Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The table is solidly proLRT now.

Ryan McGreal on raisethehammer has indicated that council is more than 2/3rds proLRT at least in qualified support.

Full Support:
  • Mayor - Fred Eisenberger
  • Ward 1 - Maureen Wilson
  • Ward 2 - Jason Farr
  • Ward 3 - Nrinder Nann
  • Ward 4 - Sam Merulla
  • Ward 8 - John-Paul Danko
Qualified Support:
  • Ward 5 - Chad Collins
  • Ward 6 - Tom Jackson
  • Ward 7 - Esther Pauls
  • Ward 12 - Lloyd Ferguson
  • Ward 13 - Arlene VanderBeek
Flip-Floppers (could go either way):
  • Ward 9 - Brad Clark
  • Ward 14 - Terry Whitehead
Anti-LRT:
  • Ward 10 - Maria Pearson
  • Ward 11 - Brenda Johnson
  • Ward 15 - Judi Partridge
Source: Comments section of https://www.raisethehammer.org/arti...elected_decisively_in_lrt_referendum_election

The sad thing about Hamilton's municipal election is, that the past 3 elections (including this one) have been about LRT vs. no-LRT. I dont know whether that speaks to Eisenberger's leadership or lack thereof regarding the matter.

The sad thing about Hamilton's municipal election is, that the past 3 elections (including this one) have been about LRT vs. no-LRT. I dont know whether that speaks to Eisenberger's leadership or lack thereof regarding the matter.
Well, Fred did not want to make it about LRT.

Unfortunately, his opponent made it the issue:

upload_2018-10-23_15-26-19-png.161433

So Fred....

....was essentially forced to run on a pro-LRT platform.

Fred isn't perfect.
Sure, many wants a fresh mayor.
At least Fred did at least lead Hamilton to a financial surplus, with one of the lowest jobless rates in Ontario, and attracting over $1B/year of new development. Sure, we wish we could have done more and better, like affordable housing and other hugely important issues.

Vito did not even squeal about much other than LRT. Just look at the junk populist politics that Vito Sgro did. I was all #VetoVito and I am now glad #VitoVetoed happened. Now we can focus on LRT.

Vito used a very misleading catchphrase because it is NOT a billion dollar "train", it's already an infrastructure package that happens include a train. The $1B includes replacement of Longwood road bridge that also includes widening for bike infrastructure too, also pays for 28 kilometers of Braille sidewalks on full LRT corridor (yes, the textured gray edge too), new sewers (new flood protection), new watermain, easy-pull conduit for installation of fiber optics and similar infrastructure (Gigabit Internet FTTH; Bell at Jackson Square confirmed to me Gigabit will be coming to Hamilton), burial of residential electricity (including removal of crooked wooden telephone poles beyond their life) -- the whole B-Line corridor is getting the deluxe infrastructure upgrade including those fancy sidewalks for the full length. So, again, Mister Vito Sgro, it is not just a "billllion duhllar train", but an infrastructure PACKAGE.

Anyway, that's now moot.

Good riddance to Vito, who forced our election to be a defacto LRT referendum.

We have more important issues than LRT, having long voted #yesLRT years ago. Have we not voted #yesLRT often enough? DUH!

My friend Karl created a registered Independent Candidate campaign at www.yeslrt.ca. Being Executive Director of Hamilton LRT Advocacy, I lent him the LRT Advocacy social media accounts (twitter.com/yesLRT and facebook.com/hamiltonLRT) to help him and his team to operate their campaign (while I focussed on my spouse Alain Bureau's campaign).

Vito fundraised almost six figures. And many thousands of dollars were donated by hundreds of residents (myself included) to support Karl's Independent Candidate #yesLRT campaign. Many city councillor candidate of Hamilton also donated too (legally).

