News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 423     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

New" South Concourse Platform Level. (Proposed.

upload_2018-3-1_7-1-45.png

upload_2018-3-1_7-1-54.png

upload_2018-3-1_7-2-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-1_7-1-45.png
    upload_2018-3-1_7-1-45.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 933
  • upload_2018-3-1_7-1-54.png
    upload_2018-3-1_7-1-54.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 872
  • upload_2018-3-1_7-2-12.png
    upload_2018-3-1_7-2-12.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 754
It is my understanding those are the older proposals from long before they built the big glass box.

What they proposed when they began the Union revitalization, is hugely in flux.

^ But the glass box is in one of the pictures. Second one.
Wasn't that the old vertical pole design? The old concept art of the glass box? I seem to remember seeing something similar years ago.

If this is honestly recent art, what is the date of the concept art? Would be surprised if they used a crappy artist for this one. Or they recycled the art file for some platform mod....

union2pearson - inquiring minds want to know. I think this art is outdated but if this is a recent art design, this throws a new monkey wrench in the platform 24-28 re-re-re-design saga.

There have been at least 3 design changes to the south platforms (24+ area) from what I recall, and we're only gelling to the most recent design of the triplewidth platform (which Mr. Verster now says is the first proposed raised platform).

Last edited:
Looking closer,

This looks like potentially the intermediate design revision before they decided to eliminate the middle track and make it triplewidth instead.

upload_2018-3-1_17-21-59.png

So this definitely looks like one of the now-outdated designs in the current (still ongoing) Platform 24+ re-re-redesign saga.

Personally, based on what I know now, I like the triplewidth raised platform idea the most.

Union Station Subway level-boarding is the way to go for Lakeshore East/West in the future -- with lots of peak-period passenger flow capacity in wider stairwells + wider platforms.

In one perspective: That means Toronto politics totally dropped the ball and totally bØЯk3d the current design of Platform 24+ when they built it only a few years ago. Which ideally should have been built to a more durable design, wider and raised, right from the beginning -- perhaps. But rebuilding a still-new Platform 26/27 to fix structural classic North American commuter+freight rail mistakes takes time into a more European/Japan quality standard, but at least it's gelling in a great direction to an ultra-high-traffic subway-style level-board platform.

Rapid good refinements in GO direction towards good ultimate goals -- a long time in coming -- means I'm not going to cry in a defacto-early-demolition of Platform 26/27 to make way for an ultra-high-traffic metro platform.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-1_17-21-59.png
    upload_2018-3-1_17-21-59.png
    173 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
Please tell me those are raised platforms.......

Hey all,

Well, I can say that the artists used recycled diagrams in some of the artwork, but some are up to date, including the second picture. I apologize for not being more specific, but the diagrams depicted are with raised platforms on the South End, which will include a new South Concourse. The final designs are forthcoming, but I am limited to what I can post on public forums. I hope you all understand.

u2p.

Hey all,

Well, I can say that the artists used recycled diagrams in some of the artwork, but some are up to date, including the second picture. I apologize for not being more specific, but the diagrams depicted are with raised platforms on the South End, which will include a new South Concourse. The final designs are forthcoming, but I am limited to what I can post on public forums. I hope you all understand.

u2p.
So these are internal images not released yet that you secretly posted?

Hey all,

u2p.

So are they getting rid of this track (as I read here before) or now deciding to keep it? I've done a quick markup below to try to assist with the convo. Orange would be the south new platform on the existing track. Green = existing tracks to remain. Red = track to be removed.

2HZ0amD

^ Haven't seen an official drawing, but that's what I understood to be the new plan.

The green lines are tracks 14 and 16 (easier to refer to tracks than platforms) and the red is Track 15. (For reference, Track 13 is the track on the south side of the old trainshed)

Older documents issued by ML called for Track 16 to be removed in favour of a south-side platform feeding Track 15. It looks like now track 15 will go. That will create a much wider platform, but trains on T16 will only be able to open doors on the north side. I wonder what the tradeoffs are in terms of dwell time and crowding on the platform.

I also wonder if this means westbound LSE to LSW trains will cross over and make their stops down this way, as opposed to using Track 2-3. That is problemmatic in terms of the issue of conflicting movements on the ladders, but perhaps ML has a new plan for that also.

- Paul

But if only track 15 is removed, how can an extra wide platform be constructed. With the removal of 1 track wouldn't only a regular width platform be possible?

So are they getting rid of this track (as I read here before) or now deciding to keep it? I've done a quick markup below to try to assist with the convo. Orange would be the south new platform on the existing track. Green = existing tracks to remain. Red = track to be removed.

2HZ0amD

Back