News   May 10, 2024
 80     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 265     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 706     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Just mapping out a concept map
View attachment 514698
I don't understand why an express version wouldn't just hit the three mid-line interchanges (i.e., Woodbine - Line 6, Mount Dennis - Line 5, and Bloor - Line 2). But I guess the service pattern suggested is to make both versions only hit no more than 4 stations. So here I am answering my own question. Haha.

If one was to have two different trains, I'd be tempted to do like Heathrow, and have one train as non-stop, and the other stop everywhere.

Might be interesting to extend one of them to East Harbour station as well.

Last edited:
I think my idea might be closer to reality than you guys are thinking, but I guess we all won’t know until mid next year.

I think my idea might be closer to reality than you guys are thinking, but I guess we all won’t know until mid next year.
The only station opening next year is Mount Dennis. By the time the rest of the stations are open the line should be fully quad tracked.

Last edited:

I can't imagine ML skipping the Peel/Brampton market. The Woodbine station and the St Clair stations will not be with us for years. The Liberty station platforms are now pretty much cast in stone and that implies a service plan that's already fairly well firmed up.

UP business does not seem to be harmed by having to make stops - it's still a very quick trip to the airport. I can't imagine that an express service on top of the current stopping business would bring in more riders.

I can believe that UP might eventually want to move to a much more frequent headway, and I suppose that might demand trains that skip every second stop on an alternating basis. They would have to increase their fleet to make that work. When the line is electrified, that may be an option.

- Paul

Seems like they’re finally running buses to Union again but its not what you expect.

View attachment 514813
View attachment 514814
Apparently that update was error, the bus will NOT be going from Kipling to Union.

It will instead follow the current route 21C except go to Kipling and terminate there rather than going to Port Credit.

I can't imagine ML skipping the Peel/Brampton market. The Woodbine station and the St Clair stations will not be with us for years. The Liberty station platforms are now pretty much cast in stone and that implies a service plan that's already fairly well firmed up.

UP business does not seem to be harmed by having to make stops - it's still a very quick trip to the airport. I can't imagine that an express service on top of the current stopping business would bring in more riders.

I can believe that UP might eventually want to move to a much more frequent headway, and I suppose that might demand trains that skip every second stop on an alternating basis. They would have to increase their fleet to make that work. When the line is electrified, that may be an option.

- Paul
But you cannot expect a 10 or 12 car GO train to serve the same kind of route. 6 Cars maybe. But the costs analysis doesn't make sense for that kind of ridership.

But you cannot expect a 10 or 12 car GO train to serve the same kind of route. 6 Cars maybe. But the costs analysis doesn't make sense for that kind of ridership.

The short UP platforms pretty much guarantee that we won't be running long GO trains to the airport. The issue is, even at the moment UP is pretty well patronised, and some of that ridership represents non-airport GO patrons who use UP because GO only runs hourly. Meanwhile, airport-related demand can be expected to rise, especially when stops at Liberty and Mount Dennis are added.
Increasing GO service and then reinstating a premium fare for non-Pearson riders is probably the best stopgap, and then one can scale up the UP headways to align to growth in airport business. Skipping alternate stops then becomes one possible way to manage those closer headways.

- Paul

The short UP platforms pretty much guarantee that we won't be running long GO trains to the airport. The issue is, even at the moment UP is pretty well patronised, and some of that ridership represents non-airport GO patrons who use UP because GO only runs hourly. Airport-related patronage can be expected to rise, especially when Liberty and Mount Dennis are added.
Increasing GO service and then reinstating a premium fare for non-Pearson riders is probably the best stopgap, and then one can scale up the UP headways to align to growth in airport business. Skipping alternate stops then becomes one possible way to manage those closer headways.

- Paul
How much faster can an L6 with an MP40 accelerate vs an L12? Or use one F59 on each end.

How much faster can an L6 with an MP40 accelerate vs an L12? Or use one F59 on each end.

It's moot.

UP couldn't run L6 trains into Pearson even if they wanted to. I believe @Willybru21 's notional map was all about meeting Pearson demand independent of GO service, which is unlikely to ever terminate at Pearson.

- Paul

It's moot.

UP couldn't run L6 trains into Pearson even if they wanted to. I believe @Krypto98's notional map was all about meeting Pearson demand independent of GO service, which is unlikely to ever terminate at Pearson.

- Paul
Build a station on the main line. What happened to Union station west?

Build a station on the main line. What happened to Union station west?

Decades away.

(There is a station proposed for the main line, by the way..... it's called Woodbine. It was announced in 2017. And was never meant to serve the airport. But it's as close as GO could ever get, unless USW actually happens)

- Paul

Apparently that update was error, the bus will NOT be going from Kipling to Union.

It will instead follow the current route 21C except go to Kipling and terminate there rather than going to Port Credit.
That makes a lot more sense thank you for clarifying.

Oh I mean when the OnXpress service plan is released, which is going to be sometime next year, not when stations are going to open
Is their timetable for building everything out yet? It's already been 18 months since the contract was awarded, and IO haven't even announced the start of construction yet.

Perhaps On Corridor (OnXpress) needs it's own thread.

Back