Taxpayer waste of $1B? NO! It's amortized over 30 years at ~$30M/year with big return on investment in terms of economic & social benefits, densification and development. Look at what is happening to Kitchener-Waterloo development tsunami. Living here I am seeing many early canaries. Four years ago, no cafes within walking distance, but now there's over 5. And now places like Sherman+King is now zoned 6 stories with mandatory mainfloor retail. And there's lots less property acquisition needed (only 90 buildings) than when LINC+RHVP freeways got built, yet fewer people complained back then. Yes, some bad things like landlords kicking tenants out before Metrolinx could properly reimburse renters and I have been upset at them about it, but this isn't an excuse to stop building LRT. We can do better and work harder. Even West Harbour GO ghost station will be a popular station with the Niagara GO expansion in the 2020s, and is peanuts compared to the empty ghost 400 series freeway long built many years ago to the still-yet-unbuilt US border bridge. And those UPX haters and Metrolinx-shutdown-squealers, I point out the newfound UPX popularity & Ford uploading TTC subways into Metrolinx. And must I remind them, that the well-loved SoBi Hamilton Bike Share was bought to us by Metrolinx? Sure, I'm not always happy about everything Metrolinx has done (and I write here about the Metrolinx double-edge sword), but the LRT is a boon to Hamilton, full stop -- nothing changes that, period.

Even many progressive conservative friends also rolled eyes at Vito Sgro's populism that resembled Trump style tactics of a single-issue.

We'll worry about voting a new mayor in a future election.
We're ready to build LRT!!! (While also focussing on other important city issues)

Last edited:
Although many say I am a dreamer...I wrote a piece at RaiseTheHammer at https://www.raisethehammer.org/comment/124017

[Begin of my RaiseTheHammer Post]

I am #yesLRT long term.

My old hometown Ottawa's LRT was resurrected 4 years after cancellation. Ottawa cancelled and resurrected their LRT.
  • On success, I intend to advocate for expansion to A-line (2022)
  • On fail, I intend to work to resurrect LRT (2022)
Call me a dreamer if you wish but I am Ottawa-born. 2018 is not the final chapter for LRT.

rurMXvzm.png

Once B-Line LRT safely begins construction, Hamilton LRT Advocacy sill will advocate for bus expansions AND turning A-Line LRT into a 2-phase LRT expansion.
  • A-Line Phase 1 to Limeridge mall as a single-seat ride
  • A-Line Phase 2 to Airport.
1f23NC5.png
(Single-seat ride waterfront to Limeridge, the blue and red line would be ONE route initially)

A-Line LRT can be won in 2022 election for a 2025 construction begin of Phase 1 just like Ottawa Phase 2 LRT (approved unamiously by city council) begins construction next year www.stage2lrt.ca.

A-Line LRT Phase 1 to Limeridge The business case for A-Line to Limeridge will be justified by 2030 benefits (Waterfront revitalization + 2 GO stations + StJoe Hospital + Mohawk College + Limeridge Mall + Infill Developments) so we can justify 2025 construction begin for A-Line LRT Phase 1 for construction completion by approximately 2030. Transit ridership (by 2030) and density on A-Line Phase 1 is much greater than certain sections of Ottawa's LRT and KW LRT. This is how we can justify A-Line LRT quicker and sooner, by doing a minor optimization to the BLAST network. The rest of the network can be BRT/express buses while we are continuing to build LRT.

A-Line LRT Phase 2 to Airport Once A-Line LRT Phase 1 is built, we can focus on an LRT all the way to the airport, especially with infill developments along the way, and increase in airport-area popularity.

We already have upcoming money for a bus expansion. This is federal funding too, separate of existing LRT money. So we are getting bus expansion in addition to LRT if we stay the course on LRT.

And in Ottawa, even suburban & rural bus stops had bus signs as big as road signs with clear route numbers. WHY should bus stop SIGNS be more second-class than road signs? Ottawa does it properly for accessibility. Ottawa made them ALL guaranteed minimum size since the 80s. All stop signs. Citywide. Even suburb/rural. Hamilton deserves this. I plan to strongly lobby for this for HSR once B-Line LRT begins construction.

aA91E5a.png

I'm not anti-bus. I can be a BUS SNOB too, even though I am #yesLRT.

