News   Apr 16, 2024
 176     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 676     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 476     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney answered, saying that the government shares the desire to see the project move ahead as quickly as possible. She said discussions are still underway with CP to finalize a commercial agreement for the use of its tracks for the preferred route. A memorandum of understanding between Metrolinx and the Region of Durham has recently been formalized. Metrolinx also recently completed geotechnical work in the CP-owned corridor, a necessary preliminary step before any construction.

That curve is going to feel like the UP Express turn out to Pearson at highway 427. Squeaking wheels, derailment prevention guard rails, people wondering who designed this route, etc. The grades to get up over the 401 and for the track to pass over the CP line... I think this route is only "back of a napkin calculation" cheaper than the alternatives. The curves and gradients on the prior route would have been much more simple to engineer, and the length of the line being built would be shorter. I wish they had a detailed costing available to look at because it is hard to imagine where the savings are coming from.

I wish they had a detailed costing available to look at because it is hard to imagine where the savings are coming from
I assumed the savings they assumed from the route switch had come from when the GM plant had been shut down they were going to reuse the existing rail bridge. But then when the plant reopened they were stuck to the new route and then needed to build a new bridge.

I assumed the savings they assumed from the route switch had come from when the GM plant had been shut down they were going to reuse the existing rail bridge. But then when the plant reopened they were stuck to the new route and then needed to build a new bridge.
And do we know what kind of rolling stock is going to be used on that route?

GO stated recently that ridership is currently around 40% of pre-pandemic. That honestly seems like very healthy demand considering that they are scheduling barely half of the normal service, almost all of which is slow local service.

When I lived in Waterloo, I almost always took GO express bus services to travel to/from the GTA (30, 25F, 25C). But I wouldn't waste my time on the 25 local, which is the only one GO is currently scheduling on weekends. Why would I pay regional ticket prices for a bus that's barely faster than a municipal bus? And that's not even considering the extra time standing around waiting for GO to call in an extra bus for the people who couldn't fit on the normally scheduled one.

The low "demand" (ridership) that GO observes is a direct consequence of the poor service offerings.

Wonder if express service on Lakeshore is coming back. Does anyone know? @smallspy maybe?
I certainly hope express service will return on Lakeshore West and Kitchener. It is absurd that trains are stopping at every single station en route from Niagara Falls (130 km) and London (190 km).

Last edited:
I guess these would be the only other option and they are FRA compliant. https://www.railwayage.com/news/sbcta-stadler-dmu-out-for-delivery/
They meet *an* FRA standard but aren‘t built to the same regulatory basis as UPX trains - they likely need a waiver founded on signal/protection enhancements even to run with FRA Tier 1 DMUs such as UPX or RDCs without temporal separation, never mind CPR or GO. https://www.metro-magazine.com/10023132/denton-county-files-alt-vehicle-tech-waiver.

Back