News   Apr 26, 2024
 527     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 387     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 580     0 

Goldie's Toronto

"I felt sorry for some of the game attendants who appeared bored." QUOTE Prof Goldie.

They are bored due to the fact that there are no customers, which is due to the fact that

they are bored!

Show interest to the prospective customer and the customer will show interest in the enterprise.

IT'S CALLED SHOWMANSHIP!

Regards,
J T

Ducky, ducky ducky! Who wants a ducky!

"The security guards at this building don't like to see photographers." QUOTE Prof Goldie.

Niether does the motorist in the first pic!

Reguards,
J T

Don River to the west of Graydon Hall apartments (under construction)
DonValleyaboveYorkMills.jpg

Oh my God, Goldie, you got a picture of that bridge? Took me a second to figure out what it was, even though I've roamed around there a half a dozen times... I've seen that pump house; it's a ruin now... and that other little building pressed into the side of the hill... but that bridge has been gone for decades and even one of the supports in the bank has become nearly invisible in just the past four or five years. I can't believe you got this shot... it's an absolute treasure.

Images from some old slides:

New car storage yard - Markham Rd/Finch
newcaryard.jpg

Highland Creek - Cedarbrae Park
wadingHighlandCreek.jpg

East side Yonge, 1 block N of Bloor
YongeNofBloor.jpg

Don River to the west of Graydon Hall apartments (under construction)
DonValleyaboveYorkMills.jpg

that white rectangular storefront on the left in the yonge n. of bloor photo was the second toronto location of long & mcquade. a music store. the portable p.a. system was invented there by pete traynor. they moved to bloor/major sts. after leaving the yonge st.building. very cool shot goldie.

I have been looking on Google maps trying to place the location of the bridge.

P.S. In fact, I'd guess that Goldie was standing at the side of Duncan Mills Road under construction when he took this shot. I've got all kinds of shots of the region from overflights, but I've never seen a picture of the bridge before. What a delight to find out it was one of southern Ontario's once iconic pony trusses. :)

Oh my God, Goldie, you got a picture of that bridge? Took me a second to figure out what it was, even though I've roamed around there a half a dozen times... I've seen that pump house; it's a ruin now... and that other little building pressed into the side of the hill... but that bridge has been gone for decades and even one of the supports in the bank has become nearly invisible in just the past four or five years. I can't believe you got this shot... it's an absolute treasure.

I'm so pleased by your comments.
It's great to surprise someone!

Perhaps I should post the pic to the 'Don Mills' string - and hope to surprise others.

Last edited:
Goldie,
Nice piece of info! I did know this, of course this area was not on my radar until recently. I did live for a very short period of 72 in Guildwood, on the bluffs, at the foot of Poplar rd.
I wonder what will happen to Camp Samac in Oshawa. It is a surprisingly similar situation, with subdivisions and a large university encroaching on it.

This colourful photo (attached) of St John's appeared today on http://spacingatlantic.ca/
I immediately imagined how wonderful it would be if all of Toronto's downtown high-rises could be painted in a selection of bright colours.

Attachments

• 4838059417_24d1b36213_z.jpg
    4838059417_24d1b36213_z.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 497
I recently became aware of a WWII radar site that was built on the edge of Scarborough Bluffs.
I had never before heard of that so it was a "must-see."
The building is now used by local government offices and is in the process of being designated as an 'historical site.'
To my dismay, there is little evidence of the original purpose other than a huge concrete block.

The view of the Lake however, is magnificent!

EastvilleRadarsmaller.jpg

LakeOntariooffScarboroughsmaller.jpg

I worked out of that building in the 80's Goldie when Metro Parks owned it and we just used it for storing equipment and as an office. Didn't know of its past , thanks for that.

Back