I was born in Ottawa, lived and breathed Transitway BRT, and it was a real, true BRT. Ottawa has first class BRT treatment. Ottawa has had the world's first BRT (1973) and then world's largest BRT (1983) for many years. The fancy modern fire-engine-red transitway stations with computerized next-bus arrival terminals in 1983. Public transit was treated like a first class citizen by Ottawa, with loving attention to route numbers.

...The latest tech. In 1983 at all the Transitway BRT stations you had CRT computer terminals showing next bus arrval! That's 35 years ago. Electronic next-bus arrival screens. Thirty Five (35) Years Ago. Transitway buses actually ran really tight to the clock almost Japanese-style timetable precision on Transitway. (Many of us were studiously picky, I always complained loudly as a kid if it rarely deviated more than a few mins. Transitway made it easy for bus drivers to adhere to a timestable without stressing bus drivers too much)

...That subway frequent service. If you were on the transitway, buses were guaranteed to be frequent and fast. At peak period, buses whooshed by every 2-3 minutes and you could just step onto any bus heading in the downtown direction without caring about the route number -- they would be going in the correct direction until at least downtown (or the Hurdman transfer station -- BRT fork/crossroads)

...That fast bus trip felt like a freeway for buses. Often, the buses whooshed 70kph down the straightaways between Transitway bus stops. I often got frequently whisked between downtown and St. Laurent Mall in roughly only 15 minutes, on time to watch the movie showtimes, whether it was Gremlins or Short Circuit or such. The small section of bus-congested downtown bus lane was a bone of contention at peak (surface crossings much like the downtown section of Calgary C-Train) but never really truly became truly intolerable until recent decades.

...That easy signage. Even back in 1983, route number signage was extremely easy to read, -- you could read route numbers from almost one bus stop down the street (making it much easier to decide which direction to walk if you walk to a street and find yourself between two suburban bus stops).

...Easy visual accessibility. I can't as easily identify bus routes on Toronto bus stops (nor Hamilton) from across the street, while it was always easy from a distance in Ottawa! ... Even that unsheltered rural bus stop pole had Canada's biggest bus stop signage.

gAz7wBh.png

...Sterling five-star route number signage department. Say and complain about OC Transpo, but big kudos credit where due to the hawkish bus stop signage department at OC Transpo that has, ceaselessly nitpicked the entire OC Transpo network to minimum route-number accuracy, readability, and clarity standards far beyond almost any North American city, par excellencé, bar none, full stop. Rural bus stop to suburb bus stop to trantitway bus stops, the bus stop signage was always consistent and clear on a guaranteed minimum quarter-square-meter-size sheet metal (guaranteed minimum surface area) that never got lost in background clutter of telephone poles, road signs, etc.

...Very clear bus shelter posters When bus shelters existed, they always had pretty delightful detail (most of the time). Sometimes even computer printouts (dot matrix back then) in the 1980s of timetables on small slightly-below-eye-level affixments to unsheltered bus stop poles! Now they're fancy like this:

...Never felt lost in the pre-cellphone days I never felt lost in Ottawa as a transit rider - I could confidenty at 10 years old (as a deafie unable to make phone calls until I was age 15) - take a bus anywhere in Ottawa, knowing I'd easily get home with the first-class treatment of route signage everywhere including bus network posters in nearly all bus shelters -- even far away from the BRT. Maps were attached to rural bus poles, for chrissakes!!!

...Hamilton deserves first-class treatment of buses too That's why when B-Line LRT begins construction in Hamilton, I intend to strongly advocate for "details" like these for Hamilton so that Hamilton's bus system is not second-class (details like wimpy tiny signs that are hard to see). A great spine system (BLAST system that includes both LRT and BRT) will help enhance the rest of the bus system. So we must stay the course, #yesLRT to get a greater bus system here.

...BRT-only is not the right choice for BLAST. We need both LRT and buses in BLAST. The problem is Ottawa built their BRT through mostly undeveloped corridors and infrastructure. Hamilton has to unfortunately ram our high-order transit through already-developed infrastructure, with equally bad temporary construction disruption. We have to survive short-term pain for long-term gain. But it is less disruptive than ramming RHVP/LINC through the city -- and less expropriation -- yet fewer complained about RHVP/LINC than with LRT? This is a strange way of looking at things.

