News   Apr 24, 2024
 958     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Via the Globe and Mail. Ford did a campaign announcement in Bowmanville today. Not sure this capital number has been specified before or recently for the option they are going with?

Via the Globe and Mail. Ford did a campaign announcement in Bowmanville today. Not sure this capital number has been specified before or recently for the option they are going with?
theyve quoted $750 million, that excludes the 500 mill operations costs as quoted in the pbdc
actual costs including maintenance is between 1.3 and 1.5 bil

^ Also, I think Ford was a little sloppy in his wording when he said it's "15-min, all day, two-way to Bowmanville" service frequency to Bowmanville? Start watching at the 13:18 mark here. Is that what the PDBC says it will be?

I'm not sorry when any politician picks up the 2-way, 15-minute mantra.... but you are correct, the Business case didn't promise that. No wires on CP, so the Bowmanville service isn't an extension of that. 30 minutes peak, hourly off peak, 2 hours on weekends.

But the cost sure has grown since the IBC was tabled.

- Paul

^ Probably related to the cost of the (1) new bridge over the 401 beside the existing CP GM spur bridge, and the (2) new rail-under-rail grade separation for the GO-CP GM Spur track?

1651860000267.png

Last edited:
Those are some tight curves. What kind of trains are supposed to be able run on those.

The existing fleet.

Luckily since this is before/after a station (depending on the direction you are going, and there is a new station before the second curve, you already have to slow down/accelerate out of the stations. So its not a huge deal.

^ I'm almost certain it's grade separated because Metrolinx said that the route could operate "independently" of CP Rail.

You can double check here. This was recently released as noted a few pages back.

Re GM spur:

https://www.metrolinx.com/en/region...nement-Technical-Memorandum-post-PDBC-V17.pdf

>New bridge to be constructed on the GM spur over Hwy 401 parallel to current bridge with grade separation between Metrolinx and CP tracks north of the 401
ya so it is separated

Increasing GO service during an election should not be allowed. That being said, I hope this means Stouffville will finally get weekend trains again.
New services sure - but with increasing covid-recovery ridership, there's no reason to stop the restoration of services.

The alignment of the prior Bowmanville plan made more sense. It seems like the current routing is only being selected to maintain the current Oshawa station and which really wasn't the ideal location for Oshawa station anyways. The new plan shows Thornton's Corners station almost right across the 401 from the Oshawa station which would likely be the closest together of any two stations in the network. Thornton's Corners made sense with the old alignment because there was no Oshawa station. I wish they would use the old routing plan and then work to finding a way for VIA to switch to CP between Port Hope and Whitby with a stop at Ritson Road / Oshawa Centre station.

The existing fleet.

Luckily since this is before/after a station (depending on the direction you are going, and there is a new station before the second curve, you already have to slow down/accelerate out of the stations. So its not a huge deal.

Almost a mile and a quarter at 15 miles per hour is hardly what I would call "not a huge deal". That's a quarter mile longer than the former PSO that Metrolinx just removed through Guelph.

Dan

The alignment of the prior Bowmanville plan made more sense. It seems like the current routing is only being selected to maintain the current Oshawa station and which really wasn't the ideal location for Oshawa station anyways. The new plan shows Thornton's Corners station almost right across the 401 from the Oshawa station which would likely be the closest together of any two stations in the network. Thornton's Corners made sense with the old alignment because there was no Oshawa station. I wish they would use the old routing plan and then work to finding a way for VIA to switch to CP between Port Hope and Whitby with a stop at Ritson Road / Oshawa Centre station.

The issue with the old routing was the cost. It was deemed too expensive. Not to mentioned the logistical issues of two routes and Oshawa being an interchange between GO and VIA

^ it also more logistically challenging because of how close it intersected with the Whitby MSF and an additional Road rail grade separation was going to be required. I can't remember which road but I'll check the map later

Back