News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 897     0 

GTHA Transit Fare Integration

"Despite those benefits, the plan doesn't have the support of the union representing TTC workers.

" ATU Local 113 said it would "threaten the integrity" of Toronto's transit system and "provide the TTC with a convenient excuse to cut TTC routes and outsource service to other transit agencies."

TTC is held back in some regards by the union.

Yeah, they're ridiculous. Never mind that transit workers in Brampton and Mississauga are fully unionized public workers, and so are many in Durham Region. In York Region, while operations are contracted out, they are still performed by unionized workers. ATU 113 should know this, as they represent some of them.

Is the fare integration thing between Brampton Transit and TTC a stations-in-Vaughan-to-York-U (from Zum) issue or more general?

Yeah, the union has been a thing for a while.
I'd love for them to explain the "integrity" of several ATU-driven buses leaving passengers standing at a corner so they can wait for a bus driven by another ATU-driven bus that happens to have the right paint job.
And even they were right about the integrity of "the system," it'd be nice if someone thought about the RIDERS, who are always bottom of the pile with this stuff.

What a farce. They are wondering about the security of their jobs when every transit system in the country {including the TTC} are desperately short of drivers? Spare me. I think the real reason behind such a stupid stance is that the TTC Board encouraged them to take the stand to give the TTC an excuse as to why fare integration can't go forward.

What a farce. They are wondering about the security of their jobs when every transit system in the country {including the TTC} are desperately short of drivers? Spare me. I think the real reason behind such a stupid stance is that the TTC Board encouraged them to take the stand to give the TTC an excuse as to why fare integration can't go forward.
I doubt that? Like any union, the TTC fights against everything and anything that would be against their self interest - regardless of whether or not it's ultimately a good idea or not. They're not in the business of promoting good changes, just fighting against that even remotely negatively affects them. Want some examples? Fighting against removal of the 2nd guard on TTC trains - even though that role is unnecessary and is being phased out elsewhere in the world. Or how about fighting against any form of automated train, which is why even the Scarborough RT, where the ICTS technology is designed around having the trains be fully automated, they still managed to force the ttc to get drivers to stand there pushing the door open button.

So no, complaining about something that might reduce the job capacity is VERY MUCH in character with the Union.

The TRBOT renewed it's call for fare integration recently.

Plan is pretty much the same but now the zone map includes Barrie and KW.

1678982807038.png

Also, the Minister of Transportation is planning to speak at the TRBOT's transit symposium on March 30 regarding fare integration though I don't think it'll be anything more than him touting the achievements of the 905 GO co-fare agreement for example. But we'll see.

1678983155508.png

View attachment 461924

Also, the Minister of Transportation is planning to speak at the TRBOT's transit symposium on March 30 regarding fare integration though I don't think it'll be anything more than him touting the achievements of the 905 GO co-fare agreement for example. But we'll see.

There are definitely rumbles that Queen's Park will do 'something' on this file in the budget. Though no chickens should be counted in advance.

However, 'some progress' may not be much progress, we shall have to see.

I will say this, QP is compatively swimming in $$$.

Absent some last minute, out-the-door money, I expect there is a very real chance the budget is in balance this year and on pace for surplus next year.

The official line from the FAO was a 2.5B deficit based on numbers through the end of December or so.

But they envisioned much slower growth than what we saw in January in particular; suggestive of higher revenues than expected.

Having extra money, of course, does not mean it will be spent on this particular thing. But I do know the Ministry costed out some options for the budget.

Last edited:

View attachment 461924

View attachment 461925
For $150M/year to unlock so much more value from our transit investments, this seems like a no-brainer. Seems like an obvious thing for the Liberals to include in their election platform, if the PCO don't move on this front. I can see there might be some transient impacts from disrupting existing travel patterns (esp to GO) and maybe some remaining infrastructure concerns around having every operator/vehicle presto enabled.

This is in the realm of 'boutique tax credit' annual cost.

For $150M/year to unlock so much more value from our transit investments, this seems like a no-brainer. Seems like an obvious thing for the Liberals to include in their election platform, if the PCO don't move on this front. I can see there might be some transient impacts from disrupting existing travel patterns (esp to GO) and maybe some remaining infrastructure concerns around having every operator/vehicle presto enabled.

This is in the realm of 'boutique tax credit' annual cost.
I'd certainly support fare integration, but it would need to be implemented in an equitable way. The TRBoT's approach is overly influenced by the current organization of local transit agencies.
1679067449237.png

The 64km journey from Union to Hamilton would cost $11.70 per journey because it crosses Mississuga, Oakville, Burlington, and Hamilton zones.
1679067809139.png

Whereas the 66km journey from Union to Bowmanville would cost $7.70 per journey because it only crosses the two zones that Durham has been split into.

Similar issues occur on the Kitchener line where the split of Peel into Mississauga and Brampton (and the strange boundary alignment of the municipal boundary in NE Mississauga) add an extra zone-cost to all journeys beyond Malton.

I'd certainly support fare integration, but it would need to be implemented in an equitable way. The TRBoT's approach is overly influenced by the current organization of local transit agencies.
View attachment 462044
The 64km journey from Union to Hamilton would cost $11.70 per journey because it crosses Mississuga, Oakville, Burlington, and Hamilton zones.
View attachment 462047
Whereas the 66km journey from Union to Bowmanville would cost $7.70 per journey because it only crosses the two zones that Durham has been split into.

Similar issues occur on the Kitchener line where the split of Peel into Mississauga and Brampton (and the strange boundary alignment of the municipal boundary in NE Mississauga) add an extra zone-cost to all journeys beyond Malton.
You could just make Burlington-Oakville one zone to fix this, although I suppose it might have knock-on effects. Hamilton does show a discounted fare as well, but it only reduces the cost by 80 cents.

Geographically speaking there should be another zone in the east. Probably for everything east of Oshawa, but you’ll end up creating intra-region trips with added fare costs. That can be remedied I’m sure, but it’s not a big deal anyway as-is- it’s not like Bowmanville is the size of Hamilton, with half a million people getting a comparative advantage to it.

View attachment 462044
View attachment 462047

Maybe they'll consider Malton as just being in Brampton's zone due to the line's very short time in Mississauga and it would be very unnecessary if they charge riders an extra zone they didn't even wanna be in the first place.

Burlington and Oakville should just be merged into one zone and be called southern Halton if they're just gonna throw Milton and Halton Hills under one zone. Its understandable if they had done it this way because of the separate local transit between the 2, but it still should be in consideration. Brampton and Mississauga would have no choice but to stand on their own zones, we all know its highly unlikely they would ever combine them.

Back