News   May 23, 2024
 235     0 
News   May 23, 2024
 454     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 1.1K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

After they have invested hundreds of millions in track and signalling for the peak period, running trains in off peak is pretty cheap. It may take a few years to build ridership to a solid level, but the amount spent in underutilized trains isn't bone crushing. It would be a bigger waste of money to invest in the lines and then leave them idle off peak.

- Paul
they would never invest over a $1B in a corridor and then not run full service!....oh, wait. ;)

Not sure if this has been posted before or not but GO/MX has finalized its purchase of the Canpa Sub & Obico Yard. Starting from today from now on CP will drop off the new coaches in Obico yard and an GO equipment train will pick them up from there and take them back to Willowbrook once a week(thursday nights for the foamers out there who want to watch). This will save 3-5 days in delivery time.

Not sure if this has been posted before or not but GO/MX has finalized its purchase of the Canpa Sub & Obico Yard. Starting from today from now on CP will drop off the new coaches in Obico yard and an GO equipment train will pick them up from there and take them back to Willowbrook once a week(thursday nights for the foamers out there who want to watch). This will save 3-5 days in delivery time.

Geographically it looks abou twice the size of TTC's Wilson yard. Shouldn't be any problems storing new 7-car 500ft fixed Rocket Mark II consists when they hit BD er, Line 2.

Presumably CP retains running rights to serve the (currently two) freight customers on the Canpa ?

- Paul

Presumably CP retains running rights to serve the (currently two) freight customers on the Canpa ?

Yes absolutely, additionally the subdivision will still be dispatched by CP and with CP rules in effect.

On that note word is that after a 3 year long process GO/MX have apparently received their certificate of fitness to become a federally regulated railroad. Once GO's new operation center is build they can finally take over the dispatching of trains on their own territory. Boy will that ever be the day and a long time coming too.

Are you sure that Obico Yard was included in the purchase?

My understanding was that Hydro One had the right of first refusal on any sales of the property, as they were the original owners.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Since the announcement is somewhat lacking in detail...

There will be three trips from Allandale Waterfront heading southbound, leaving at 9.03, 9.47 and 11.02am. There are also 7 trips southbound from Aurora GO at 1.03, 14.18, 15.33, 16.48, 18.03 19.18 and 20.33pm.

Trips northbound from Union heading to Allandale Waterfront leave at 16.28, 21.50 and 22.50pm, with trips to Aurora leaving at 11.28am, 12.43, 13.58, 15.13, 17.43 and 18.58pm. Yes, there are currently scheduled to be an uneven number of trips northbound and southbound.

At some point in the spring the additional second track is supposed to be completed - at that point, the service may be improved to hourly throughout the day.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thanks for the details!

Here's my best guess at interpolating the schedule based on those numbers. Train meets are shown in bold, and as expected they all occur at the Maple-King siding.
BarrieW2017.JPG

It looks like there's a northbound deadhead around 16:40 that isn't any of the trains that originated in Barrie in the morning. I wonder where it comes from and what length consist it will have. Maybe they could have run it in service and made the 16:28 NB an express. But then again, the enormous layovers suggest that this is only a very temporary schedule until the Rutherford siding is completed and a much more efficient schedule is introduced. So I guess I should reserve judgement until then.

Interestingly, the 46-minute layover is long enough that service could have continued on to Newmarket while still maintaining a generous 34-minute layover there (or a 26-minute layover at East Gwillimbury). This was presumably not done since the service would need to be cut back to Aurora to implement the 60-minute schedule using the York-Rutherford siding. But I wonder if it might actually be preferable to have 75-minute service to Newmarket rather than 60-minute service to Aurora.

Attachments

• BarrieW2017.JPG
    BarrieW2017.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,393
Last edited:

All of the proposed Kitchener Line stations label the 4 tracks as 2 UP Express and 2 Kitchener Line, with the platforms only accessing the Kitchener Line pair. This is very concerning because it would widen the speed differential between the fastest and slowest services on that pair of tracks, reducing capacity and reliability.

So based on these plans, we would have big lumbering loco-hauled GO Trains stopping every couple kilometres on their 100 km trip to Kitchener (or stuck behind other trains that stop), while small quick-accelerating UP Express EMUs pass through those stations without stopping on their 25 km trip to the airport.

