Hamilton Hamilton Line B LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

NDP blood runs bright orange all throughout the Hammer. Which is why the corrupt, thuggish, criminal, ultra-right extremist occupying the Premier's office would like nothing more than to slip a shiv straight into the Hamilton's heart.
If there's anyone who's going to ruin the Hamilton LRT it will be the people of Hamilton themselves. If you had an inkling of knowledge of the project, you would know it's been highly controversial and that its fate will be contested in the upcoming municipal election which is exactly why Metrolinx is putting a halt to it. There may be many things to blame Doug Ford for but this isn't one of them, especially when the leader of ONDP herself has been unclear of her stance on the project which just goes to show that NDP voters don't all vote with transit in mind

NDP blood runs bright orange all throughout the Hammer. Which is why the corrupt, thuggish, criminal, ultra-right extremist occupying the Premier's office would like nothing more than to slip a shiv straight into the Hamilton's heart.
Those same blood bright orange NDP voters in Hamilton are more likely to flip to being Consevative voters in the next election than Liberal.

Reactions: DB9
It ain't over until the fat lady has sung.

I'm also mentally prepared with contingencies for a 4-year construction delay.

However, while this was supposed to be more NDP domain, the LRT does also have many conservative-friendly elements including developers and businesses that want to set up shop on the LRT corridor, and some of them have to work with the premier, so follow-the-money may influence Ford to keep LRT when we elect mainly proLRT candidates again.

The LRT will probably feel like a rollercoaster (pun intended) for a while. I'm expecting that.

Last edited:

lmfao

I was born in Ottawa. This is nothing new to me.

2006:

Ottawa city council cancels LRT with $177M penalty.

2013:
Ottawa city council unamiously votes a Phase 2 LRT extension for already-under-construction LRT.

The fight will continue.

I was born in Ottawa. This is nothing new to me.

2006:

Ottawa city council cancels LRT with $177M penalty.

2013:
Ottawa city council unamiously votes a Phase 2 LRT extension for already-under-construction LRT.

The fight will continue.

I am not very familiar with Ottawa transit, but I heard that the new Ottawa LRT plan is a lot better than the old plan cancelled in 2006 (and takes a completely different route).

I am not very familiar with Ottawa transit, but I heard that the new Ottawa LRT plan is a lot better than the old plan cancelled in 2006 (and takes a completely different route).
Should you wish to learn the details you could look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-Train

I found it hard to visualize everything since wikipedia and most contemporary news articles didn't seem to include maps of the proposed routes, just the descriptions.

Here is a map of the original LRT plan. Ottawa has a little single-tracked diesel line (Trillium line) in a rail corridor that they were going to double-track, electrify, and extend. The north-eastern extension would run on-street through downtown (eastbound on Slater and westbound on Albert) and the south-western extension would go south of the airport. It would have costed $778 million.

upload_2018-9-4_15-47-42.png

Here is the modified long-term LRT plan (2008). Instead of extending the Trillium line downtown, they decided to build a grade-separated east-west line (with a tunnel downtown) that connects to the Trillium line.
image002.jpg

Or more clearly, here shows the two lines and their planned extensions according to the current plan:

lrt_stage2_alignment_en2.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-4_15-47-42.png
    upload_2018-9-4_15-47-42.png
    890.3 KB · Views: 539
The old Ottawa LRT plan was worse than anything that could be said about the SSE. Ottawa, already struggling from terrible bus congestion into the core, decided to rebuild the existing O-Train (known as the Trillium Line today), into an electrified LRT, that would serve mostly new (pledged to be moderate density) suburbs, which would then run on the surface through the downtown core. All while doing exactly nothing to reduce bus congestion through the core (then at 180 buses per hour through the core), for the majority of riders.

This is what rush hour routinely looks like in Ottawa:
https://postmediaottawacitizen2.fil...d-up-along-the-nich.jpeg?quality=55&strip=all

It's faster to walk often.

The new LRT replaces several hundred buses through the downtown core, and on day one will have a peak capacity of about 11 000 riders per hour, making it the busiest LRT line in North America, at launch.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/loca...ractor-to-turn-over-2-1b-lrt-line-in-one-year

Basically the DRL for Ottawa.

There's no real parallel in Hamilton. For Hamilton, these LRT lines are a paradigm shift. But I wouldn't argue that Hamilton is risking the collapse of local transit if the LRT is delayed.

Last edited:
There's no real parallel in Hamilton. For Hamilton, these LRT lines are a paradigm shift. But I wouldn't argue that Hamilton is risking the collapse of local transit if the LRT is delayed.
Agreed there really is no parallel in Hamilton's case. It's the only city in the GTAH where ridership across the transit system has been contracting annually due to the lack of service expansion. The city has no choice but to gradually build up ridership to attract riders back to the system. The demand is there, but it will take many years to build it back up to a point where their is strong demand system wide.

The B-Line is really the only line which has stable enough demand to implement a higher mode of transit, and it effectively subsidizes many other routes in Hamilton.

Update from Hamilton. The Council results look promising that they'll continue to ask the Province follow through on using the $1B specifically for LRT. Had a different Mayor and council been elected that may have changed.

MUNICIPAL ELECTION 2018
Eisenberger Re-Elected Decisively in 'LRT Referendum' Election
LRT opponents insisted this election was a referendum on the project. Now it's time to put the never-ending debate to bed and get the shovels into the ground.

Rest of the article is here: https://raisethehammer.org/article/...liqAawVxzZ3bai8GTTRCBYTYmCfFdUCSlnOZ3br4wmxCc

Last edited:
We're going to press hard to keep Metrolinx moving forward on LRT.

Hamilton's election was a defacto LRT referendum!

Hamilton just voted a strongly pro-LRT council.

We just defeated these people:

It was a #yesLRT mayor (Fred Eisenberger) versus #NOLRT mayor (Vito Sgro).

View attachment 161433

View attachment 161434

View attachment 161435

#yesLRT 54% of the vote versus 38% !!!

Back