News   Apr 25, 2024
 239     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 784     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 805     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The March 2, 2020 start date also doesn't make sense since the next set of schedule changes won't take place until April 4th. It seems like someone just photoshopped this schedule:

If you look at this higher resolution image from reddit, you can see that some text (such as the year 2020) isn't aligned properly:

Additionally, the title page only shows the route ending at Niagara Falls. It also only shows three branches of route 12.

I don't believe this. This replicates several Niagara Region Transit routes. There's no park and ride in Downtown Welland or Downtown Port Colborne.

The most I could see is a branch to Brock University.

People reached out to him on the Facebook post and he has yet to provide a source. I think he’s trolling us!

Speaking of Niagara...
This article indicates that the Grimsby Subdivision will be doubled tracked.

From the above, 11 trains daily, 6 to Toronto, 5 return. ( I imagine that requires an out-of-service, deadhead run to Niagara at some point each day).

Confederation GO station to go to tender this spring.

Reduction in travel time of 15 to 45 minute over current train/bus services.

People reached out to him on the Facebook post and he has yet to provide a source. I think he’s trolling us!

Apologies everyone if left the impression it came from Metrolinx. In looking at it again I think the person created it as a fantasy map but didn't indicate that. Just glad I at least include "from Facebook".

A freight train derailment west of Toronto is causing disruptions for commuter trains into the city this morning.

GO Transit says several trains on its Lakeshore West line heading to Union Station are affected.

It says a train scheduled to leave from West Harbour station in Hamilton has been cancelled, while passengers trying to catch a train from Aldershot or Appleby stations in Burlington, Ont., will now have to get on at the Burlington or Oakville stations.

https://www.cp24.com/news/freight-t...-commuter-trains-heading-to-toronto-1.4816627

Soooo.

Maybe I'm being unfair.............someone will surely tell me if that's so.

I mentioned that I tweeted the seemingly odd schedule for Niagara w/the new services to AMA.

She replied with this........

1582041670188.png

Am I wrong in thinking that someone whose career is PR should have noticed the presence of bus routes, that don't currently exist, on the original 'map' which I tweeted?

That if she wasn't sure what was different, maybe she should have sent a DM?

Meh, I have made clear what the issue is, and await a further response.

Soooo.

Maybe I'm being unfair.............someone will surely tell me if that's so.

I mentioned that I tweeted the seemingly odd schedule for Niagara w/the new services to AMA.

She replied with this........

View attachment 231698

Am I wrong in thinking that someone whose career is PR should have noticed the presence of bus routes, that don't currently exist, on the original 'map' which I tweeted?

That if she wasn't sure what was different, maybe she should have sent a DM?

Meh, I have made clear what the issue is, and await a further response.
AMA isn't really known for her competence.

Social media has turned the communications field on its head time-wise as well as brevity wise.

I wouldn’t expect the Spokesperson to notice fine detail of that sort. They would probably know if a service change is planned, but they would have to check with the Service Planners to clarify the scoop. The people involved may not be at their desks in the moment. There would no doubt have been fear that the wrong version had been posted, or the material on the ‘pre-release proofing’ server had been accidentally promoted to the “public” server, etc etc. We don’t know how many media queries the spokesperson might have had on her plate in the last day over, oh, construction delays?

A chap I know was responsible for writing the code for a broadcasted event where tweets were to be collected and presented “live” on screen with commentators building these into their coverage. The tweets had to be vetted by various people before presentation, to keep offensive material from appearing etc. The review times were phenomenally short....iirc the network’s lawyers and producers each got something like 7 seconds to ‘yea or nay’ each incoming tweet. Otherwise the tweets were too stale to align to the commentary.

I don’t like to see people take personal shots at communications people. I have no respect for how ML handles communications, but that’s the corporate attitude towards keeping us informed, it’s nothing to do with the individual. You got a pretty timely response, and that’s certainly professionalism at work.

- Paul

Social media has turned the communications field on its head time-wise as well as brevity wise.

I wouldn’t expect the Spokesperson to notice fine detail of that sort. They would probably know if a service change is planned, but they would have to check with the Service Planners to clarify the scoop. The people involved may not be at their desks in the moment. There would no doubt have been fear that the wrong version had been posted, or the material on the ‘pre-release proofing’ server had been accidentally promoted to the “public” server, etc etc. We don’t know how many media queries the spokesperson might have had on her plate in the last day over, oh, construction delays?

A chap I know was responsible for writing the code for a broadcasted event where tweets were to be collected and presented “live” on screen with commentators building these into their coverage. The tweets had to be vetted by various people before presentation, to keep offensive material from appearing etc. The review times were phenomenally short....iirc the network’s lawyers and producers each got something like 7 seconds to ‘yea or nay’ each incoming tweet. Otherwise the tweets were too stale to align to the commentary.

I don’t like to see people take personal shots at communications people. I have no respect for how ML handles communications, but that’s the corporate attitude towards keeping us informed, it’s nothing to do with the individual. You got a pretty timely response, and that’s certainly professionalism at work.

- Paul

Fair enough, as a take.

It should be said, I've only made my comment here, and I did phrase it as a question about my perceptions; I think in a polite enough tone.

I must confess, I think your expectations level isn't particularly high.

But I suppose I'm spoiled by the fact I have an array of good contacts in government and here; and am used to a higher degree of accuracy and detail-orientation.

- Paul
AMA should stop posting Metrolinx related info from her personal Twitter account. Or rather, stop posting personal stuff from her Twitter account. What bugs me is that she mixes both and I could care less what wine was she drinking over the weekend, or the mood of her relatives.

AMA should stop posting Metrolinx related info from her personal Twitter account. Or rather, stop posting personal stuff from her Twitter account. What bugs me is that she mixes both and I could care less what wine was she drinking over the weekend, or the mood of her relatives.

Yes but I enjoy the personality aspect of it. As long as she does not take us through a live stream of one of her grandkids births we should be good.

Yes but I enjoy the personality aspect of it. As long as she does not take us through a live stream of one of her grandkids births we should be good.

Well, that’s my beef with ML, but don’t confuse it with the person. I am not interested with a cutesy reporting of raccoon sightings on GO trains, but clearly the corporate communication strategy is, “keep up a patter of cheerful trivialities, and if they ask a tough question, add two sentences of corporate speak, but don’t ever speak truth”. I’m sure ML brass read every word that is put out, and they approve of that slant as the face of Metrolinx. If they didn’t, it would be stopped forthwith.

Don’t assume that the named person is writing those tweets either. The chief spokesperson may approve them, but the drafts may come from staffers.

I really respected Brad Ross for his curt “I’m not going to answer that”. It was frustrating, but it was unvarnished truth exchanged as between adults.

- Paul

Last edited:

Back