Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The A-Line spur was only from King through waterfront, which was not a very effective spur. To really make A-Line worth it, Mohawk College at the least needs to be connected. And if you're getting up there anyway to Mohawk, you might as well go a couple stops down and reach Limeridge Mall. It is probably not worth building A-Line until you have at least two or three major mountain stops (minimum)

Incidentally, the distance between B-Line LRT station and the Hunter GO station is only ~320 meters -- the length of a GO train -- not too dissimilar from the walk between Union TTC and a Union GO platform.

img_2802-jpg.107006

This is being pedestrianized. In addition, also included in the LRT funding, is 28 kilometers of Braille sidewalks (the grey edges) for the whole LRT corridor.

Ultimately, I consider it "connected". A bit of a stretch but adequate considering the circumstances set forth.

Tories say commitment to Hamilton LRT funding remains

The Ministry of Transportation restated its funding support for a Hamilton LRT or infrastructure project by email.

"As for Hamilton, our position has not changed," said spokesperson Justine Lewkowicz, pointing to an October statement that the Tories "will be there with funding for transit or infrastructure, whether it is for the $1-billion LRT project or other projects that Hamilton council wants."

By contrast, on the Hurontario line, she said the government must "eliminate the inefficiencies of the previous Liberal government and make sure we invest in efficient and effective transit projects that achieve the best value for our customer — the Ontario taxpayer. Our decisions will be based on what is best for the people of the GTHA, including Peel Region."

Good news for Hamilton but I expected Hamilton LRT to get the axe first given how highly controversial the project has been over there. There was no real backlash over the LRT in Mississauga, though that may be due to the abysmally low level of civic engagement over there

Good news for Hamilton but I expected Hamilton LRT to get the axe first given how highly controversial the project has been over there. There was no real backlash over the LRT in Mississauga, though that may be due to the abysmally low level of civic engagement over there
Except LRT was the key issue in the 2018 Hamilton Election where residents clearly voted in favour of pro-LRT candidates. If the project "got the axe" after this election it would be a real slap in the face to Hamilton.

Except LRT was the key issue in the 2018 Hamilton Election where residents clearly voted in favour of pro-LRT candidates. If the project "got the axe" after this election it would be a real slap in the face to Hamilton.
Yup.

Ironically, Hamilton voted more for the LRT than our expressway.

7544C90E-CD1D-4AF1-80FB-DEC71A86011D.jpeg

Credit: twitter.com/civicplan

Last edited:
Yup.

Ironically, Hamilton voted more for the LRT than our expressway.

Credit: twitter.com/civicplan

Hamilton municipal elections were not just about the LRT. And back in the day the similar can be said about the Red Hill. FALSE NEWS

Many people looked at multiple issues including job creation, safety, environmental contamination, LRT, etc. And chose the one that was best suited.

Hamilton municipal elections were not just about the LRT. And back in the day the similar can be said about the Red Hill. FALSE NEWS

Many people looked at multiple issues including job creation, safety, environmental contamination, LRT, etc. And chose the one that was best suited.
I already replied to this. Link. I'm re-quoting here.

Our single-issue mayoral opponent spent six figures on advertising NOLRT. This had a clear and unmistakable effect of turning the Hamilton election into a defacto LRT referendum, full stop.

----requotation below----

The sad thing about Hamilton's municipal election is, that the past 3 elections (including this one) have been about LRT vs. no-LRT. I dont know whether that speaks to Eisenberger's leadership or lack thereof regarding the matter.

Well, Fred did not want to make it about LRT.

Unfortunately, his opponent made it the issue:

upload_2018-10-23_15-26-19-png.161433

So Fred....

....was essentially forced to run on a pro-LRT platform.

Our election thusly was railroaded into becoming a defacto LRT referendum -- against our incumbent's wishes.

Yes, yes, my mueller.... Clearly, many people voted on other issues, but this issue was quite dominant. Our newspapers, online, media, debates, and everything was forcedly-LRT dominated. Vito had a spetacularly successful fundraiser, and my anecdotes indicate Vito maxed his campaign donation legal limit -- which was six figures this year for a Hamilton mayoral candidate. So, the FACT -- is, Vito spent it all on a single issue, and still managed to get 38% without much talk about anything other than LRT. By all measures, if one actually lived locally, and was subject to the geographically-targetted massive social media onslaught of banner ads from both NOLRT and #yesLRT (almost no mayoral ads about any other issues), it was -- essentially a defacto LRT referendum

It may be impossible measure how many % a voter voted 100% purely on other attributes than LRT, but the topic so dominated local media (online, offline) that the media declared it the LRT election. Even this single-issue ended up being a MUCH clearer line/boundary than the left/right arbitrariness -- like there can be a lefty with right-bias elements, or a righty with left-bias (-- say, like a "red Tory") -- and our situation of LRT/NOLRT appeared more polarizing than Red/Blue during our last fed election. That's how dominating the topic was during our election. So yes, I say, we voted LRT!

If I may make an observation, Hamilton's endorsed LRT a lot more than the municipalities of Hurontario+Main did -- and I would not be surprised in the surprise scenario where Hamilton LRT survived while Hurontario LRT gets postponed. I'd rather Ontario gets both. We shall see...

Last edited:

Back