News   Nov 12, 2019
 1.3K     10 
News   Nov 12, 2019
 912     4 
News   Nov 12, 2019
 1.3K     4 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

doady

Member Bio
Reaction score
Milton, Oakville, and Burlington Transit should have merged years ago. Even without merging systems they can do more to integrate.

Milton to Sheridan is about the same distance as Bramalea City Centre to Dixie transitway station, served by 185 Dixie Express (currently temporarily operated partly by Brampton Transit due to MiWay's bus shortage). In 2016, GO route 20 got around 274 boardings per weekday, compared to 1472 for 185 Dixie Express.

I think that a connection between two local destinations would more successful as a local route with local fares. GO is for the region.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yes, I'd definitely agree, Doady.

The Route 20 was cut in June, but probably wasn't noticed much as it wasn't during the school year.

The massive outlet mall at Trafalgar Road is also inaccessible by public transit. Not so much for shoppers, but for the low-wage retail workers there. Despite its proximity to Brampton, Mississauga, Milton and Oakville, it's in Halton Hills, meaning that municipality has to enter an agreement for service. (The BT 11/511 service comes closest to it, at WCB and Steeles). It has no public transit, apart from the GO trains and buses along Highway 7.

Hieberrr

Member Bio
Reaction score
Are there any plans for development immediately around GO rail stations? I feel like it's a huge missed opportunity to not have higher density developments in those areas. It would aid with building out a true downtown or city centre and centralize business and entertainment.

I believe there are proposals for Burlington, Appleby and Aldershot?

Fritter

Member Bio
Reaction score
Are there any plans for development immediately around GO rail stations? I feel like it's a huge missed opportunity to not have higher density developments in those areas. It would aid with building out a true downtown or city centre and centralize business and entertainment.

I believe there are proposals for Burlington, Appleby and Aldershot?
I believe the Province is now having Metrolinx incorporate developments into new station builds. For example building joint condo and station like what is happening with the Mimico redevelopment.

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
Any updates about weekend service on the Kitchener Corridor.
Not happening for the foreseeable future. CN needs the Guelph sub, especially on weekends to do their freight operations, particularly those that involve switching with CP along the Huron park spur.

There's also a ton of construction at the 401 tunnels and Bramalea station that running any sort of weekend service isn't feasible at the moment. What I don't understand is why 30 service doesn't run on weekends.

timio

Member Bio
Reaction score
There'd need to be an express bus from Bramalea to Union to make the 30 running on weekends practical. The 25-21 works fine for the most part, although you need to get up to the universities to catch the express to make travel times reasonable.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
There'd need to be an express bus from Bramalea to Union to make the 30 running on weekends practical. The 25-21 works fine for the most part, although you need to get up to the universities to catch the express to make travel times reasonable.
Malton Station doesn't draw much ridership on the 31 bus in my experience, especially on weekends. Given Malton GO's relative isolation, I suspect that the Miway 30 bus to Islington draws more Toronto-bound traffic. But even the extra stop at Malton only adds a few minutes over a non-stop trip to Bramalea GO at most times.

I agree that the 25C is the only worthwhile branch for travelling directly from Toronto to Waterloo - the regular 25 has far too many stops off the highway that add at least 30 minutes to the trip.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not happening for the foreseeable future. CN needs the Guelph sub, especially on weekends to do their freight operations, particularly those that involve switching with CP along the Huron park spur.
surely there is a case for weekend train service between Union-Bramalea? Once the 401 tunnel is complete of course.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why not weekend train service from Bramalea to Union? Once the 401 tunnel is complete. It wouldnt interfere with CN, and you could have the weekend buses go to Bramalea.

Krypto98

Member Bio
Reaction score
surely there is a case for weekend train service between Union-Bramalea? Once the 401 tunnel is complete of course.
UP Express is already running 15 minute service on the same tracks. Frequencies below 30 minutes arent possible unless the tunnel is completed. Looking at the site the other day, they have fencing between the tracks and the tunneling site.
Probably should ask @smallspy about this.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
UP Express is already running 15 minute service on the same tracks. Frequencies below 30 minutes arent possible unless the tunnel is completed. Looking at the site the other day, they have fencing between the tracks and the tunneling site.
Probably should ask @smallspy about this.
The signalling system installed on the line can handle dual 15-minute frequencies without too much difficulty. The RTCs, on the other hand.....

What would make it tricky, however, are the other limitations within the corridor - for instance, the single platform at Etobicoke North, or the fact that the Barrie trains are currently limited to only a single track between Strachan and Parkdale.And the fact that the two different types of rolling stock have fairly different performance characteristics.

Weekend service is coming to the line - but the timing seems to be a bit fluid, to say the least.

Dan