News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Or better yet, can we spend the $5M to tear down the shed, because we sure know it ain't enough to dress up this pig in lipstick.

AoD
Unfortunately, we are stuck with it because it was put on the historic registry because it's the only example of thtat type of stations. Which to me says that they weren't a good design or they don't function well anymore.

Unfortunately, we are stuck with it because it was put on the historic registry because it's the only example of thtat type of stations. Which to me says that they weren't a good design or they don't function well anymore.
So, by those standards, they'll have to preserve the shopping mall beneath Aura, cuz I haven't seen anything like that anywhere.

It's funny because garbage like this is put on the historic registry, while old federal buildings like the old Bank of Canada on University Ave can get hacked up by anyone who pleases.

^Actually, anyone can nominate a building in the community for heritage designation. There is a regulation to the Heritage Act that lays out the criteria. The nomination needs rigour (as it may eventually be challenged legally) but the requirements are not beyond what an interested party can assemble if they are prepared to do the work.

City of Toronto’s web site lays this all out.

As usual, people say “someone (else) oughta do the work” but you only get the kind of city that you are willing to put your own sweat into.

- Paul

I take the GO religiously again now.

The train shed is 'refreshed' over platforms 5&6.

Looks like utter shit. Pardon my language, but this dump looks just as dumpy as it did 10 years ago. Passengers, however, still can't move on the platforms due to crowding. How many more deaths due to people getting caught on the train until heritage takes a back seat to functioning public transit hub?

I missed that scene by about 10 minutes that day I think. *shudder*

AoD
You know, I've been thinking about this one. Whenever I wait for the train I tend to be somewhere in the middle of the pack, near the front of the LSW train. When the train is arriving (not arrived, but still pulling in), people behind you will start pushing. The people at the front start pushing back or they'll end up on the tracks.. As the train is pulling in.

I can see the deaths now, and mark my words it'll happen one of these days. Union crowding is getting out of hand on busy lines. And all of this on platforms narrower than on the subway.

You know, I've been thinking about this one. Whenever I wait for the train I tend to be somewhere in the middle of the pack, near the front of the LSW train. When the train is arriving (not arrived, but still pulling in), people behind you will start pushing. The people at the front start pushing back or they'll end up on the tracks.. As the train is pulling in.

I can see the deaths now, and mark my words it'll happen one of these days. Union crowding is getting out of hand on busy lines. And all of this on platforms narrower than on the subway.

And of course, those safety officers have promptly disappeared by and large within a week of that accident. Not that you can deploy enough of them to matter - but at least it covered the "we tried" PR part.

AoD

Last edited:

Maybe they should force passengers to wait inside until the train has fully arrived? Sort of like at Penn in NY? (I am no transit expert, just providing an idea.)

Maybe they should force passengers to wait inside until the train has fully arrived? Sort of like at Penn in NY? (I am no transit expert, just providing an idea.)

Because with a concourse knocked out of service keeping the rush in the two teamways would be really viable. Bet you it won't be - and there will be a stampede if they try to manage that crush crowd rushing to catch a late train up those one and a half person wide death trap staircases.

AoD

Last edited:

Back