News   Apr 19, 2024
 105     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 440     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 651     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

With this scheme, Brampton will truly be "Transfer City" -- want to go to Union Station? Take this bus through the heavy Steeles Avenue traffic, spend 5 minutes transferring to a shuttle train, with another transfer to yet another shuttle train. Or get a car!

Bonkers.
I'm usually travelling with a bike, so why would I want to take a car? It's usually after doing 50 km + cycling, I've missed the last GO Train south from Mt Pleasant late afternoon and I want to get to Bloor.

Alternative is to take a Zum to Square One from Brampton, then MiWay Express to Islington, then subway to here, or stay on the 3X to Union (some terminate at Brampton) then UPX back north again to Bloor West.

Hobson's Choice...do you know a better way? The option you detest would do me just fine. And others would too given the alternatives to get to Weston or Bloor. For some odd reason, not everyone wants to go to Union Station by bus and then back half way through the city again.

Or I could get to Pearson Airport from Brampton and pay the full UPX fare to get to Bloor West....which when I think about, I'll probably do next time. It's such a freakin' hassle to do the only other ways I'm aware of, and have done the 3X down to Union too many times. It takes forever.

There's the option of going from Brampton to York Uni or Yorkdale, taking the subway down, then taking B-D back west to get to Bloor West. GO doesn't make it simple.

Or GO providing a train down from either Brampton (which they claim can't be done on a half hourly schedule, correct me if wrong due to CN movements) or Bramalea (which can be done on a fifteen minute headway, but half an hour would be fine) to Weston and then transferring to UPX south one stop from there.

Last edited:
With this scheme, Brampton will truly be "Transfer City" -- want to go to Union Station? Take this bus through the heavy Steeles Avenue traffic, spend 5 minutes transferring to a shuttle train, with another transfer to yet another shuttle train. Or get a car!

Bonkers.
One way to look at it.....

....alternative, " going to Toronto this Saturday? You no longer have to drive to Weston or Long Branch or Port Credit to catch a train......just get on over to Bramalea, get on the GO and after a quick train change at Weston you'll be at Toronto's Union Station in no time."

From Chris Drew on Twitter.

DBRgRUEXkAMWYIT.jpg

DBRgR_lXoAAuNai.jpg

DBRgSiZXUAA9ueM.jpg

^So KW line west of Bramalea has now changed from the previous promises in ReR to "under development"?

Last edited:
they didn't have a deal with CN/CP when they made the previous service commitment....so I am not sure what has changed.
Engineering planning on how to get CN operating the north side of the corridor east of Silver Junction resulted in a cost too high to bear?

On the bright side, maybe this means they have solved whatever CN objection was keeping night/weekend trains out of the Platform 4 tail track at Bramalea......

- Paul

Unless GO builds their own 4th track, ownership could still be an issue because GO doesn't actually own the last few metres leading up to Bramalea. If you check the Railway Association of Canada Atlas you can see for yourself.

Unless GO builds their own 4th track, ownership could still be an issue because GO doesn't actually own the last few metres leading up to Bramalea. If you check the Railway Association of Canada Atlas you can see for yourself.

Interesting site - first time I had seen it. Remarkably detailed, although I see the new trackage at West Harbour isn't shown. (I'm told, but haven't looked for myself, that the new GO yard at Lewis Rd is now in use, btw)

It's quite common that when lines are divested, the last mile or so at each end is retained by CN or CP. I guess that prevents the shortline from making any nefarious changes to routings etc. which might adversely affect the former owner. It seems unlikely that CN would use that stretch of Weston Sub as a 'tollgate' for GO. As I understand it, all CN's recalcitrance relates to use of its actual mainline tracks where there is active freight operation, as opposed to 'technical' ownership. That's leverage enough in this case.

- Paul

Minor service issue at Oshawa Go Station...lack of ability to buy food...given there is nothing at all close to the station (maybe 1km to the nearest food), it's super frustrating to show up after biking on the weekend only to find that the kiosk that is open on weekdays is closed on the weekend, the vending machines only take coins, there is no bank machine...and most annoyingly the ticket booth guy can't give cash back...if you took a bus or a taxi you are in the same situation...drink out of the sink in the bathroom....

As an end-point for numerous travel methods and given that people are waiting sometimes for 30 minutes....making sure they had some kind of food options would be nice...

Minor service issue at Oshawa Go Station...lack of ability to buy food...given there is nothing at all close to the station (maybe 1km to the nearest food)
Oshawa is one of the stations to get the trial Tim Hortons trailer. Unknown what the hours of operation will be though.

Back