News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 625     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Greenbelt developments

There is zero justification for opening up any additional rural land for development when the majority of the GTA consists of yellowbelt low-density sprawl such as detached homes and 1 storey plazas along arterial roads, offering almost limitless intensification potential. Disgusting.

Only last week, Ford appointed the 101-year-old Queen of Sprawl to chair the Greenbelt Council.

We know Hazel (who also collects over $100k a year as an advisor to Ford) and the premier are already tight. And she’s not above a little conflict of interest if it suits a friendly developer.

Excepting already protected parklands in urban river valleys, the only addition to the Greenbelt that is proposed is here:

View attachment 437069

Fine, so far as it goes, but far less of an expansion than what many have already long advocated for; and in no way offsets the proposed damage.

Any word on who owned the parcels that got released?

AoD

Any word on who owned the parcels that got released?

AoD

Not yet, on the previous page, I invited UT members who have access to the relevant databases to please out the would-be beneficiaries. I will ask others I know to do the same as well. The media also needs to press on this point.

At this point, I don't see why private land owners should be reaping a windfall from descoping land from the Greenbelt. I don't care if its PC-friendly developers or if this is completely above board.

If we needed any more evidence that this government was corrupt (yes i'll be that blunt and call a spade a spade) this is literally all we need.

This government literally doesnt care what Ontarians think, and are hand over fist in bed with developers to a whole other level that i havent seen in an extremely long time. Every single move Doug has made has been to benefit developers pure and simply, and if anyone doesnt see that then I really dont know what to say. He couldnt care less that rent is skyrocketing in Ontario, and he couldn't care less that house prices (until recent) are skyrocketing so that people can enter the market. The foreign homeowners tax increase was a mirage as i've said many times to really deflect the blame as to why rental/home prices have been skyrocketing, and another cover for him to do this.

Let's take a look to some of the projects and policies that have been put forth by this government, and let's ask ourselves whos really benefiting:

-Ontario Line: Much needed subway line, but let's ask ourselves why the project was deviated to run through to Exhibition?
Answer: To benefit private developers of Ontario Place

-
Bradford Bypass: Controversial highway to "relieve" congestion on the 400, but let's ask ourselves why the government is pushing for it so hard now
Awnser: Benefit private landowners and developers as we've long suspected

-
Highway 413: Controversial highway to relieve traffic "regionally"
Answer: Benefit private landowners and developers as we've long suspected

-Yonge Subway Extension: Subway to Richmond Hill, but let's ask ourselves why the project was deviated around Royal Orchard, and put through to connect to Langstaff station through some deluded alignment
Answer: Benefit homeowners and developers

-Eglinton West LRT: Underground LRT along Eglinton West for who knows what reason, but let's ask ourselves why this project is being built in the first place
Answer: This one goes deep, dig way back to Doug's time as councillor when he sold off the Richview Expressway lands, to ultimately benefit private developers and constituency

-Removing Rent Control to "stimulate" the development of more rental housing units, but let's ask ourselves why this really needed to be done
Answer: To benefit developers by increasing their fat profit margins

-Removing the requirement to replace rental housing units 1 for 1 if a building is redeveloped, let's ask ourselves why this needed to be done
Answer: To benefit developers by allowing them to increase profit margins dramatically however they please

I'll be frank here and terse here, honestly I dont think i've ever been so pissed at a government before in my life. Liberal, Conservative, NDP you name it, there's been countless times where i've been deeply upset with certain policies and disagreed with it (for instance Kathleen Wynne ignoring Ontarians and selling off Hydro One). But this one infuriates me like nothing else; it shows a blatant disregard for the environment, our food stock, our transportation network, infrastructure, and just about everything else you can imagine to benefit literally no one except for private owners and developers. This government needs to be investigated for their links to developers, because it's clear there's deep connections they arent trying to hide and there are major players benefiting.

Every single Ontarian (with yes the exception of private owners and developers) is getting screwed in one way or another, whether they know it or not by this idiotic unnecessary policy.

Agree with all of those except Ontario Line - I think it's good way to increase value of public land, as opposed to private developer land. Both ends (Science Centre, and Ontario Place) are crown land - it's better than building a subway to Scarborough Town Centre, or Vaughan MC, where it was private/developers' land values that ballooned .

Back