News   Mar 28, 2024
 373     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 277     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 310     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

As for the Hwy 413 comment, his party did plenty of their own highway projects like the 407 East extension. Where was all the concern for the environment when they did that?
The local communities supported the 407 extension. Also, it was planned from day one, and the dead-end in Pickering was very problematic.

413 is very different - there are 3 other east-west highways already - and only one to the east. It's not supported by the municipality. And it doesn't fix a dead-end like problem.

I'm sure extending either extending 427 to Bolton, or 410, would not have the same issue.

Last edited:
This guy couldn't even deliver on his own promise of all-day service to Kitchener. His words are not worth the toilet paper it's printed on.

As for the Hwy 413 comment, his party did plenty of their own highway projects like the 407 East extension. Where was all the concern for the environment when they did that?

It's been awhile since the various promises were discussed here. I do remember that there was a service expansion in August 2015 on a portion of the Kitchener Line when Del Duca was minister. Is there a specific promise you're recalling? I seem to recall that he seemed to be fairly careful to note expansion required negotiations with CN Rail, and this was noted in one of the provincial budgets. Maybe the 2016 or 2017 one I would have to double check. His predecessor may not have been as careful.

Last edited:
This seems a bit old as news goes, and so may well have been posted already, but I couldn't turn it up with search............

Tender is out for the 4th track in the K-W corridor from Lansdowne to Black Creek:

1636399965068.png

1636400011050.png

Issued: Oct 6th

Closes: Dec 17th

You don't know that 1/2 of it; there's likely to be a Tim Horton's kiosk at every stop that opens after the station, justifying a second ribbon cutting!
Del Duca would totally attend a ribbon cutting for a the installation of the raised warning tiles at every single station if he was Transport Minister.

The local communities supported the 407 extension. Also, it was planned from day one, and the dead-end in Pickering was very problematic.

413 is very different - there are 3 other east-west highways already - and only one to the east. It's not supported by the community. And it doesn't fix a dead-end like problem.

I'm sure extending either extending 427 to Bolton, or 410, would not have the same issue.
"Not supported by the community"?

Random environmentalists on Twitter do not represent the community unfortunately - most of the people living in Caledon and in the area unfortunately do strongly support the highway (notice how most of the municipalities that denounced the highway are nowhere near the highway).

Random environmentalists on Twitter do not represent the community unfortunately - most of the people living in Caledon and in the area unfortunately do strongly support the highway (notice how most of the municipalities that denounced the highway are nowhere near the highway).
Like Caledon, Brampton, and Vaughan, who oppose the highway and are nowhere near (that was sarcasm) the highway?

The GTA West will have regional impacts. Just like we take the considerations of all parts of the city when deciding where to build transit, and not just the immediate communities, we do the same with highway projects.

Like Caledon, Brampton, and Vaughan, who oppose the highway and are nowhere near (that was sarcasm) the highway?

The GTA West will have regional impacts. Just like we take the considerations of all parts of the city when deciding where to build transit, and not just the immediate communities, we do the same with highway projects.
Caledon and Brampton oppose the highway? News to me.

As for Vaughan, they're the exception and is the reason why I said "most of the municipalities". However it should also be noted that the vote in Vaughan was split, like 5 oppose vs 4 for, so its nowhere near unanimous.

As for Vaughan, they're the exception and is the reason why I said "most of the municipalities". However it should also be noted that the vote in Vaughan was split, like 5 oppose vs 4 for, so its nowhere near unanimous.
Likely mostly the (Progressive) Conservatives may support Highway 413.

I'm in a subdivision near the highway and almost everyone here supports and wants the highway

Brampton's pushing for their own plan ... it's worse (if that's possible), but they still oppose the highway in its current state.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...g-fords-fast-tracking-of-new-gta-highway.html
https://thepointer.com/article/2021...ay-despite-efforts-of-brampton-caledon-mayors
https://www.trucknews.com/features/bramptons-way-or-the-gta-west-highway/

Caledon is asking for the federal review of the highway:
https://www.caledon.ca/en/news/caledon-requests-further-study-of-gta-west-corridor.aspx

Do you think this highway will have regional effects? Absolutely.

Will it spend taxpayer money from all of us (not a reason to not build it, but we should be able to ask about the cost/benefit compared to other projects)? Yes.

Do you think that transit projects should only consult the neighborhoods immediately next to it, and discard all other opinions? I don't think you think that.

Last edited:

By that I meant municipalities. In particular Mississauga, Vaughan, Halton Hills, Peel, and Brampton ... and no municipality is more served by this than Brampton and Vaughan. Despite that part of Caledon being almost entirely in a rural area, Caledon does support it - but that's about development more than anything else.

I'm not sure why you are trying to imply that there is municipal support in the area, when most municipalities around the highway oppose it.

Brampton's pushing for their own plan ... it's worse (if that's possible), but they still oppose the highway in its current state.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...g-fords-fast-tracking-of-new-gta-highway.html
https://thepointer.com/article/2021...ay-despite-efforts-of-brampton-caledon-mayors
https://www.trucknews.com/features/bramptons-way-or-the-gta-west-highway/

Caledon is asking for the federal review of the highway:
https://www.caledon.ca/en/news/caledon-requests-further-study-of-gta-west-corridor.aspx

Do you think this highway will have regional effects? Absolutely.

Will it spend taxpayer money from all of us (not a reason to not build it, but we should be able to ask about the cost/benefit compared to other projects)? Yes.

Do you think that transit projects should only consult the neighborhoods immediately next to it, and discard all other opinions? I don't think you think that.

Brampton doesn't want a standard grade-separated highway, and some local politicians are against it altogether. The surface boulevard option is pretty bad, though it is technically a "complete street" -- part of me wants to say "kudos for doing something outside the box" while another part of me wants to scream at whoever dreamed that up.

The "goods movement" corridors like Steeles Avenue -- a regional road -- are in the way of urbanization plans, like at Hurontario and Steeles. Nobody really wants to walk along a narrow sidewalk or sit on a patio next to a seven lane road with an increasing amount truck traffic. There were very few trucks on Steeles west of Kennedy Road until the two Amazon depots and other warehouses moved into the Churchill Meadows area, but with the 407 being as expensive as it is, the truck traffic between the intermodal yards and Amazon et al. use Steeles through residential areas, and the region is okay with that.

Live by the logistics industry, die by the logistics industry.

Back