English.pdf
    451.4 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Never. Too heavy for any high speed plan plus high speed requires 25kV AC electrification.

So you agree with me then that the EA will likely conclude that hydrogen should be an option for bidders. Everything you mentioned is a technical problem; Metrolinx (or MTO in this case) doesn't deal with those.

Last edited:
So you agree with me then that the EA will likely conclude that hydrogen should be an option for bidders. Everything you mentioned is a technical problem; Metrolinx (or MTO in this case) doesn't deal with those).
Nope. Only one option is feasible. Hydrogen fuel cell won't be able to produce enough power in the quantities needed for high speed trains, especially with the terrain.

I guess they are *really* hoping discussions with CN Rail and the Bypass (to free up space between Bramalea and Georgetown for HSR) conclude soon based on the quotes in this article...

Province to fast-track high-speed rail assessment
CTV Kitchener Published
Tuesday, March 6, 2018 8:37AM EST

Part of the proposed high-speed rail line along the Highway 401 corridor will undergo a sped-up environmental assessment process.

Environmental assessments are mandatory for public infrastructure projects in Ontario. They often take years.

When it comes to the province’s high-speed rail line, though, part of the assessment could be done in as little as six months.

Transportation Minister Kathryn McGarry says the high-speed rail line will use existing rail tracks between Toronto and Waterloo Region, allowing for an expedited planning process.

That won’t be the case past Waterloo Region, as at least part of the London portion of the route will require new tracks being laid over what is currently farmland. McGarry says the difference in EA processes won’t stop the line from being ready to run by 2025 with stops at Union Station in Toronto, Pearson International Airport, Guelph Central Station, the new transit hub in Kitchener and in London.

An extension to Chatham-Kent and Windsor is planned to be ready by 2031. The province has estimated travel times of 48 minutes between Kitchener and Union Station, and 32 minutes between Kitchener and Pearson International Airport. The cost of the high-speed rail line has been estimated at $21 billion, with construction starting in 2022.

The province is expected to seek funding help from the federal government and the private sector. It was announced last month that David Collenette, the former federal transport minister who had been advising the province on high-speed rail, had been named the chair of a new planning advisory board for the project.

I guess they are *really* hoping discussions with CN Rail and the Bypass (to free up space between Bramalea and Georgetown for HSR) conclude soon based on the quotes in this article...

As I noted in another thread, I'm confused by what I read as a suggestion that bypassing Rockwood/Acton is not on the table.

That section is a material impediment to high running speed and a bypass fairly do-able.

Guelph is a more complex beast, I can see trying to live w/upgrading what's there in the near-term.

The issue for Acton-Rockwood is not speed so much as level crossings right in the middle of each town. It would clearly be better to bypass these towns, but that won't make landowners happy (even if it makes them richer). Expropriation may ruffle more feathers than the existing route, even if the existing route is not the most prudent option.

Gradient is harsher east of Acton than anywhere west of it. None of the gradients are beyond what a diesel powered train can handle and are child's play if electrification prevails.

Guelph is not a problem if common sense is applied. The slow ordered segment used to be double track and could be again. Investment in proper traffic lights, coordinated to the railway crossing protection, is all that's needed to address sightlines.

Collenette's report hinted that the Grand River bridge is a problem. I'm surprised by that, but I'm no expert.

- Paul

The issue for Acton-Rockwood is not speed so much as level crossings right in the middle of each town. It would clearly be better to bypass these towns, but that won't make landowners happy (even if it makes them richer). Expropriation may ruffle more feathers than the existing route, even if the existing route is not the most prudent option.

Gradient is harsher east of Acton than anywhere west of it. None of the gradients are beyond what a diesel powered train can handle and are child's play if electrification prevails.

Guelph is not a problem if common sense is applied. The slow ordered segment used to be double track and could be again. Investment in proper traffic lights, coordinated to the railway crossing protection, is all that's needed to address sightlines.

Collenette's report hinted that the Grand River bridge is a problem. I'm surprised by that, but I'm no expert.

- Paul
did I miss something....isn't the biggest problem getting high speed rail through brampton? Seems to me a lot of work has to happen there to allow these trains to get through along with the ReR and, presumably, some VIA (and that is assuming that the freight by pass has moved the CN trains away).

^ Guess it depends on how various challenges, or problems, are evaluated and compared. Most of the postings here have focussed on the track issues on the existing corridor through Acton, Rockwood, and Guelph. If a Bypass is built to divert CN Rail trains away from downtown Brampton, isn't the existing track through Brampton actually helpful for HSR because it's straight and at a good grade? So, there are two categories of challenges as I see it:

1) Legal Agreement with CN and building a Bypass on time; and
2) Track issues in three communities: Acton, Rockwood, and Guelph - dealing with these issues may require a HSR bypass, which would be different than a freight bypass for Brampton

^ Guess it depends on how various challenges, or problems, are evaluated and compared. Most of the postings here have focussed on the track issues on the existing corridor through Acton, Rockwood, and Guelph. If a Bypass is built to divert CN Rail trains away from downtown Brampton, isn't the existing track through Brampton actually helpful for HSR because it's straight and at a good grade? So, there are two categories of challenges as I see it:

1) Legal Agreement with CN and building a Bypass on time; and
2) Track issues in three communities: Acton, Rockwood, and Guelph - dealing with these issues may require a HSR bypass, which would be different than a freight bypass for Brampton
Well, last time I spoke to ML they told me to get ReR to Brampton they need CN to move and a 3rd track.....so if you need that for ReR with some Via...what do you need for ReR, some Via and HSR?

The tracks going thru DT Brampton are nice and straight...yes...but there is only 2 of them.

^ Yes, I'm aware of the need for the third track for the small stretch in downtown Brampton that only has two.

In case others haven't seen these documents or are new to UT, I've attached (don't have time at the moment to create unique file names for PDFs 1-4) the several instances from Metrolinx Board presentations/reports where a references are made to adding more track on the Halton Sub through Brampton or a "third track" . Mostly in 2015/2016.

I've also attached a map ("Page 204-205.pdf") from a the October 27, 2014 "Metrolinx Electrification Project Conceptual Design Report Part 3 - Kitchener Corridor Version 03" where the text proceeding the map spoke about adding the third track on the south side through downtown Brampton. Given the timing I'm not exactly sure how the Bypass and HSR factored into this.

In March 2016 Metrolinx posted the BCA for GO RER and an appendix had track plans showing the third track being added (see "ExtractPage5.pdf") - Steve Munro post on the BCA here.

Between just west of OBRY and the Peel Junction there are already three. It's a good question about RER, VIA and HSR all sharing three tracks between Georgetown and Bramalea. I really don't have the answer but look forward, as we all do, to reading the reports that explain how they would make it work and provide a sense of any trade offs.

Attachments

• Page 204-205.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 218
  • ExtractPage5.pdf
    455.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 4.pdf
    32.3 KB · Views: 245
  • 3.pdf
    66.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 2.pdf
    66.5 KB · Views: 295
  • 1.pdf
    36.9 KB · Views: 248
^ Sorry I think there's another two track section between Heritage Road, over the Credit River bridge, and just before Georgetown where it then reverts back to three. The bridge has capacity for the third track.

Last edited:

Back