Cities have suffered a phenomenon called "BRT creep" where buses are watered down.

UXNZgUM.png

Chain of watering down of transit LRT -> BRT -> Express buses -> Bus Lanes -> Ordinary Buses

IODl4KP.png

• London decided to do BRT instead of LRT because of anti-LRT people.
  • London is now suffering anti-BRT.
  • London is now suffering #BRTcreep
  • DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO HAMILTON IF YOU LOVE YOUR BUSES.

VOTE #yesLRT!

And this will result in better buses. I promise you, I will work goddamndest hard. You see, I am a bus snob, and I am #yesLRT because I also want a better bus system too.

rurMXvzm.png

• I intend to work hard to resurrect LRT by 2022 if B-Line is cancelled.
  • I intend to work hard to expand LRT A-Line if B-Line begins construction 2019.
Ottawa's LRT got cancelled and then resurrected.
I am Ottawa born, I lived and breathed buses and BRT. So, I hope you voted #yesLRT today on October 22, 2018. This is fact and reality, because I am Ottawa born, the best bus transit of Canada!

[end of RaiseTheHammer post written before vote]

Also...
...We still need to improve buses while waiting for A-Line LRT. I think it's probably a really good idea to have:
  • 20L express buses Waterfront-to-Limeridge
  • 20A express buses Waterfront-to-Airport
Each running 15-minutes at peak, resulting in 7.5min interleaved for the core MohawkCollege-to-Waterfront segment;
  • Phase 1 of A-Line LRT can replace the 20L express bus
  • Phase 2 of A-Line LRT can replace the 20A express bus
The rest of BLAST network should be taken care of sooner by buses and/or BRT too,

Last edited:
Well, Fred did not want to make it about LRT.
[snip], also pays for 28 kilometers of Braille sidewalks on full LRT corridor (yes, the textured gray edge too), [snip]
On that note behold gifts from KW (It's a streetview image so it's a little rough looking)
Annotation (12).png

Tactile crosswalks using a faux thermoplastic brick pattern. Tactile metal inserts to indicate beginning of crossings. AND stamped & tinted concrete edges for the sidewalks beyond crosswalk areas.

Attachments

• Annotation (12).png
    Annotation (12).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,082
Although many say I am a dreamer...I wrote a piece at RaiseTheHammer at https://www.raisethehammer.org/comment/124017

[Begin of my RaiseTheHammer Post]

I am #yesLRT long term.

My old hometown Ottawa's LRT was resurrected 4 years after cancellation. Ottawa cancelled and resurrected their LRT.
  • On success, I intend to advocate for expansion to A-line (2022)
  • On fail, I intend to work to resurrect LRT (2022)
Call me a dreamer if you wish but I am Ottawa-born. 2018 is not the final chapter for LRT.

rurMXvzm.png

Once B-Line LRT safely begins construction, Hamilton LRT Advocacy sill will advocate for bus expansions AND turning A-Line LRT into a 2-phase LRT expansion.
  • A-Line Phase 1 to Limeridge mall as a single-seat ride
  • A-Line Phase 2 to Airport.
1f23NC5.png
Torontonian here.

Can anyone tell me why - if this thing is going to run to the Eastgate Mall why on earth it does not connect to the new Confederation GO Station? Is there not one person in the entire bazillion dollar transit planning industry and bureaucracy that can see that building disconnected pieces is nuts?

On that note behold gifts from KW (It's a streetview image so it's a little rough looking)
View attachment 161936
Tactile crosswalks using a faux thermoplastic brick pattern. Tactile metal inserts to indicate beginning of crossings. AND stamped & tinted concrete edges for the sidewalks beyond crosswalk areas.

