News   Apr 22, 2024
 777     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 665     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

There is a proposal to use the Fergus sub to provide this kind of service.
I think that's only to provide service into Galt (Cambridge) from Guelph and the Kitchener line, rather than using the more direct Milton line.

The Fergus Sub has nothing to do with service to the east of Milton and in to downtown Toronto. That's where the restriction lies.
Theoretically, you could take a train from Union that's arrived from Milton, then run it back to Guelph, down the the Fergus sub, change to the CP at the Waterloo sub, and onto the Galt sub eastbound to another (latish) peak run.

But it wouldn't provide counter-peak service along the Milton line, which is what the question was about. Or be very pragmatic or useful I'd think.

How can there be a 0% transit share when people already use the existing GO trains to travel between Kitchener and Guelph?
Rounding.

1% would be 300 (or 150 to 449 people).

0% would be 0 to 149 people.

Which isn't surprising. Pre-Covid (September 2019) the last eastbound train from Kitchener to Guelph during AM rush arrived in Guelph at 8:20 AM, while the first westbound in PM peak was at 5:12 pm. I'd think the number of people that this would for would be small (but more than 0). And this was only a relatively recent development.

But I'd think the bigger demand would be commuting to Kitchener from Guelph - which remained impossible with the first GO Train departing westbound from Guelph at 2:22 pm.

Last edited:
What's going on with the last weekend southbound train on the Stouffville line in the schedule? I've never seen anything like this. A train seems to magically appear at Unionville for a 22:05 departure, a whole 17 minutes after the previous normally scheduled hourly departure at 21:48. This seems like a mistake. I can't imagine where they're getting that train from, nor what the point of that run would be.

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 1.36.55 PM.png

What's going on with the last weekend southbound train on the Stouffville line in the schedule? I've never seen anything like this. A train seems to magically appear at Unionville for a 22:05 departure, a whole 17 minutes after the previous normally scheduled hourly departure at 21:48. This seems like a mistake. I can't imagine where they're getting that train from, nor what the point of that run would be.

View attachment 433130
It's probably a dead head run that they put into service.

It's probably a dead head run that they put into service.
Deadheading from where though? As far as I know all the (weekend) northbound Stouffville trains return southbound after a layover, so there isn't spare train sitting around. They would need to run an extra train all the way from the yard at Old Elm, and the only way that would make sense is if they need to constantly rebalance a train onto the Kitchener line (which through-runs with Stouffville on the weekends if I remember correctly).

Last edited:
Deadheading from where though? As far as I know all the (weekend) northbound Stouffville trains return southbound after a layover, so there isn't spare train sitting around. They would need to run an extra train all the way from the yard at Old Elm, and the only way that would make sense is if they need to constantly rebalance a train onto the Kitchener line (which through-runs with Stouffville on the weekends if I remember correctly).
Don't they layover at Old Elm?

Umm.. There are no weekend trains on the Kitchener Line at present..

Umm.. There are no weekend trains on the Kitchener Line at present..
My bad. A year or 2 ago I was on a Stouffville train that once it reached Union an announcement was made that it was carrying on either as a Barrie Line or Kitchener Line train. If it was Kitchener then it must have been a weekday, otherwise it was the Barrie Line. Maybe they aren't through-running anymore. I don't know. Point is that last southbound train still makes no sense to me.

They said they were going to last year

It was a random announcement that was made by Omar Alghabra when he (and Trudeau) were running for re-election. It was an announcement made without prior notice or consultation with the Ontario Government, and overall was more of an empty promise to try and win a snap-election rather than a proper commitment that we can expect any proper action with in the coming years (especially since this is the Feds we're talking about, getting transit projects done is uh... not their strong suit, to say the least). Will it happen? Maybe, in fact hopefully it does, however I would take the announcement with a grain of salt.

My bad. A year or 2 ago I was on a Stouffville train that once it reached Union an announcement was made that it was carrying on either as a Barrie Line or Kitchener Line train. If it was Kitchener then it must have been a weekday, otherwise it was the Barrie Line. Maybe they aren't through-running anymore. I don't know. Point is that last southbound train still makes no sense to me.
As of right now the pattern is usually
On weekdays
Kitchener>Barrie >Stouffville >Kitchener

On weekends it's just Barrie and Stouffville

In the Peel Metrolinx email newsletter there is this passage about Milton Line service. First time I've seen them highlight the timetable with colours. Not new news to folks here on the service change.

Milton Line increased service
Starting Monday, October 17 Metrolinx reintroduced two rush hour trips on the Milton Line. This is the second service change in a series of reinstatements in the month of October to add rail service where it is most needed as crews become available.

The reintroduced morning eastbound trip departs Milton GO at 7:31 a.m. The afternoon westbound trip departs Union Station at 5:25 p.m.

We hear you - you'd love to see more service, and we're working on it. We're ramping up service in phases, with more to come. As we gradually add more trips, be sure to check your schedule before you leave and plan your trip ahead of time.

Beyond adding service, we monitor ridership closely to ensure our service meets customer needs.

1666363235740.png

1666363240304.png

Back