News   Apr 24, 2024
 954     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

How does it compare to the curve for the Bala Sub/Richmond Hill line as it joins the USRC near the Don River?
Well, at 3-ish % this is far steeper. And at a quick blush, looks tighter too.

The curve onto the USRC from the Bala is rated at 25mph, buf the total PSO is only about .6 of a mile, whereas the one in Oshawa is over 1.1 miles (and potentially more, depending on where the tie-in with the Belleville Sub is done).

Dan

May 24 weekend seems to be what they are looking at.

Dan

Thank you @smallspy for responding. So with the Victoria weekend starting on Sat 21 May service will be increased or with the following Tuesday?

So far the Niagara Falls train will be running in the long Victoria Day weekend based on my source.

Sat 21 May service will be increased or with the following Tuesday?
GO's work week starts on a Saturday, so all new service "starts" on a Saturday. If the service change involves Weekday changes, then the change will begin the first weekday after the Saturday change date.
With this May 24 weekend, weekend improvements will begin on May 21st and any weekday improvements will begin May 24th

Last edited:
Increasing GO service during an election should not be allowed. That being said, I hope this means Stouffville will finally get weekend trains again.

Why? All we’re hoping for is restoration of cuts made during peak Omicron back in January.

As long as these next service changes are mere service restorations made without political fanfare, I don’t see the problem.

As for Stouffville and Barrie, GO may not be quick to restore weekend service as it makes the major expansion work a lot easier to do.

I know they can't hold a press conference or anything, but it's still the incumbent government giving something new of value to the electorate and that could influence voting.

Stouffville riders are back to some standing-room only buses on the weekends again, so I think they will need to add some trains again before all the big summer events start up again.

Increasing GO service during an election should not be allowed. That being said, I hope this means Stouffville will finally get weekend trains again.
Ideally things like GO services should not be tied with politics at all. The fact that we're at a point where increasing service back to what it was like 6 months ago is something that could be considered a political move to influence an election is frightening.

I mean did the government hold press releases last year as services ramped up again? I know they did for things like Hamilton all-day GO service, but I don't think the return of express services on LSW received any government attention, nor any of the other service restorations.

Ideally things like GO services should not be tied with politics at all. The fact that we're at a point where increasing service back to what it was like 6 months ago is something that could be considered a political move to influence an election is frightening.

The challenge here though is the relative uniqueness of the size of the ramp-up.

If service improvements are modest, a new peak-hour train, a new shoulder-peak train, shaving 3 minutes off a trip time etc etc.

These are easily done w/o seeming overtly political.

But where service restoration may literally amount to a 100% increase in service.............that's hard for that not to be political in some way.

Of course, there's a danger for a sitting government that it doesn't read so much as good news, as it serves to remind them who cut the service in the first place.

Last edited:
Via the Globe and Mail. Ford did a campaign announcement in Bowmanville today. Not sure this capital number has been specified before or recently for the option they are going with?

The Ontario Progressive Conservatives are touting a promise to extend GO train service in Durham Region with four new stations.

PC Leader Doug Ford says it will help families save time and money.

The Tories say they’d invest $730 million to bring two-way, all-day 15-minute GO train service to Bowmanville, Ont.

The four new stations east of Oshawa, Ont., are set for Thornton’s Corners East, Ritson Road, Courtice and Bowmanville.

Ford is connecting the plan to other transportation promises that he says will save people time and money, including Highway 413 and the Bradford Bypass, as well as removing tolls on Highways 412 and 418.

The Liberals say party leader Steven Del Duca first approved the GO train expansion to Bowmanville when he was transportation minister in 2016 in the previous Liberal government and the Tories delayed it.

Via the Globe and Mail. Ford did a campaign announcement in Bowmanville today. Not sure this capital number has been specified before or recently for the option they are going with?

The Ontario Progressive Conservatives are touting a promise to extend GO train service in Durham Region with four new stations.

PC Leader Doug Ford says it will help families save time and money.

The Tories say they’d invest $730 million to bring two-way, all-day 15-minute GO train service to Bowmanville, Ont.

The four new stations east of Oshawa, Ont., are set for Thornton’s Corners East, Ritson Road, Courtice and Bowmanville.

Ford is connecting the plan to other transportation promises that he says will save people time and money, including Highway 413 and the Bradford Bypass, as well as removing tolls on Highways 412 and 418.

The Liberals say party leader Steven Del Duca first approved the GO train expansion to Bowmanville when he was transportation minister in 2016 in the previous Liberal government and the Tories delayed it.

Back