Nice. They also need to add curb extensions to slow down turning drivers. Makes a big difference in safety perception (and actual safety) plus confidence for pedestrians. The city installed curb extensions in my area recently and cars no longer fly around that corner. Feels much safer and lower speeds (about 20kph) ensure that collisions are much less damaging to pedestrians. I wish they would also improve the lighting.

Torontonian here.

Can anyone tell me why - if this thing is going to run to the Eastgate Mall why on earth it does not connect to the new Confederation GO Station? Is there not one person in the entire bazillion dollar transit planning industry and bureaucracy that can see that building disconnected pieces is nuts?
It's because diverting the B-Line from it's main alignment to connect to Confederation GO would be extremely inefficient for the B-Line

Confederation GO, at least initially, will also only service a few riders on a few trains in the peak direction of rush hour. Not a strong ridership driver.

What's the eventual eastward expansion for the LRT expected to be? I'd guess it is simply further east in Stoney Creek, which is probably why it won't (despite the cost too) of turning north to meet with Confederation GO.

What's the eventual eastward expansion for the LRT expected to be? I'd guess it is simply further east in Stoney Creek, which is probably why it won't (despite the cost too) of turning north to meet with Confederation GO.
Not necessarily.

The BLAST network was envisioned slightly before the concept of the Confederation GO station. The S-Line can be simply extended northwards to reach the GO station, either as part of the S-Line or a spur of the B-Line (much like my proposed A-Line spur to Limeridge earlier) Some newer BLAST maps extends to Confederation GO station, though the most common BLAST map shared doesn't have this (currently)

B-Line could could in theory be extended to the Confederation GO station *and* eastwards; the BLAST map doesn't have to be monolithic exact route-for-route, as the LRT can theoretically hop between the routes if the densification/economic benefits justifies such tweaks, with BRT/express buses serving the remainder of the peripheries of the BLAST.

BLAST.jpg

Most will be express buses and BRT for now, but:
In my opinion, the most realistic LRT extensions will be A-Line Phase 1 and A-Line Phase 2:

1f23NC5.png

My suggested idea -- the A and T would be one route, as a single-seat ride to Limeridge Mall.

Remember, that's Hamilton's flagship mall -- the one with the Apple Store. We actually was going to have Skytrain to Limeridge in the 1980s before we said No -- and the Skytrain was given to Vancouver instead. So A-Line Phase 1 is essentially the 1980s plan reborn.

32791-112383.jpg

(Figure 1: The possible beginning of the A-Line LRT)

Waterfront Shores -- the waterfront development - is the one chosen and book-ends the beginning of the A-Line, and we've got a disconnected college, two semi-disconnected GO stations, and two disconnected hospital campuses. So, magically, the stars align for A-Line becomes the most worthy priority candidate.

I choose this route because it's the densest possible LRT extension after the B-Line completion. This A-Line Phase 1 connects Limeridge mall, the big Mohawk College, both StJoe hospital campuses, both GO stations (West Harbour and Hunter Downtown), the downtown core and Jackson Square, and the upcoming new waterfront mega-development. Many infill development potential is possible along this A-Line Phase 1 routing, so the economic benefits can be justified quicker since Phase 2 of A-Line would go through area that is currently too low-density (at this time). An incremental A-Line will give development chance to catch up thru the airport, while immediately building something up the mountain.

As an almagamated city, there is going to be lots of difficulties with mountain councillors over the years, and we are likely going to have to consider the "most economically beneficial" LRT route that gives some inclusivity to the Mountain side -- and I'm seeing really wonderful densification possible on A-Line Phase 1. So I think this is probably the most politically easily won LRT extension, given that the new city councillor on this route (JP Danko) is very pro-LRT. But such councillors will have to work with less enthusaic suburb/mountain councillors, and having an A-Line studied and shovel-ready will provide excellent election opportunities.

Our waterfront densification is beginning shortly, so connecting waterfront + 2 GO stations + downtown + B-Line + Mohawk College + 2 large hospital campuses + our biggest flagship mall + densifiable corridor (room for apartment towers on Mountain) = A-Line Phase 1 being the biggest ROI winner.

