News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 701     0 

Heintzman Place (formerly Village By High Park, Junction, Options, 23s, Burka)

I recently purchased a unit in this building, but I've heard that there could be some delays in starting construction (scheduled for Jan 08). Anybody heard anything?

They haven't even started to demolish the Canadian Tire building, so I would think that demolition would begin then, unless they begin with the back parking lot.

The completed building will have some interesting views. The view east should be great with the actual rail diamond junction and the skyline, but the west view will see the Junction's commercial heart and the two copper spires on Annette.

Oh yeah, I guess that's what I meant by construction to begin in January. They've said that demo of Canadian Tire begins in January. I'm just wondering how on track that claim is. I've heard that there have been some legal issues with NRI Industries not being happy with revised building plans.

Drove by today and they've got some demolition company's sign on the fence surrounding the site, so that looks promising. The website still says 75% sold, but based on the pin board that you get to stick your pin into when you buy a unit, it's closer to 95%...

I have heard that they were planning to request approval for 26 floors though instead of 23, so that would free up a few more units. I don't know if this was approved or not though. It was in their November application to the city.

A flyer for this Options for Homes project was dropped at my door. A 23 storey tower. Looks OK, sort of Flatiron-ish, but, perhaps due to the affordable nature of thier projects, their track record isn't very good.

VillageatHighPark2.jpg

They have received approval from the city to change the design of the building, by the way...although I kind of liked this older rendering. The building will actually look like this:

19-1-544.jpg

Off topic, but speaking of High Park, how's that new building that sort of terraces down the hill from Bloor Street? I haven't seen anything about it in a while. I think it was a Context project.

They have received approval from the city to change the design of the building, by the way...although I kind of liked this older rendering. The building will actually look like this:

19-1-544.jpg

That old design is a more generic and looks like it could be built anywhere. Ideally it would be set back further from Keele to minimize disruptions to the scale of the streetscape. What issues could NRI Industries have with the design? The two are separated by a railway, and even then the only thing they have is a storage yard beside the railway.

The old one is more generic? Only if you believe that the PoMo commie-block slab is more distinctly Toronto, which is what this new render looks like to me. Yuck. The former had a little style at least; the latter is just more punishment for a city that is willing to accept it.

The old one is more generic? Only if you believe that the PoMo commie-block slab is more distinctly Toronto, which is what this new render looks like to me. Yuck. The former had a little style at least; the latter is just more punishment for a city that is willing to accept it.

I don't believe that, sorry I thought the black and white drawing of the flat iron-like building was the newer design (that was never used) for some reason.

That old design is a more generic and looks like it could be built anywhere. Ideally it would be set back further from Keele to minimize disruptions to the scale of the streetscape. What issues could NRI Industries have with the design? The two are separated by a railway, and even then the only thing they have is a storage yard beside the railway.

Options had an agreement with NRI that they would consult with NRI before making any changes to the design of the building. The building has been designed with strict air and window regulations because of NRI's proximity (namely no balconies on the North or East side, and pressurized air filtration system). Options submitted the redesigned building to the city, and it was approved, but they neglected to inform NRI of this before hand. NRI was upset and has threatened legal action. Options president, Michael Labbe says that they should have this resolved soon, but it's tough to predict.

In other news, apparently the architect for the building is Burka Varacalli Architects Inc., the same people who won the Pug Award last year for Toronto's ugliest residential building, the BeBloor at Bloor and Lansdowne. Beautiful.

On the upside, they also designed the Absolute World (the Marilyn Monroe building) going up in Mississauga, and the new tower at 1 Bloor East...anybody know if the penthouse suites in the Junction are going for upwards of $25 million?

I just hope this building doesn't look much like the BeBloor...

pugawards2007_bebloor.jpg

Yeah, I researched who was doing architecture on this, I went to their website and the firm doesn't seem to have any discernable style.

Some of the stuff is ultra modern and other projects look like tacky faux historical buildings - everything from business parks to hi-rise condos, and cheapy to high end (It's a kind of a rag bag)

It's always difficult to know what the finished product will look like based on renderings, a lot depends on the quality of materials used. I am taking Options at thier word when they say we will be getting 'Tridel Quality'.

I have to say, Phase one in particular could end up a bit 'BeBloorish' if they aren't careful. I knew from jump that it wasn't going to be an architectural jewel, I'm fine with that - as long as it doesn't look cheap or hideously awful.

I walked past Be Bloor this summer and was saying to myself I hope my building doesn't look quite so bland - this was Before I even knew they were using the same architects, and befor I heard about the Pug award.

Most of the other Options buildings look Ok to my eyes, so I don't expect the quality on the new buildings to be any lower.

Back