News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 754     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

It is called GO Transit (Government of Ontario Transit) not GTAH Transit.
GO Transit is simply Metrolinx's branding of rail/bus services. Metrolinx is governed by the Metrolinx Act, 2006, which explicitly states that it provides service for:

(i) the City of Toronto,
(ii) the City of Hamilton,
(iii) the Regional Municipality of Durham,
(iv) the Regional Municipality of Halton,
(v) the Regional Municipality of Peel,
(vi) the Regional Municipality of York,
(vii) the Regional Municipality of Niagara,
(viii) Haldimand County,
(ix) the County of Brant,
(x) the City of Brantford
(xi) the Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
(xii) the County of Wellington,
(xiii) the City of Guelph,
(xiv) the County of Dufferin,
(xv) the County of Simcoe,
(xvi) the City of Barrie,
(xvii) the City of Orillia,
(xviii) the City of Kawartha Lakes,
(xix) the County of Peterborough,
(xx) the City of Peterborough, and
(xxi) the County of Northumberland, and
(b) any additional prescribed areas

I'm all in favour of expanding public service province-wide. But pretending that GO Transit was never intended to provide service to places like London.

Apologies if someone has already noted this, but I just noticed that the diagram on Metrolinx's Southwestern Ontario GO Train page shows the trains running non-stop from Union to Bramalea.

London-North-Corridor-Map-Stations-202108.png

This is a relief since it means that the trains will slightly less painfully slow than they otherwise could have been.

Based on this clue, I'm guessing that they will extend the last AM express train and first PM express train. There are two ways they could go about this:

Option A: extend existing trips
Knipsel.JPG

a.jpg

Option B: New express trips
b.jpg

c.jpg

Although they may initially do option A (existing trips), I think they would eventually need to switch to option B (new trips), at least in the PM, because I don't think the 6-car London trains could handle the passenger demand from a 16:19 express departure from Union once ridership starts returning to normal.

Apologies if someone has already noted this, but I just noticed that the diagram on Metrolinx's Southwestern Ontario GO Train page shows the trains running non-stop from Union to Bramalea.

This is a relief since it means that the trains will slightly less painfully slow than they otherwise could have been.

Based on this clue, I'm guessing that they will extend the last AM express train and first PM express train. There are two ways they could go about this:

View attachment 351645
View attachment 351646

View attachment 351647
View attachment 351650

Although they may initially do option A (existing trips), I think they would eventually need to switch to option B (new trips), at least in the PM, because I don't think the 6-car London trains could handle the passenger demand from a 16:19 express departure from Union once ridership starts returning to normal.
Given that CTV news reported an arrival time of 9.15 am and a departure time of 16:19 (refer to my post #16,684), I think it's pretty obvious which option they are pursuing and how the London trips will fit into the existing schedule...

Given that CTV news reported an arrival time of 9.15 am and a departure time of 16:19 (refer to my post #16,684), I think it's pretty obvious which option they are pursuing and how the London trips will fit into the existing schedule...
Well my apoplogies then, I had missed that post. I must say that is a particularly stupid schedule, since it is timed for people working in downtown Toronto rather than Kitchener or Guelph which are close enough to London/StM/Stratford that someone might actually commute on such a slow train.

b.jpg

a.jpg

I don't get why they scheduled so much time between Kitchener and London. GO seems to have scheduled 2h12, while VIA runs the same stopping pattern in 1h51.

Last edited:
Well my apoplogies then, I had missed that post. I must say that is a particularly stupid schedule, since it is timed for people working in downtown Toronto rather than Kitchener or Guelph.
It's almost impossible not to miss a post with almost 17,000 posts in this thread and I have to admit that I was also expecting timings closer to what you propose, given that it seems difficult to imagine anyone commuting all the way from London to Toronto with these new services, given that VIA's now-restored #82/83 offer an alternative which takes just over half the travel time...

Last edited:
Well my apoplogies then, I had missed that post. I must say that is a particularly stupid schedule, since it is timed for people working in downtown Toronto rather than Kitchener or Guelph which are close enough to London/StM/Stratford that someone might actually commute on such a slow train.

View attachment 351652
View attachment 351651

I don't get why they scheduled so much time between Kitchener and London. GO seems to have scheduled 2h12, while VIA runs the same stopping pattern in 1h51.
The VIA train doesn't get to Kitchener until 9:16, and then you need to get to the office so you will be late if you start at 9. At least it get you to Union close to 9am, so if you want to commute from St Mary's to Bramelea you can. They will take that feedback and then decide how to adjust the schedule.

The VIA train doesn't get to Kitchener until 9:16, and then you need to get to the office so you will be late if you start at 9. At least it get you to Union close to 9am, so if you want to commute from St Mary's to Bramelea you can. They will take that feedback and then decide how to adjust the schedule.
Yes of course, but 7:30 is unnecessarily early for a commuter train to arrive in Kitchener, especially given that that means departing London at 5:20, which is insanely early. London Transit bus service doesn't start running until 6 AM. The press release claims that the train helps students accessing the University of Waterloo and Wilfred Laurier University, so does the Province think they will leave a car parked at London Station for a week while they attend classes?

It would have made more sense to extend the trip a half hour later, arriving in Kitchener at 8:00.

Last edited:
Yes of course, but 7:30 is unnecessarily early for a commuter train to arrive in Kitchener, especially given that that means departing London at 5:20, which is insanely early. London Transit bus service doesn't start running until 6 AM. It would have made more sense to extend the trip a half hour later, arriving in Kitchener at 8:00.
I think it has to do with track slots. And that train needs to be in Toronto by 9:16.

I think it has to do with track slots. And that train needs to be in Toronto by 9:16.
The first westbound train arrives Kitchener at 11:28. Therefore, all morning trains originating from Kitchener come straight from layover and the only timetable constraint in deciding which train(s) to extend back to London appears to be the presence of train 84...

View attachment 351645
View attachment 351646

View attachment 351647
View attachment 351650

Looks like GO is heading one step closer to replicating their proposed GO RER service express services.

How many days a year is the Stratford Festival? How many days a year do office workers commute?

We have to go back to 2019 to see how the Festival might run in a typical year......now, best as I can tell that was their longest season ever, it ran mid-April the end of October/first week of November.

Since Stratford typically runs performances six days per week, that would be upwards of 170 performance days, that compares to 260 weekdays, - 10 or so for Stat. Holidays or about 250 commute days.

So, there certainly are more commute days; but Stratford is a potentially lucrative source of traffic for the right transportation provider. Running 3-4 theatres, close to 5,000 people on peak traffic days.

Whether GO is the right provider is a different question.

Last edited:

Back