Here's a potential timeline:

A-Line Phase 1 Timeline: Waterfront-Thru-Limeridge
2019-2020
- City council approves an A-Line LRT study as a way to allay mountain councillors. This can be funded cheaply (federally or municipally) to provide cheap shovel-readiness for future election promises.
2022 - Election announcement of A-Line LRT Phase 1 funding
2025 - Construction of A-Line LRT Phase 1 begins immediately after B-Line completes construction
2031 - Completion of construction
There are multiple ways up the escarpment, but the ultimate method is a ramp tunnel (1-station subway segment). This assumes ramp tunnel method instead of track up Claremont/James. ~4.8 to 5.2-degree dry ramp tunnel between the two StJoe hospitals (subway station underneath Fennel/5th to serve Mohawk/StJoe). This is very doable for LRT, and the tunnel keeps the steep ramp dry in bad weather. LRTs can climb steeper slopes than this dry, but most say 5-6 degrees tends to be a realistic maximum slope. The distance between the last lower city station and the first mountain station (the two StJoes) is ~1.25km horizontal, 75m vertical which results in about 6 degrees surface-to-surface. But a subway station at the college (underneath West 5th / Fennel Ave intersection) will reduce the incline to only 5 degrees.

A-Line Phase 2 Timeline: Waterfront-Thru-Airport
2026/2030
- Election announcement of A-Line LRT Phase 2 funding
2031 - Construction Phase 2 begins right after Phase 1
2034-2035 - Construction complete, shorter timeline since fully studied, fully surface, and simpler

From what I know, this is probably the most logical possible Hamilton LRT extension, from a benefits analysis, social and economic benefits, and political-allymaking purposes. The BLAST network doesn't have to be monolithic, as some of the BLAST routes can be semi-combined, like the single-route A-Line + T-Line hybrid becoming A-Line Phase 1 -- for maximized densification of an A-Line extension that brings taxpayer ROI quickest and pays for itself quicker.

A-Line buses in interim: The 20 A-Line express bus can be upgraded to a much more frequent allday 20L Waterfront-to-Limeridge (15min) and 20A Waterfront-to-Airport (15min) for 7.5min downtown peak service for the core segment of the theoretical 20L and 20A bus routes -- interspersed one after other -- resulting in 15 minute to Limeridge, 15 minute to airport.

Last edited:
I really like the "A–T line phase 1" proposal from a transportation planning perspective and I think it would be great to see an express bus on that corridor ASAP.
My biggest concerns would be getting this project funded which is not something I anticipate the current provincial government doing in advance of 2022 (even funding for the B-line is unclear at this point). Additionally, I worry that the city won't want to put too much of their own money into construction given how controversial the B-line was even though it was fully funded! I'm also worried about how much the 8km line would actually cost given the challenges of tunneling up the mountain and building underground station(s).
All that being said, the best thing our pro-LRT council can do is get the process started with feasibility studies.

^Great write up by the way!

Confederation GO, at least initially, will also only service a few riders on a few trains in the peak direction of rush hour. Not a strong ridership driver.
All the professionals here - self-proclaimed and otherwise - will write literally 1000s of posts decrying cars, money spent on parking garages at GO train stations and babbling about higher order transit. But god help us connect anything to commuter rail. Had I just come home from Union to Confederation, the last thing I’d be doing is taking a bus to connect to the B line.

I know all this takes money and we are decades behind, but lord almighty this is frustrating to watch. Spoke. Hub. Fiddle. Dick and diddle around with stupidity like hydrail. The money spent studying this shit could do no better than a grade 10 urban geography class and could pay for the damn spur from the current B line plan.

[end rant]

The original plan for this phase included a short spur-line to West Harbour GO (the current terminus) but the provincial government insisted that Hamilton cut a few stations. This was first decided to be the line east of Queenston stop but was then changed to the WHGO spur at the last moment. I have no idea how much an extra 1.5 km of tracks along Centennial would have cost, and it is frustrating that there is no direct GO connection. Hopefully in the future WH/Confederation see more than the 2 trains per day they usually get and it will make business sense to extend the LRT.

Back