News   May 13, 2024
 285     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 683     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 665     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

What do they do through Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, Pickering, Oshawa, Whitby, etc etc etc etc

In scanning the article I think the major difference is that the whistling is mandated at at-grade crossings where there are no crossing arms, etc. So the answer is to alter the crossings, install crossing arms or remove the at-grade crossing, not silencing the trains.

In scanning the article I think the major difference is that the whistling is mandated at at-grade crossings where there are no crossing arms, etc. So the answer is to alter the crossings, install crossing arms or remove the at-grade crossing, not silencing the trains.

The problem is that the article is factually incorrect in that one comment. All level crossings, regardless of the amount of equipment installed at them, require the train to whistle when approaching them.

There is a process by which the municipality can ask to eliminate this requirement, but one of the steps is to pay for upgrading the safety equipment at the crossings. Markham has been (apparently) working on this for several years, but I don't think that they've actually formally applied to have the requirement eliminated at the crossings within its borders.

Dan

'It's just unbearable': Markham residents blow the whistle on noisy GO train horns

City has launched an anti-whistling program and is working with Metrolinx, Transport Canada
As a courtesy, would it be possible to post the full link please -- for all excerpts from now on?

Although you mentioned CBC, UrbanToronto etiquette is to post the full link whenever posting news excerpts.

I've been warned on occasion by a moderator when I forget to add credit (usually when I posted a news photo that is not mine & forgot to add credit to the original site)

What do they do through Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, Pickering, Oshawa, Whitby, etc etc etc etc

There are way less at-grade crossings along those lines.

Barrie and Stouffville lines are and never were mainlines, and so they have tons of at-grade crossings.

Barrie and Stouffville lines are and never were mainlines, and so they have tons of at-grade crossings.

They were also up until recently very much rural. I recall the days where you would go to the Stouffville Flea Market and the Markham Fair and they were in the boonies.

It depends on how far back you go. Stouffville was part of an fairly extensive network serving Lindsay, Peterborough, Victoria, Haliburton, etc. The Barrie line, later in life, was CN's second mainline to the west. The Canadian ran on it until the late 80s/early 90s. At-grade crossings are more a function of population and traffic density (and sometimes grade considerations). The current Class 1 carrier's mainline have loads of at-grade crossings.

Mississauga: depends on where it is. They applied for, and received, permission to eliminate whistle blowing at the 7 crossings of the Oakville Sub many years ago. And while Mississauga has been trying to do that to as many level crossings as they can - particularly in residential areas - they haven't gotten them all yet.

Oakville: Had received permission to eliminate whistle blowing on their 5 level crossings of the Oakville Sub several years ago (and Burloak was done in concert with Burlington). They've also done that with all of the crossings on the Halton Sub within their borders.

Burlington: The only level crossing on the Oakville Sub is at Burloak. There are also a couple of level crossings on the Halton Sub, and the one furthest south - Mainway Dr. - has had the whistle blowing requirement eliminated. Burlington also seems to have an active program to grade separate its level crossings, with several being done in the past decade or two.

Pickering: Has only one level crossing on the Kingston Sub, Rodd Ave. Whistle blowing has been eliminated at this crossing for several years. There is one additional crossing on the CN York Sub, but it's in a rural area, and whistles have not been eliminated there. I don't have any information on the CP lines, unfortunately.

Oshawa: None of the crossings of the Kingston Sub in Oshawa have had their whistle blowing eliminated.

Whitby has no level crossings of the Kingston Sub, and I don't have information on the CP line.

Dan

Burlington only has a single urban at grade crossing remaining, It's probably the most "grade separated" municipality in the GTA. Impressive considering the significant amount of rail lines within its borders.

This is for the GO Train lines
In Brampton there are no horns for the halton sub and I believe there are only 7 level crossings left. Scaboro, Torbram(grade separation almost complete),John Street, Mill street, Mississauga Road, Heritage Road, and Winston Churchill. Almost all the Level crossings after Georgetown to Kitchener are horn protected.
Pickering to Oshawa is all grade separated now.
The Barrie Line actually has horns within the City of Toronto. (Carl Hall Road) and The york university transitway
I've only been as far as Lisgar on the Milton line, but its all no-horn
Oakville has no horns and so does Burlington, I believe there is horns past West Harbour towards Niagara Falls.

You gotta get to the terminal first ;-) At least the planes move (sorta, we sat on the tarmac on arrival for close to an hour before a gate was available). The cars just creep.
This place would seriously benefit from a people mover and remote kiss+ride. A good inspiration for Pearson, but I’m in the wring thread for that.

- Paul
One of my biggest pet peeves when I worked at Pearson and now that I frequently fly is how folks bring their whole damn extended family to the airport. Say goodbye and hello at home, have one person pick you up and take you to the airport. It’ll be less busy for the rest of us.

One of my biggest pet peeves when I worked at Pearson and now that I frequently fly is how folks bring their whole damn extended family to the airport. Say goodbye and hello at home, have one person pick you up and take you to the airport. It’ll be less busy for the rest of us.
Or take the train and avoid having to deal with families?

Most people don't fly often, and a lot of people may be leaving for extended periods of time (ie years or more). Sometimes those extra few minutes with family and friends are worth it.

Or take the train and avoid having to deal with families?

Most people don't fly often, and a lot of people may be leaving for extended periods of time (ie years or more). Sometimes those extra few minutes with family and friends are worth it.
I love my family, but I always go the airport solo, and if it’s after lunch you’ll find me at the bar having a pre-flight martini. And make that a gin martini, can’t stand the vodka variety.

Urgent track repairs? Something broke as the train was approaching?

Back