Here is the current ranking of the corridor's services by average speed
1. VIA
2. GO Express
3. UP Express
4. GO Local

Rather than having an "UP" pair (medium speed) and a "GO" pair (high speed and low speed), we should have an "fast" pair and a "slow" pair. And because the fastest services will all be continuing straight at Pearson Junction, the "fast" pair should be on the east, while the local pair is on the west.

Instead of operating UP Express as a quasi-express service that's still much slower than VIA or GO express trains, I think it makes more sense to combine the airport service with the planned Bramalea EMU service to form a metro-like local service at an interleaved 8 trains per hour on the western pair of tracks, while the eastern pair of tracks carries the intercity, regional and commuter express services free from interference from slow local trains.
KitchenerNewStations.JPG

Attachments

• KitchenerNewStations.JPG
    KitchenerNewStations.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
All of the proposed Kitchener Line stations label the 4 tracks as 2 UP Express and 2 Kitchener Line, with the platforms only accessing the Kitchener Line pair. This is very concerning because it would widen the speed differential between the fastest and slowest services on that pair of tracks, reducing capacity and reliability.

So based on these plans, we would have big lumbering loco-hauled GO Trains stopping every couple kilometres on their 100 km trip to Kitchener (or stuck behind other trains that stop), while small quick-accelerating UP Express EMUs pass through those stations without stopping on their 25 km trip to the airport.

Here is the current ranking of the corridor's services by average speed
1. VIA
2. GO Express
3. UP Express
4. GO Local

Rather than having an "UP" pair (medium speed) and a "GO" pair (high speed and low speed), we should have an "fast" pair and a "slow" pair. And because the fastest services will all be continuing straight at Pearson Junction, the "fast" pair should be on the east, while the local pair is on the west.

Instead of operating UP Express as a quasi-express service that's still much slower than VIA or GO express trains, I think it makes more sense to combine the airport service with the planned Bramalea EMU service to form a metro-like local service at an interleaved 8 trains per hour on the western pair of tracks, while the eastern pair of tracks carries the intercity, regional and commuter express services free from interference from slow local trains.
View attachment 93825

Metrolinx will not be having the big diesel locomotives stopping at the new RER stops, whoever told you that is misinformed. They won't even fit as the platforms won't be long enough for 12-car bi-levels.

They also won't be stopping behind any RER trains.

Thanks for the details!

Here's my best guess at interpolating the schedule based on those numbers. Train meets are shown in bold, and as expected they all occur at the Maple-King siding.
View attachment 93823
It looks like there's a northbound deadhead around 16:40 that isn't any of the trains that originated in Barrie in the morning. I wonder where it comes from and what length consist it will have. Maybe they could have run it in service and made the 16:28 NB an express. But then again, the enormous layovers suggest that this is only a very temporary schedule until the Rutherford siding is completed and a much more efficient schedule is introduced. So I guess I should reserve judgement until then.

Interestingly, the 46-minute layover is long enough that service could have continued on to Newmarket while still maintaining a generous 34-minute layover there (or a 26-minute layover at East Gwillimbury). This was presumably not done since the service would need to be cut back to Aurora to implement the 60-minute schedule using the York-Rutherford siding. But I wonder if it might actually be preferable to have 75-minute service to Newmarket rather than 60-minute service to Aurora.
I thought Aurora was getting 15 min service and Newmarket was getting 60 min later on?
RER_Barrie_Off-Peak_EN-850x1153.jpg

60 min frequency to Newmarket can be done in april imo. 30 min service is where the problems begin as they can't move Newmarket station or fit a new track there. I thought that was why Mulock was being built, to bring RER to Newmarket.

After spending all that money to put a Rapidway on Davis Drive, bringing RER to Mulock Drive instead of to the current station is a mistake.

Completely idiotic. So we have a VIVA Rapidway that connects to the current Newmarket GO Station, we have the local York Region Transit Hub / GO Bus Terminal over by Upper Canada Mall, and now they think they should stop 15-min RER to Mulock Drive. Brilliant job.

I don't oppose a station at Mulock, but the current station is the high-value station. It is situated right beside the Regional Hospital, connected to Newmarket's growth corridor of Davis Drive, which has much more growth potential than Mulock Drive, and it is near Old Downtown.

Where exactly will this station go? On the south side, there is an Ecological Park, and on the other side is a factory that makes armored vehicles. On the north side, there is a transformer station, the current Town Hall, and a staircase manufacturer. Both of those factories employee 50 - 100 people, so I imagine that forcing them to move will come at a pretty penny.

Last edited:

Back