News   Apr 26, 2024
 59     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 139     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 565     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

It is quickly becoming dank and dark - just give the exhaust a bit more time (a year or two) to do its work.

AoD
Yeah....I was just poring over the "cathedral" pic again, taking close notice of the depicted catenary. It's fine and not easy to see, but it's there. And it's 'flown' in the technical sense of not being a rigid rail as will be necessary with the very low clearance still for much of the new shed. Toronto Union remains reminiscent of New York's present Penn Station which is proposed to be 'daylighted' again...or at least last time I checked. The plan was for the Farley Post Office to become the new station, but I haven't checked on the latest for that for some months.

I'm far from the only person to lament what the Toronto Union shed could have been, and what it is now.

Addendum: The most recent story (editorial opinion) I can find on NYC's Penn Station. The Farley PO re-use is a stunning concept, whether it ever sees 'the light of day' remains to be seen:
https://www.amny.com/opinion/editor...explain-his-plans-for-penn-station-1.18137240

Last edited:
Just wanted to point out that the work on the shed is far from over, so hold your judgement for now.
There is still a large amount of lighting still to come, and the redundant (old) steel within the central section will be removed.

Yeah....I was just poring over the "cathedral" pic again, taking close notice of the depicted catenary. It's fine and not easy to see, but it's there. And it's 'flown' in the technical sense of not being a rigid rail as will be necessary with the very low clearance still for much of the new shed. UToronto Union remains reminiscent of New York's Penn Station...which is about to be 'daylighted' again...or at least last time I checked. The plan was for the Post Office to become the new station, but I haven't checked on the latest for that for some months.

I'm far from the only person to lament what the Toronto Union shed could have been, and what it is now.

Yes the Penn plans have been in works for at least the last two decades but this time it should be real - they have started construction. Having said that, it couldn't replace what was lost.

Just wanted to point out that the work on the shed is far from over, so hold your judgement for now.
There is still a large amount of lighting still to come, and the redundant (old) steel within the central section will be removed.

The central atrium isn't really the problem (beyond being a little meh) - it is the redone sheds that are. I don't see Cinderella happening here.

AoD

Last edited:
Yes the Penn plans have been in works for the last two decades but this time it should be real - they have started construction. Having said that, it couldn't replace what was lost.

The central atrium isn't really the problem - it is the redone sheds that are. I don't Cinderella happening here.

AoD
I for one, accept my Disney overlords.

You are going to lose your glass slippers walking down those stairs.

AoD
lol! Sinful.
Having said that, it (NYC Penn Station original) couldn't replace what was lost.
It was a magnificent masterpiece with shafts of light blanketing the platforms below ground level (necessary to be at grade with the tunnels each side of Manhattan), something subway station designers are still trying to capture to this day.
I must admit to being unaware of minutiae of the plans. I'm still gobsmacked that the concrete chimney vent sewer channels were considered "heritage" and to be left in place.

16624-55251.jpg

Last edited:
I, for one, am and will always be horrified by the fact we didn’t completely replace the old roof with that raised glass. Absolutely smh. Especially looking at the southernmost part of the old roof being a different design than the original part. And then platforms 24-27 being another different design again. Missed opportunity. Ah, Toronto. Gotta love it still.

Added: Why couldn’t they have taken it down, replaced it totally with the glass at Union, then used parts of the old one to cover random sections of track within the USRC approaches? Or at other random stations across Toronto?

Last edited:
Added: Why couldn’t they have taken it down, replaced it totally with the glass at Union, then used parts of the old one to cover random sections of track within the USRC approaches? Or at other random stations across Toronto?

If the Sam the Record Man sign can be put up at an unrelated location, 30 stories above the ground, then why can't we shift parts of the old trainshed roof?

That's why I used the word "still". It's far from being something like this:

70003854_642803b3e3.jpg

THAT is what I'd call a "Cathedral of Light".
Thousands of times, and most likely before you were even born.

That is ugly as sin.

Looks like leftovers on a plate after someone gutted a fish.

If the Sam the Record Man sign can be put up at an unrelated location, 30 stories above the ground, then why can't we shift parts of the old trainshed roof?
That's a very good point. There's many 'heritage' structures relocated to save them when they interfere with progress. Expressway construction and building facades immediately come to mind. Museums are another, or Guildwood Park.

That is ugly as sin.

Looks like leftovers on a plate after someone gutted a fish.
Perhaps, but there's a *hell of a lot more* light and space compared to what there is now.

Here's what a freakin' light-restricted mess looks like:
And that's in full daylight! Look at the sunlight on the buildings in the background. What you fail to take into consideration is that the 'cathedral' that was the topic in the early days of this forum string was built on the existing steel pillars...*utilizing as much historical structure* as possible while brilliantly serving the critically important function of the station.

What's there now wouldn't even be a good factory build, let alone a multi-million $ 'showcase'.

That's why I used the word "still". It's far from being something like this:

70003854_642803b3e3.jpg

THAT is what I'd call a "Cathedral of Light".
Thousands of times, and most likely before you were even born.
While it is much better than before, I think the shed roof should have been made out of glass on the existing shed beyond the centre.

Basically keep the shed, but add "_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_" glass peaks above the tracks while keeping the existing shed.

I think after seeing the roof gone, and seeing the beautiful sky and CN tower, it is a missed opportunity. Even if a few small sections needs to be blocked off for electrical equipment, it would still be quite airy to the rest of Union platforms.

Basically keep the shed, but add "_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_" glass peaks above the tracks while keeping the existing shed.
This is a very common and tried and trued method for many stations, especially in Europe but also in North Am too. The problem in the past for North Am had been snow-load and smoke venting, so you see this more often on electrified train-sheds. I think you're absolutely right, and you wouldn't get this already developing on a roof only just built:
upload_2018-5-15_13-40-10.png

Compare that to the rendition:
KNWD7UTHYRFJDA4ZQMAAUSPSFQ

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-15_13-40-10.png
    upload_2018-5-15_13-40-10.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
May 17
That copper flashing has been there for months, if not last year if I recall correctly.

Whats up with VIA Platform?? They have lower it and removed the stair.
27369703777_2763f0df31_b.jpg

27369702407_7195155e55_b.jpg

27369701427_bd15130551_b.jpg

Back